Science Forums

Those Who We See, With Great Regard

Giles Corey

So, i apologize upfront if this thread has been made before, let alone not knowing where to post this one, i had very little idea of where to search for a pre-existing one.

SO!

Who are your heros?

Whom do you look up to in your time of darkness?

Why do they stick out in your mind, and empower you to do what you must?

Who are these great folks, that we call role models?

My awnsers-

#1- Carl Sagan -"To live in the hearts we leave behind is to never die."

To me carl sagan is damned near everything ive ever wanted to be, he is educated *So it seems at least* in just about anything that ive ever taken interest in.. He influences my mind, in philsophical ways, how to think about things before jumping into them, and when thinking of things on a grand scale, he is usually the first to come into my head.

This is why he is the reason behind thoughts.

#2- Galileo Galilei -He, but my definiton is all that is aspired by myself, on thoughts of logic, reason, and exploration. He instead of standing in my mind as great for what he did, moreso is there for what he was made to have to overcome to achieve the the conviction of his theories in a populice.

#3- Master Chief - (luagh as you may!) But i do have my reasons...

(This is more of a childhood, aspiration converted into a symbol of near perfection in an challenging environment, to excell and overcome challenges)

It is the total package in my mind, and it is easier to understand if you completely seperate the actual figure, from his triumphs and what was done to accomplish those. His physical dominance, his unmatched leadership skills, and his mental understanding. It the empowerment of perfection that he strived for, and I could only ever dream of following.

So there you have it, the Spirit, the Reasoning, the Deliverance.

• 5 weeks later...

Interesting that this thread has been ignored so long.

When I attended school, history was about conquest and conquer. We were still using the hero model of education and transmitting a culture. It was very important to learn about those who discovered the Americas. They were presented as heroes, not as terrible people who did terrible things to native Americans, or out self interest.

Education for technology dramatically changed what we hold is important to teach our young. The American heroes were destroyed, and this is both a good and bad thing. It sure as blazes puts Bush and McCain at odds with the young, who are more apt to see yesterday's heroes as today's villians.

Conquest and conquer is a thing of the past, and I think we are shifting to new role models. The choice of the great science thinkers, seems a mark of this shift.

I will choose, Socrates, Cicero, and Mother Teresa.

• 9 months later...

This may seem surprising coming from a non-American, but one of my heroes is a soldier from the American Civil War: a scholar and college professor who volunteered for service in the Union army when he didn't have to, who played a decisive part in the defence of a key Union position at the battle of Gettysburg (for which many years later he was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor) and sustained severe wounds in various actions during the rest of the war, who when deputed to received the surrender of Confederate troops after Appomattox commanded a display of military respect from the Union troops present towards their defeated opponents which contributed to the beginning of reconciliation, and who after the war played a prominent and respected part in public life (including serving as Governor of his native state of Maine).

I give you: Joshua L Chamberlain

satsumajin

• 1 month later...