Science Forums

Where have all the poems gone, long time passing?

paigetheoracle

Hmmm, interesting, tell me how they need to change.

Into eminem

My palms are sweaty need enough rhymes to keep this rap steady have I used spaghetti already or a yeti at a wedding throwing confetti at steady eddy man I'm goona floor us I got a thesaurus for the words in the chorus there's like taurus porous and brontosaurus...

Any MORON could do that.

Sadly the public is a moron (more-on, less-off). It wants a shallow grave or an Abu Graib for entertainment. What it doesn't want is to think or feel - to have a conscience, just get unconscious through drugs, alcohol and self-worship (celebrity that is nothing to celebrate over). To be 'response-able,' means to be present and sense, so you can make sense of the world - not drown your senses in alcohol, so that you become insensible*. Nobody wants to 'be here'. They are all running away - not into fantasy but oblivion. "It wasn't me!" "I wasn't even there!" "I didn't see anything" "I'm innocent (gullible)". This is a science site but the world is becoming an awful sight (Not the word I was originally going to use but it rhymed).

*Is that rap or crap?:phones:

Hi Paige,

I don't know if you recognize this author, but in checking my reference I see he shared an interest as you do, in stimulating children's creativity. So here's a Wiki real quicky: >> William Hughes Mearns - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Turtle Out :phones:

Thanks! - will look him up (Of course he may not be there but do I care? Do I despair? Maybe I'll just blankly stare at the stair and get on with my life repair).

I always thought Lewis Carrol wrote it because it was in 'Alice in Wonderland'. Seems I'm wrong (again - oh the pain, oh the shame!)

Yeh, fits in with :('Logic Lists English' because it's all rows of rhyming words. I can't teach by numbers because I'm no Math genius - perhaps I'm suffering from penius envy?

I don't mind poetry becoming more accessible. While I can get touched by the classics, I find more pleasure in intelligent, contemporary poetry and lyrics. I think a lot of current singer-songwriters are great poets.

Robert Frost was a revelation to me when I was in college (as he was to a lot of people). I tend to like the shorter poets that have a certain depth to them, rather than endless pages of rhymes which just don't work for me.

Hi Paige,

I don't know if you recognize this author, but in checking my reference I see he shared an interest as you do, in stimulating children's creativity. So here's a Wiki real quicky: >> William Hughes Mearns - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Turtle Out :phones:

Hi Turtle - thought you might like this variation about Gordon Brown, Britains new (and invisible) leader.

'At Downing Street

upon the stair,

I met a man who

wasn't Blair.

He wasn't Blair

again today.

Oh how I wish

he'd go away!'

Unnamed Cabinet minister

• 11 months later...

To get back to the original question, I think there are so many modes of self-expression that poetry as an art form might be naturally in eclipse.

I am a visual person who has written some poetry and fiction but have only published history and news stories. I feel fine about that, although those are not in a visual medium, unless you consider print to be visual, which could be argued.

I have a feeling that the intensity and beauty of language will always be with us. I hope those qualities will be diluted into the mainstream. If all writing has elements of poetry, all readers will be elevated by the simple act of reading.

Please think of all writing as at least part poetry.

--lemit

p.s. I should read back through the thread before I suggest something others may have already said, but wasn't the not-there man poem done by Edgar Lee Masters? Probably not.

i believe poetry is alive, the def poet jam on showtime

poets in coffee shops

they are everywhere

because poetry is an expression,

symbols, slang, emotion, feeling

these make up a poem

-----

to unite all nations

alive in a task

link on a level

alive with the mass

different perspectives