Science Forums

The Bali Conference and The Road Ahead

Mohit Pandey

It seems that the world has now started paying attention to the Humanity's biggest test-climate change. The Noble Peace Prize 2007, awarded to AL gore and IPCC, has turned the spotlight on the man made problem of climate.

Moreover, in recently concluded Bali Conference, delegates of 187 countries and many environmental groups , met together to agree to a road map for a new climate change treaty over the next two years.

Under the Bali road map deal, the delegates essentially agreed to negotiate a treaty by 2009. The agreement says significant cuts in emissions will be required of industrialized countries, but does not specify the size of those cuts or whether they will be mandatory

This is the thread for everyone of us to discuss Bali Conference, Climate change and its impact, why US is opposing 'mandatory' emission cuts and yes, what we can do.

Online NewsHour: Analysis | Bali Climate Conference Concludes | December 17, 2007 | PBS

AlGore.com

ABC News: UN Kicks Off Bali Climate Conference

Online NewsHour: Analysis | Bali Climate Conference Concludes | December 17, 2007 | PBS

Here we would also discuss renewable sources of energy, their potential, advantage and disadvantage. I have started by giving links for solar energy and would post my views soon.

1. Solar Energy

Energy Resources: Solar power

Discover Solar Energy ADVANTAGES DISADVANTAGES | PROS and CONS of Solar Energy

Oh! I didn't know the scientific knowledge of U.S administration is so pathetic and contemptible that they don't know CO2 is a pollutant. Even a child of 8 years can tell that.:D

Someone send them back to school.:D

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/15/world/15climate.html

In April, the Supreme Court rejected the Bush administration’s contention that carbon dioxide was not a pollutant and ordered it to re-examine the case for regulating carbon dioxide from vehicles.

Thanks Mohit. Good idea for a thread. I referenced the Bali Declaration in post #66 of the CO2 Acqittal thread.

Long story short on delays... Because it impacts the bottom line. If it hurts profit it doesn't happen (even though that's a myopic view, and quite wrong when these changes are viewed the long run/larger context). A little seed money now to make these changes will go a long way toward adding to future profits... but very few companies are okay with committing that seed money to get the changes in place. Hence, status quo.

Long story short on delays... Because it impacts the bottom line. If it hurts profit it doesn't happen (even though that's a myopic view, and quite wrong when these changes are viewed the long run/larger context). A little seed money now to make these changes will go a long way toward adding to future profits... but very few companies are okay with committing that seed money to get the changes in place. Hence, status quo.

Not to mention the egotistical and ignorant superiority complex we like to display when we act like we don't have to do anything the international community wants us to do, because we are the greatest superpower the world has ever seen. :hihi:

Thanks for your replies.:ideamaybenot:

This shows that we are concerned about the health of our Earth.

It is well known fact that if we start a thing with an aim in our mind, then we are sure to get success. In the first post, I think I was not much clear about the topics of discussion. I would try to do that now by giving it in points--

1. Bali Conference and its impact on world governments.

2. The attitude of highest emitter of greenhouse gases in the whole world-UStowards 'mandatory' emission cuts .

3. To protect our environment using renewable energy- its pros and cons.

4. The most important-what we can and will do-.

For example, U.S citizens can pressurise Presidential candidates in the forthcoming Presidential Election for looking into the Climate Change Issue.

Moreover, this list is not permanent . It can be changed:)

Mohit, to address all those points would take a book:) I think most of the responses you get will limit themselves to one or two of the points.

As Infi said, the resistance of the US government is not due to lack of intelligence, but greed. Oil companies in the 90s saw GW as a threat to their bottom line.

That is slowly starting to change. However, the political parties in the US made it a political issue and have entrenched their positions.

Some state governments have taken the lead and many people are doing what they can on an individual basis.

Funny thing is, as more companies see how wrong the predictions of being enviornmentally friendly causing huge loss of business and profit, more businesses are also picking up the slack.

As for the "health of the earth" I have no concerns about that what so ever. The earth will get along just fine no matter what we do.

I have great concerns for the health of our species as that is what is at risk.

As for the "health of the earth" I have no concerns about that what so ever. The earth will get along just fine no matter what we do.

I have great concerns for the health of our species as that is what is at risk.

Isn't the two-health of the Earth and the health of our species- interconnected? I agree that the Earth will get along just fine no matter what we do. But the Earth will do at the cost of our health.

• 2 months later...
Isn't the two-health of the Earth and the health of our species- interconnected? I agree that the Earth will get along just fine no matter what we do. But the Earth will do at the cost of our health.

They are..when we think of it from an anthropogenic point of view! However, we are no more dear to the planet...than the dinasaurs and if they could go down forever...so can we! And the way we've been polluting and the unconcern that we've been showing :worried:...I think it's time for the "Revenge of the Gaia" !!