Science Forums

Modifying paint ???

RiverRat

Obscure question ….

Can normal off the self water based and/or oil based paint be modified to have properties more similar to ‘rubber’ without complex or costly reactions?

Here is my goal … I want to ‘paint’ lead lures and jigs for fishing (my hobby). I have found that powder paint, epoxies and even vinyl are not very durable and chip under normal use.

I am looking for possible coatings that are extremely flexible, can be tinted and will bond strongly to lead.

???

Obscure question ….

Can normal off the self water based and/or oil based paint be modified to have properties more similar to ‘rubber’ without complex or costly reactions?

Here is my goal … I want to ‘paint’ lead lures and jigs for fishing (my hobby). I have found that powder paint, epoxies and even vinyl are not very durable and chip under normal use.

I am looking for possible coatings that are extremely flexible, can be tinted and will bond strongly to lead.

???

I would nitrate every third hydrocarbon chain, using the double hydroxylation technique under an inert atmoshper of argon and 1,1,1,1,tetraflouroethane in a stochiometric ratio of 3:1.

Just kidding, just buy that rubber coating paint stuff. Its the same stuff that they coat the handles of pliers and other tools with...

This stuff is called plastisol. It's Poly Vinyl Chloride finely dispersed in a thalate plasticizer. With heat applied the vinyl particles fuse and kind of disolve in the plasticizer and turn the liquid to a rubbery like solid.

C2H5OH: Nothing but trouble for me.

• 4 weeks later...