Science Forums

Social structure of science

Freddy152

Hey there!

I'm searching good information regarding the social structure of science. I have a presentation on Monday but still lacking out the most information and i wanst able to find something good in our library and in the web yet.

If you can help me out with information, that'd be fine!!!

thanks,

Freddy

• 4 weeks later...

I am so sorry I come to this thread so late. Had I come to it sooner, I would have recommended you look into the importance of Newton and Locke in the development of the democracy of the US. Science is to democracy, what religions are to autocracies.

You see, religion claims to know the word of God, and it claims certain men are God's authority on earth. The is, the men of the church, are God's authority on earth, and especially fundamentalist like to believe their king or president is doing God's will and has a special connection with God.

The concept of democracy is built on the belief that, reason, is the controlling force of the universe, and the way to know truth is to study nature. Nature is revealed to everyone, as opposed to a God giving His message to one person, who then becomes God's authority on earth. Because Nature is revealed to everyone, that makes everyone who studies nature an authority on truth. We all have equal access to truth, and we all can reason, therefore, we can govern ourselves with reason. Not men ruling over men. Men governing themselves by understanding the reason of all things. Newton and Locke were men of science, vital to our acceptence of democracy.