Science Forums

New English book

I've written a book (first in series) for teaching English in what I consider a novel and hopefully useful way but because I'm possibly an Aspergers Syndrome sufferer it may be too different for most tastes. I've asked for advice and reactions to it in other sections of Hypography Forums but suddenly realized that this might be the most appropriate place, given its subject matter.

It can be found at Lulu.com, under Education and Language, in 'Buy' section. Its entitled 'Logic Lists English' by Tony Sandy and 'preview' material of selected pages will be found there. I've had two responses so far. One from somebody in the field of Dyslexic publishing, who dismissed as "Just rows of words" and Symbology (here) who pointed out that the introduction was in the passive voice, rather than the active - which wouldn't help sell it. Any other comments would be helpful as it's been on sale since August and I haven't managed to shift one book so far (I was told ages ago by a publisher, that I would need to get it used somewhere as nobody in the field would risk money on an untried idea and it looks like that is just what I'll have to do but I'm no trained teacher).

It’s not clear to me who is being addressed in you textbook, and who the intended students are. I honestly can’t tell if you mean it for preschool, elementary, main population, or language impaired, college or post-grad language or education student, or teachers? An effective textbook must answer these questions in its introduction.

Without this information, I doubt a potential textbook purchaser would even consider reviewing it. Also, I doubt a traditional academic textbook purchaser would consider buying a book from other than an experienced textbook publisher, and certainly not from LuLu.com.

Textbook publishing appears to me, with my limited experience with it (I’ve known a few faculty who had specialized graduate-level textbooks published, one who had a remedial Math and an undergad Education textbook published, and an academic MD who had a Med textbook published), to be a very specialized business. I council against attempting it independently – you really need at least the mentoring of an academic or an experienced textbook writer or professional editor. LuLu.com, IMHO, is useful only for very obscure niche books (for example, I bought a book there written by a movie enthusiast about a obscure non-English horror movie).

It’s not clear to me who is being addressed in you textbook, and who the intended students are. I honestly can’t tell if you mean it for preschool, elementary, main population, or language impaired, college or post-grad language or education student, or teachers? An effective textbook must answer these questions in its introduction.

Without this information, I doubt a potential textbook purchaser would even consider reviewing it. Also, I doubt a traditional academic textbook purchaser would consider buying a book from other than an experienced textbook publisher, and certainly not from LuLu.com.

Textbook publishing appears to me, with my limited experience with it (I’ve known a few faculty who had specialized graduate-level textbooks published, one who had a remedial Math and an undergad Education textbook published, and an academic MD who had a Med textbook published), to be a very specialized business. I council against attempting it independently – you really need at least the mentoring of an academic or an experienced textbook writer or professional editor. LuLu.com, IMHO, is useful only for very obscure niche books (for example, I bought a book there written by a movie enthusiast about a obscure non-English horror movie).

Thanks for the bucket of cold water but you're probably right about Lulu, speciality marketing et al (They were the only ones who'd consider it - mainstream publishers only looked at it once, in the form of a reader who moved on before I finished the book: Sent her samples).

As for who it is aimed at that at least is described in the introduction - secondary school, adult literacy, remedial and second language usage, with junior volume to come later.

This was an analysis of all the different types of material I found in a standard dictionary, plus other odd volumes like idiomatic English. Maybe I am too much like a computer to reach ordinary people but when the Daleks invade, they'll need me!

Thanks for the comments! Helpful, sad and a waste of time like me!:sherlock:

The only thing I can say in my defence is that you can't start a revolution by following everyone else (Marching to the sound of a different drum(Theroux)/ "I'm supposed to be leading the revolution - which way did it go?" Ashleigh Brilliant)

It's not a fictional book but a textbook, Tormod, or were you just being facetious?;)

Ahh... I just saw this in the first post:

"...for teaching English in what I consider a novel..." and thought we were discussing a novel... :doh:

Point taken. :hihi:

Ahh... I just saw this in the first post:

"...for teaching English in what I consider a novel..." and thought we were discussing a novel... :doh:

Point taken. :hihi:

That's the trouble when there is two or more meanings to a word - this would be covered in Volume three, if it ever 'got' to that stage! (I originally wrote the whole series of books (ten volumes, including two supplemental books, a junior version and two spelling/ pronunciation variations for the first two books), then axed them when I could get a publisher - by 'axed' I mean took an axe to them: After 20years of not getting anywhere, I despaired and dumped the lot (1st World, Communist, 3rd World publishers, little press publishers - you name it I tried it). Then along came internet publishing on demand* in the form of Lulu, so I had another go).

It would be so cool if one Hypographer could buy this book and review it for us! We should ask Chacmool...isn't she a language lover?

CraigD did a good write up of the samples available as well as the publisher but if Chacmool is the language lover perhaps she could look at the samples too, to see if her interest is aroused but she doesn't need to buy the book, unless it grabs her imagination like it grabbed mine.

I'm obsessed by the book series as an idea but like they say "If only our friends liked each other, like we love them" and that goes for my books too. I can't see why people don't see their worth like I see theirs as a race. Like Dr Who, I have high regards for human potential but I don't see it being actualized to the degree I'd wish, when it comes to logic and straight thinking. Perhaps I'm arrogant to think that the way I see things should help humanity but perhaps that is love (obsession)?:hihi:

As for distributing books via new publishers, I think it's great that you dare to try. I am a fan of e-books (although I mostly read the e-version of books that exist in print, via ereader.com), and if there was an e-version of your book available for use on for example Palm I'd buy it in an eyeblink.