Science Forums

Absurd

Queso

You really need to conform more! ;)

Quit taking those "devil drugs", i.e. Pot, 'Shrooms, and Peyote, and pick up a prescription for Paxil, Prozac, and Zoloft instead.

The War on Drugs and its propoganda machine is an unmitigated sucess!

Why worry about Nirvana, enlightenment, and spiritual vibrations? You need to go to a good Christian church and absorb all the bullshit they peddle.

Then you will be FREE!! Free to express your creativity.

:(:eight::doh:

Church + Anti depressants + a regular 9-5 job = What You shouldbe doing instead. :hihi:

You really need to conform more! ;)

Quit taking those "devil drugs", i.e. Pot, 'Shrooms, and Peyote, and pick up a prescription for Paxil, Prozac, and Zoloft instead.

The War on Drugs and its propoganda machine is an unmitigated sucess!

Why worry about Nirvana, enlightenment, and spiritual vibrations? You need to go to a good Christian church and absorb all the bullshit they peddle.

Then you will be FREE!! Free to express your creativity.

:D;):doh:

Church + Anti depressants + a regular 9-5 job = What You shouldbe doing instead. :hihi:

:doh:Uh DUH!!!:doh: Yet another D.D. blond moment!:hihi:(what the hell I used to be able to detect sarcassm a mile away?!?)

"Church + Anti depressants + a regular 9-5 job = What You shouldbe doing instead." Aaaaaaaah the good ol new American way of life.

I miss being a conforming non-conformist! (not)

I do miss the trappings of youth though....Aaaaaaaaah to be young again.

Ever hopefull for what tomorow might bring. To still believe in world peace.

to still believe it is possible to change the world for the better...God dammit I want ME back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to BE ME!!!!! Not the cynical ******* life has made me....But ME! open, optimistic, enthusiastic, caring, kind, pacifistic, adventurous ,intelligent, confident ME!!!!!!!!!

O.k. I'm done ranting....I'm sorry.... I'll be good....

I have a question:

What is the most difficult thing to do: to satisfy all your desires or to dominate one ?

In my opinion:

1.Trying to dominate one of yours desires is self- control or self suppression.

2. Doing something difficult makes you happy.

I saw a movie about samsara or saṃsāra ( refers to the cycle of reincarnation or rebirth in Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, Sikhism and other related religions); so they believe that in their "lifes" a human person have the opportunity to satisfy all desires , but not everybody have enough power to dominate one of his desires.

I have a question:

What is the most difficult thing to do: to satisfy all your desires or to dominate one ?

In my opinion:

2. Doing something difficult makes you happy.

I saw a movie about samsara or saṃsāra ( refers to the cycle of reincarnation or rebirth in Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, Sikhism and other related religions); so they believe that in their "lifes" a human person have the opportunity to satisfy all desires , but not everybody have enough power to dominate one of his desires.

That is very interesting omedetou.

So if one is satisfying all desires and is happy, is that happiness superficial?

Hypography. Come on.

How ignorant can you be?

Here we go again.

You guys are so annoying sometimes, eh

Er... okay. Sorry 'bout that.

There are so many people on this planet that can vouch for creative enhancement with herbs/plants/fungi.

Unfortunately, Science and the Truth ain't no democracy. Lemmings will vouch for the joy of jumping off cliffs. Happy tripping, little lemming!

I work with musicians and artists every day of my life. Amazing, wise, talented people. Open minded, strong, unique people.

Like I told you in PM, I make my living out of my own personal creativity. And there isn't a drug to be found in my house, nor amongst my friends. I think you might be confusing causality here. The one does not require the other.

LSD causes, amongst other sensory delusions, sensory "crossover", where you get the distinct feeling that you're hearing a colour or smelling a noise. That might make you think you're experiencing some sort of "creative" moment. You're not. You're just f*cking with your brain, dude. The last organ in the body to be f*cked with, in my opinion. Go and screw up your kidney, rather - you do have a spare for that one.

And some of you just refuse to believe it. Say it's just an illusion.

"Awww, mom! The kids don't play fair! They don't wanna listen to me! Only I know the Truth! They're such a bunch of idiots!"

- Typical trollish behaviour.

I've got a solution for you:

Go and take your drug-postings somewhere else, and when you have a bona-fide science-related issue, post it at Hypo. I seem to remember having this exact same conversation with you a few times now. Doesn't seem to help. What are we gonna have to do with you to keep up the integrity of the site rules and the intent of Hypo? If we allow these postings, it will result in a "free-for-all" forum where the rules don't mean much, and we'll sink into a swamp of pointless postings with no relation to what the site's about. There are plenty such forums around, and I, quite frankly, don't want to be a member of any of them precisely because of this.

What do you propose?

Well guess what,

our entire reality is an illusion if you want to look at it that way.

If bliss, creativity, oneness, love, vibrations, truth, divinity, and sacred medicines are illusions, then so be it.

"Bliss, creativity, oneness, love, vibrations, truth, divinity, sacred medicines...".

Names given to the jumble and confusion of sensory input at tripping time. A naive mind may attribute magical qualities to the dope. An informed mind will see it for what it is, and deal with it objectively. A naive mind will go on in raptures for all eternity about how awesome the "vibrations" and the "oneness" and the "spiritual truth" and "divinity" and all that (totally subjective) tripe works, an informed mind will say "Oh dear, this is getting tedious and repetitive. Move along now, little dopehead - we grownups have more important things to discuss".

Either way

none of you can explain how this works.

Yes, we can. Sensory input confusion will look, smell, feel and taste different to everybody. But sadly, it's not the "Truth" you so dearly seek. Ironically, it's quite the opposite. But, hey - whatever floats your boat, my man.

The hindu people have been able to achieve samadhi (nirvana) naturally for thousands of years.

I put it to you that the achievement of "Nirvana" in the Hindu definition is totally, completely and physically impossible. Fancy fairytales might come down the generations about those mystics being able to achieve a total state of mindlessness, having completely clear and empty minds. But here's the dilemma: How do you know your mind's clear? The moment you realise that, you've not got a clear mind anymore. Realisation of anything takes some synapses to fire. I think you're romanticising something you don't completely understand in order to justify your recreational drug habits. You're looking for some justification, and I'm telling you there are none. The only "Truth" to be found lies in accepting reality for what it is and to deal with it on its own terms. That, my friend, is "Truth".

There are countless reports of gurus, sadhus, "masters", buddhist monks, etc...who were given LSD and reported they see the visions that their elders passed down. Like the sri yantra, for example.

Yep. It's called "Tripping". I'm amazed that you can't see that simple "truth".

They do this by opening up their chakras and the divine white light that SO MANY PEOPLE SPEAK OF leaks inthru their head and fills their soul with oneness.

No. They do this by "Tripping". The effects of LSD is also dependent on the user's expectations. If you expect flying elephants before you take a hit, chances are you'll see one. SO MANY LEMMINGS can see exactly what they want, it's meaningless if they all took a hit with the same expectations. Your samples are soiled. By the way - what's a "divine white light"? Sounds extremely un-scientific to me.

This isn't something any average human can do.

It takes YEARS of dedication,

or 1250micrograms of LSD.

...or starvation. Many people rescued from starvation have reported intense hallucinations. Anything that scrambles your mind will do the trick. But, my friend, sad as it is to say, its an illusion of reality, not even close to reality or anything resembling closeness to anything at all. Deal with reality on its own terms.

Do you know about MKULTRA?

Read about that.

The government thought LSD was the "key to life" for years until they came to the conclusion they couldn't control it and banned it because it turned so many people against "government" 'cause we with our third eyes open can see clearly past all the bullshit.

Ah... sure. The CIA's program of studying mind control, using hallucigenic drugs. Part of it was illegal (in terms of the Nuremberg convention), the whole of it was immoral. It was stopped after public disapproval. Nothing, nowhere in any documentation regarding MKULTRA was the objective stated to search for "the key to life". Nothing, nowhere does it state that the operation had anything to do with a "Third eye". Everything in the above quote is typical conspiracy-theory bullshit spouted by numerous websites promoting drug use. All the "bullshit" you mention is civic responsibility pertaining to the running of an efficient country. Paying taxes, following the law. To the letter. Including that tiny bit about hallucigenic drugs.

It's not a big deal at all.

It's simply amazing.

I feel so bad for anyone who doesn't understand this.

Quite frankly, Orb, I feel bad for you not understanding my point of view. Luckily, there are rehabilitation centers for people with your problem. The thing is, you have to admit it first.

Why doesn't science embrace the divine?

Because you can't understand it?

No. Because "divinity" is unscientific. Define God for me. Or Bhudda. In purely scientific terms. Will that go under "physics" (he did create the universe, after all), or will it go under medical science, subheading "Mental illness and delusions"? What we can understand is the scientific workings behind your tripping. And that's worthy of discussion. But, like all science, objectivity is the key word. If you can stay on that particular bus without falling off, sure - we can discuss it. If you mention just once how cool it is to be tripping, you've fallen off the science bus. Sorry. That's the way the cookie gets completely stomped on, but hey - that's science. Ante up or give it up.

Yet you try and define black holes?

Yes. Although they've never been seen, they are a logical conclusion to simple Laws of Physics. Matter causes what we perceive as gravity. More matter causes more gravity. Gravity bends light. What will happen when you pile enough matter into a given space? Hence black holes. Nothing weird, magical, ABSURD or mumbo-jumbo'ish about that particular topic. There's more "truth" in black holes (although they've never been seen) that there is any truth in any divinity you'd care to mention. And you don't even have to take a hit to get stoned on how weird this universe is.

ABSURD.

Yeah, well. Such is life, hey?

So - in conclusion:

Orb, you've posted this in the "test" forum, where the rules are very lax. I don't actually care. I've had this particular discussion with you way too often to think that you're going to be bothered by my response, or even will bother to read it.

Hypography is in essence a science forum. We can discuss the workings and machinations behind hallucigenic drugs. No problem. But subjectivity isn't scientific. Gravity isn't awesomely good or bad - we describe gravity scientifically, objectively. Same with LSD.

Or any other drug you'd care to mention.

So, in other words, consider yourself warned.

I have a question:

In my opinion:

2. Doing something difficult makes you happy

I'd have to say either one..

It would depend very much one which you would like to dominate

and how difficult would it be to simply be satisfied with all.

Both would be almost impossible...

There is a difference between satisfied and absolutely, completly, 100%content, couldn't be any more satisfied (for lack of a better word).

For example I have an 8 year old Ranger I'm saticfied with it...BUT I'd much rather own a brand new F-350 turbo diesel...It would most definitly make me much much much more content with my transportation situation.

(Making several trips to haul the same load that would easily be carried in one trip using a bigger rig sucks and it costs more in fuel, wear and tear, and time lost):thumbs_up

Of course between is the happy medium, a used F-350 that is newer than my present rig by a few years. (can't afford this option yet though)

This middle ground is where I'd like to be, not just in the transportation department but in all aspects of my life. Compromise can be a good thing!:)