Science Forums

Terraforming Mars

Thunderbird

It's quite possible that in space under null "g" conditions a gaseous core reactor might be a good idea, when it comes to doing things in space when you have haul stuff out of earths gravity well even nuclear will have to be as efficient as possible. I'm not sure if uranium occurs in usable concentrations in the asteroids so it might have to be hauled up from the Earth.

hauled up from the Earth

Up the nano-tube space elevator they're all working on? :phones:

Imagine this thing saving fuel... by the time you got to the end of it, the speed at the end from the earth's rotation would act like a giant slingshot. Just wait for the right point to disengage the clamps, and vooooom! (without any actual fuel!)

I mean, at the increased circumference, yet still keeping up with the earth's rotation, that sucker must be MOVING!

Anyone got the calculations for speed of the counterweight at the end of the space elevator?

Anyone got the calculations for speed of the counterweight at the end of the space elevator?

There's a good thread here regarding space elevators. It has lots of calculations and is a recommended read if you are into the possibility of a space elevator.

http://hypography.com/forums/space/5641-another-space-elevator-concept-4.html#post88187

• 3 months later...

Somehow, this question from a few months ago slipped under my radar

What energy source are you guessing we'll use under that plan? The electromagnetic stuff Jupiter throws off? (As is apparently visualised in Accelerando, the free online PDF book that I started reading but never finished...)
I haven't heard of the process you mentioned, i was thinking nuclear power would have to be used. An intense industrial site would need huge amounts of energy and at that distance from the sun solar is just too weak.

The energy source for the “Empire of Jupiter” Stross wrote about in Accelerando ...

Moderation note: The rest of this post and responses to it have been moved to a new thread, 23210, because they are off this thread’s topic, terraforming Mars

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Saxon Violence Necromancing here.....

But Dudes, it is Like:

Has anyone heard of the concept of "Paraterraforming"?

On Mars, it should be possible to build Skyscrapers a Mile Tall.

Cover the Surface of Mars with Beaucoup 1 Mile High Skyscrapers.

Stretch a Thin, Strong Fabric between the Towers.

Inflate.

You don't lose atmosphere—at least not very fast—cause it's a closed system.

A mile of Atmosphere pumped up to 15 pounds per square inch is Good Insulation and UV protection.

If you find a Paraterraformed Mars too cool—Very Large Mylar Mirrors in Orbit can Concentrate and focus Extra solar energy.

Micro-Meteorites—Big Meteorites—Normal Wear and Tear.....

Created Organisms—Part Animal, Part Machine—Spend their lives clinging to the Underside of the Canopy, Repairing it where necessary, and Reproducing Sexually.

It only takes1% as much Water and Volatiles as a regular Terraforming.....

Only bad thing—no stars at night—the canopy would seriously blur them.

Sane and Respected Professors are championing this idea.

Wanna know something Really Neat?

Paraterraforming the Moon would be even easier.....

Saxon Violence