Science Forums

Migraines

Do you get migraine headcahes? If so how often?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you get migraine headcahes? If so how often?

• I get a migraine once a month
    • I get a migraine once every three months
    • I get a migraine once evey six months
    • I get a migraine once every twelve months
    • I never get migraines.
    • I get "piainless migraines"
    • I get headaches but I would not call them migrains

Actually my migraines can occur up to twice a month on average (or used to), lasting three days usually, in spates of several months.

Causes? Hormonal/ biochemical imbalance in my case, initiated by anger outburst, the prequel of which was a panic attack (Fear that I was too slow i.e. asleep, to control situation I found myself in; for instance yesterday when I was printing a great big long screed of material and realized I didn't have enough paper to complete it, without running out).

I know anger sparks them off because I never had them until I moved house once and found the guy above me was too noisy, to allow proper concentration upon what I was doing. The migraines started that weekend and have plagued me ever since.

A subsequent cause is hypoglycaemia but that I've discovered only occurs as a result of several attacks over a period of time, draining me of reserves because of the discharge of energy involved.

Plus's? I come back with renewed energy and ideas. Minus's? I go away because I can't face the world anymore as I feel I'm banging my head on a brick wall (A favourite occupation of Aspies, which I don't need to do as the damage to the brain is all internal - perhaps that is why we have more grey matter?).

According to an article in The Mail On Sunday, you need to worry if you don't have hangovers. Dr Henry Bieler called migraines 'Glorified Hangovers' and that certainly seems to be true to a degree. Dr John Harrison, wrote a book called 'Love your Disease - It's the Only Thing Keeping you Healthy' and I'd agree with that too. I believe if it wasn't for my attacks, no matter how severe, I'd be in a worse state than I am because the illness balances out the symptoms by getting rid of the toxins that cause the problem.

I've always advocated the testing of migrainuers vomit because I believe that what the body throws out is what upsets it (toxins). I had a graphic account of this in distilled coffee once and now realize that what could be Gluten might explain why it is usually a clear discharge.

Another point. Unlike Michaelangelicas thread on depression, where I quoted Dr Paul Keedwell as saying that the experience of this condition, gives people empathy for others, through mutual suffering - migraine has never done this for me but has led to fascination with the subject (Maybe that's the Aspergers poking through?)

My migraine problems usually come out of the blue and linger on for the rest of the day. When it starts nothing much helps. I don't suffer from depression but probably from stress, so regular exercise helps me keep in shape but the migraine problems don't go away. They do seem related to weather changes though but I can't say for sure how that works.

My migraine problems usually come out of the blue and linger on for the rest of the day. When it starts nothing much helps. I don't suffer from depression but probably from stress, so regular exercise helps me keep in shape but the migraine problems don't go away. They do seem related to weather changes though but I can't say for sure how that works.

Maybe its low pressure? I discovered a connection between The Bends, Altitude Sickness, Migraines and Alcohol Poisoning and it all seems to revolve around changes in pressure, whether internally or environmentally generated. Hyperbaric Chambers work on divers by repressurising their blood streams, slowly and Gamow Bags or similar work on Mountain Sickness in the same way. I always wondered if the latter could be used to help Migraine sufferers, if a mountaineering club or mountain rescue team could be persuaded to lend one to us?

What are painless migraines? I've only had a few full-blown migraines with all the symptoms, but sometimes I have aura only. It may manifest as light sensitivity plus a spot of light, or in worse cases, as a jagged rainbow-coloured oval framing nothing at all. (During one such attack I looked into the mirror, and couldn't see my face, though the area outside the "frame" was clearly visible. I didn't see black - I saw, well, a slightly shimmering nothing.) This is sometimes followed by headache of variable severity, and there may be some nausea beforehand, though rarely severe.

I found rubbing lavender oil into the areas around my eyes, my temples and my neck, taking aspirin and lying down in a dark room helps. Triggers appear to be diet, stress, eyestrain, hormonal and bright sunlight. The most powerful dietary triggers appear to be coffee and oranges (but not tea or other citrus fruit).

My migraines used to debilitate me for 2 or 3 days. Besides the pain it was equally unbearable to miss work / school / life for that long. Thanks to Imitrex the duration is now a couple hours or less. As long as I take it before I start vomiting I'm ok.

I think it's very conclusive that migraines are caused by overly dilated blood vessels. A sure way to cause a migraine even in someone who doesn't get them is to take an excess of nitroglycerin. Nitro dilates blood vessels. A good way to stop a migraine is to take Imitrex or another of that family of drugs which have the main effect of constricting blood vessels.

It's a very, very awful condition to have and I have a lot of sympathy for fellow sufferers. I've been told by more than one person they don't believe migraines are real including my grade school nurse who was subsequently cleaning up my vomit from her office. I recommend such people take 3 nitros and call me in the morning.

-modest

• 2 weeks later...

Do you remember Michaelangelica, talking about Feverfew and saying it had a bitter taste, which you were told or thought had something to do with its efficacy? Well I had the insight recently that bitter tastes lead to withdrawal of contact (salt on a snails tail) and maybe that was why it had to be bitter to work. This would imply that sweetness or advancement into reality has to be curtailed by its opposite. I remember as a child being told by my elders (and betters?) that medicine had to taste nasty to work - maybe this is the same thing? (It would be interesting to see if this idea is a worldwide phenomena or just a local (Western?) idea?).

Do you remember Michaelangelica, talking about Feverfew and saying it had a bitter taste, which you were told or thought had something to do with its efficacy? Well I had the insight recently that bitter tastes lead to withdrawal of contact (salt on a snails tail) and maybe that was why it had to be bitter to work. This would imply that sweetness or advancement into reality has to be curtailed by its opposite. I remember as a child being told by my elders (and betters?) that medicine had to taste nasty to work - maybe this is the same thing? (It would be interesting to see if this idea is a worldwide phenomena or just a local (Western?) idea?).

I just remember reading a herbalist saying that bitter tastes stimulated something (liver?).

Bitter herbs like Quassia were taken to promote appetite.

And taking bitters is common in some middle European countries-to assist digestion-- most contain a swag of alcohol.

Angostura 'bitters' is still a popular flavoured "bitter".

Some European 'liqueur bitters' I have tried are definitely an acquired taste.

ironically most migraine drugs take 2-3 hours to work, by which time the migraine is gone

Very definitely an oversimplification. If I don't take migraine medicine the *instant* it appears, it has no effect at all.

Mostly medication helps reduce symptoms, but it is difficult to remove the headaches completely in my situation.

Very definitely an oversimplification. If I don't take migraine medicine the *instant* it appears, it has no effect at all.

Mostly medication helps reduce symptoms, but it is difficult to remove the headaches completely in my situation.

Some migraines may be caused by blood vessel constriction others by blood vessel expansion.

So a hot compress will help some; a cold compress will help others.

I remember reading that fresh Lemon Balm tea helps migraine but only those that are helped by a hot/ cold? compress!!

Sorry I have forgot which one.

But it is an easy herb to grow (in the mint family) and makes a pleasant mild lemon tasting tea.

So it may be wort ago? (pun an unintentional typo!).:)

Caffeine is often prescribed for migraine headaches

What does it do contract or dilate blood vessels?

Are they still using ergot (the wheat fungus) style drugs?

Is peripheral arteritis anything to do with migraine?

Has anyone read the Sachs book on Migraine. He is usually a source of great insight and a good read.

Count me in as another migraine sufferer. I've had the classic migraine cycle (2 to 3 days every month) every year starting in Jan and ending in March for years.

I also get the Coital Cephalgia Migraine (they really suck) from time to time, and the painless migraine (Acephalgic migraine) at least once a month lately.

I find the Acephalgic to be the most distressing even though it never lasts much longer then an hour. I just hate the scintillating scotoma and it scares the shiznit out of me ever time. The only pain I have with the Acephalgic is an occasional dull ache behind my eye or one that zaps me when I really exert myself for the following day or so.

I took Depokote for them for awhile, but my valporic acid kept getting to high and it didn't work that well for me anyway. Ice packs and caffeine work well for an Coital Cephalgia Migraine, but nothing helps the Classic or Acephalgic.

Maybe its low pressure? I discovered a connection between The Bends, Altitude Sickness, Migraines and Alcohol Poisoning and it all seems to revolve around changes in pressure, whether internally or environmentally generated. Hyperbaric Chambers work on divers by repressurising their blood streams, slowly and Gamow Bags or similar work on Mountain Sickness in the same way. I always wondered if the latter could be used to help Migraine sufferers, if a mountaineering club or mountain rescue team could be persuaded to lend one to us?

Do we even want to know how you discovered a connection between those things? I hope it wasn't personal experience! My migrains do seem to be connected with pollen counts and lowering atmospheric pressure. A hurricane usually triggers a really bad episode of migraine pain!

Wiki mentions barometric pressure and Ion changes as triggers for migraine. (see below)

I know many teachers complain of kids behaviour just before a stom whern there is a build up of possitive irons. This stops when the rain falls and there are more negative ions.

Weather

Several studies have found some migraines are triggered by changes in weather. One study noted 62% of the subjects thought weather was a factor but only 51% were sensitive to weather changes.[48] Among those whose migraines did occur during a change in weather, the subjects often picked a weather change other than the actual weather data recorded. Most likely to trigger a migraine were, in order:

1. Temperature mixed with humidity. High humidity plus high or low temperature was the biggest cause.

2. Significant changes in weather

3. Changes in barometric pressure

Another study examined the effects of warm chinook winds on migraines, with many patients reporting increased incidence of migraines immediately before and/or during the chinook winds. The number of people reporting migrainous episodes during the chinook winds was higher on high-wind chinook days. The probable cause was thought to be an increase in positive ions in the air.[49]

this is an interesting site on migraines

What is a symptom of migraines, and how are other headaches different?

Think you might have a symptom of migraines?

Knowing if you have a symptom of migraines or something else will give you the keys you need to find the right treatment. Even a doctor may misdiagnose you at first, so we're going to look closely at each symptom to see what your head may be trying to tell you!

Things to remember: Remember that the chances are good that you may get more than one

type of headache. You may have a symptom of migraines and tension headaches. Be aware that you may suffer from both! (One of the best books to help you decide what type of headache you have is from the "For Dummies" series – you guessed it, Migraines for Dummies! )

Secondly, remember that symptoms are not proof, only evidence. Headaches are complex so you should go to your doctor for help. We want to guide you through the facts so that you and your doctor can get to the truth and solve the problem.

You also need to know that a "typical" migraine ain't so typical! You may have drastically different symptoms from me, but still have migraine. Some people even have migraine without pain (silent migraine) or pain not in the head but somewhere else! We're all unique! :shrug:

Finally, remember that your symptoms may change over the years, and you may need to change your treatment to match.

Click here for quick ways to tell if it's migraine ...

Symptom of Migraines #1 – Aura

Symptom of Migraines #2 – Where's the pain (and when is it leaving)??

Symptom of Migraines #3 – Nausea

Symptom of Migraines #4 – Low tolerance for . . .

Light, odours, or noises.

Symptom of Migraines #5 – Circulatory problems

Symptom of Migraines #6 – Gastrointestinal Woes

Symptom of Migraines #7 – Behavioural Changes