Science Forums

An Imaginative Journey

^Matt^

G'Day,

I'm currently in my last year of schooling and my English work for the year involves selecting some texts and analysing the structure and meaning etc. Our topic is "Imaginative Journeys", which means that I need to chose a few texts (books, movies, games, songs, speeches, anything really) that somehow contain an imaginative element. For example, a book centred around an imaginary world (Lord of the Rings) or a movie detailing an individuals vision of the future of space exploration are perfect candidates.

So my question to this forum is: Do you have any suggestions on quality texts which you could recommend? Length, obscurity, and to some extent complexity are no barriers as i have the next few months to read and understand them.

I am almost through reading the "So what is everyone reading?" thread and have found a number of texts to check out at the library, but I would definately love some more suggestions.

Cheers!

I would suggest Stanislav Lem "futurological congress"; I don't want to tell you to much about the story because it risks to spoil your pleasure in reading it. But you can trust me it fits very well the definition of imaginative journey and it is quite short (in German it is about 130 pages so I think about the same in english).

The librarian with whom i spoke to said that Futurological Congress is a fantastic read and agrees with your assertion that it fits in perfectly with Imaginative Journey. The local library didn't stock it so it is being ordered in and should arrive in the next few days.

Thanks a lot!