Science Forums

Evolution of the Mind

D.M.T.

Where are these studies? I've seen studies that disprove some psychics - although I don't know that it is possible to completely disprove it. I haven't seen any scientific studies that give creedence to the idea that people can sense things beyond what we know.

I've seen studies that disprove some psychics - although I don't know that it is possible to completely disprove it.

It hink it's easier to turn it around: So far any close scientific investigations of ESP, remote sensing, spoon-bending etc have either revealed that it was a scam (often unwittingly by the person in question) or that the abilities for some reason "do not work" when scientific personell are in the vicinity. :eek:

Here is the ESP entry in the online SkepDic:

http://skepdic.com/esp.html

___Hey Fish; do you have a glass jar with pencils in your room? That was my intuitive impression when I decided to try & have one about you. I have to know; please?

___Just because a person hasn't seen a study to affirm extrasensory perception, doesn't mean it isn't extant. Moreover, just because much of the 'evidence' is presented anecdoteley does make it invalid. Geologists regularly track down specific meteor falls strictly from anecdotal eye witness testimony. This isn't court, this is science; you must provide the same weight of evidence to deny as that which affirms.

___Yes, I so claim. I have done experiments similar to the one in the thread "Hypography Mind Experiment" , in which I believe to have positive results. That is, a friend of mine & I took turns being sender & receiver from miles apart & I perceived his 'thought' of an object & he perceived mine.

___By no means do I suggest this is validation for people like Sylvia Brown etc.; it is only validation for he & I. I have experienced ESP in a sufficiently controlled environment so as to convince me there is something to it.

___I also have another 'extra' sensory ability few people have. I feel earthquakes. This ability has been scientifically affirmed in the case of Charlotte King, & in fact the ability is called the "Charlotte King Effect. In short, I can "hear" VLF, ELF, & ULF frequencies. Feel them is more how I sense it.

___I live just 50 miles from Mt. St. Helens, & back in last August/September I began feeling almost constant shaking. I wrote USGS scientists, who continued to tell me everything is 'normal background' levels. That is until she blew! Then a lady scientist at USGS told me some people do have this ability, & refereed me to the work on Charlotte King. She further told me they (USGS) have no use for such ability.

___Since the mountain continues to erupt, I constantly feel it, & it may even have some bearing on my postings here, as I try to find distractions for myself from the sensory perception of the quakes.:naughty:

I replied earlier today, but I may have only told it to preview and actually not posted.. :hihi:

As for a jar w/ pens/pencils, no. while this would be a reasonable intuitive guess being that I am a teacher, I only have a pile in my desk drawer and a few scattered about on my desk (I'm really organized... :naughty: ).

I think a lot of "premonition" is just good guess work. It is a lot easier also if you have people that are "believers". You see these guys in front of a crowd saying thjings like, "I see someone with a relative with the letter ''s"in their name..." Who doesn't?

Geologists regularly track down specific meteor falls strictly from anecdotal eye witness testimony.

Tracking an event from eyewitness accounts is much different from non-verifiable events that are "witnessed". How many sailors saw mermaids? The human memory is not a very good objective recording medium.

On the other hand, I have seen a study that involved a computer generating random numbers and a set of volunteers that tried to "alter" the results by thinking about and "projecting" their thoughts at the system. I do not recall the exact method, but it was something like you want a number over 50 or under 50. The results were statistically viable that the random generation was affected and the output tended to lean toward what the volunteers were trying for. I do not know if this experiment has been repeated with similar results though. (The volunteers were also spatially seperated from the system at various distances ranging from the next room to different towns.)

___Princeton is currently running a computer experiment using what they are calling 'eggs'. Each egg is a computer doing nothing but generating random numbers & storing them. They then observe the collected data in order to set a background, as well as doing mind experiments directed at the eggs & observing those results. They try to keep it rather quiet because if a bunch of people start thinking about those eggs, it may skew the results.

___It is claimed all the eggs experienced a significant variation (spike) just hours before 9/11. This experiment continues still. Quiche anyone?:hyper:

i think the point is something to do with esp... somehow, people influenced the outcome of random numbers just by thinking...

that is crazy. it does seem like that would be an easy, cut and dry solution though. either there is significant variation or there isn't. seems to be about as independent as it gets. i've not seen any evidence for esp, is this the first? that would be wierd...