Science Forums

Question

Vaporinthewind

Hello, I was just wondering what the term was, if any, for when you say something and it can mean different things or be taken different ways depending on how you say it. for example, if i say to someone "wow u look great," it can be a compliment or it can be sarcasm. or, "why do you need to know where I live" could sound like either I have an attitude, or just asking a simple question, or I could be joking. etc. would that just be tone or inflection or what? i dont kno if that sounded overly complicated... so another way of putting it could be, is there a word meaning "the way you say something"

Hello, I was just wondering what the term was, if any, for when you say something and it can mean different things or be taken different ways depending on how you say it. for example, if i say to someone "wow u look great," it can be a compliment or it can be sarcasm. or, "why do you need to know where I live" could sound like either I have an attitude, or just asking a simple question, or I could be joking. etc. would that just be tone or inflection or what? i dont kno if that sounded overly complicated... so another way of putting it could be, is there a word meaning "the way you say something"

I think tone and inflection aptly describe aspects of the situation. Perhaps the term 'gestalt?'