Science Forums

Environmental Landscaping

Cedars

Time to ponder next springs plantings and planning for the next year!

Urban sprawl has become an issue and some places are putting in regulations regarding new developments and native plantings (florida is one example) where several counties and cities (including tampa) have insisted on up to 50% of yard must be native plantings (trees, shrubs, grasses, flowers).

Rain gardens have become quite popular around here (some links in weather watching). We worked on our yard around here 15 years ago to stop the run-off from the roof. I wasnt able to figure out how to get the driveway to run off into the yard but we sloped the ditch and it holds most of our run off now (except spring melts and HUGE down pours. I noticed some road work being done locally involved placing the culverts much higher than the bottom of the ditch and different culvert openings. Now I know what the effort was... little roadside rain gardens!

Heres some links I found for different regions and all have varied tips for landscaping:

Arizona

Desert Connections Project

Wildlife & Conservation Resources

Tennessee:

TWRA - Habitat Management

Washington State (oregon state linked to Washington State info):

WDFW -- Backyard Wildlife Sanctuary Program

Woodland Fish and Wildlife

Missouri:

Appendix Information

Private Land

Ohio:

Wildlife Habitat Management Plans

Educator Resources

Virginia:

Rain Gardens

Warning PDF! details start at page 18 but whole doc is worth a read (1.2 MB):

http://www.dof.virginia.gov/resinfo/resources/Riparian-Forest-Handbook_1.pdf

Other links:

Publications and Reports | Virginia Department of Forestry |

Wisconsin:

Links to many publications:

WDNR - Wildlife and Your Land Publications

Rain garden manual (excellent doc)

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/water/wm/dsfm/shore/documents/rgmanual.pdf

Comprehensive Wildlife Conservation Strategy

This comes up in many searches and each state seems to have one submitted. One may be able to find documents via google with

"stateName" and "Comprehensive Wildlife Conservation Strategy" as search parameters. While not specific to landscaping, each one of these CWCS docs indicates areas of concern and most have lists of valuable plants, trees, shrubs that are native to their state.

While searching around state by state for available Free information for landowners to develop natural areas, its become obvious some states provide many more services of this nature to their people than others. Usually, there is at least a surrounding state that provides a wealth of information that could be adapted to the neighboring states needs.

Maryland has a pretty comprehensive site. I really like the Landscaping for Wildlife section. There are supplemental drawings for decks, small yards and larger yards to help visualize a plan.

Wild Acres Program - Wildlife & Heritage Service

Kentucky offered some pretty good information. I read up on the brush pile section and learned (refreshed) something I knew about cedar trees and hinge cuts. They need more pictures but provide good information all around:

KY: Kentucky Dept Fish and Wildlife - Habitat How-To's