Science Forums

Electro-shock resistance

sanctus

The question: why is it possible that some people are resistant to a given frequency of current?

The story: I'm doing part of my civil service by a bio-farmer at the moment and then he told me that once they were collecting pears, when his daughter climbed the fence were periodically (i.e. once per second) there is a small tension (you know the usual fences to keep the cows inside). She touched it to check before climbing and since she felt nothing she climbed it. So far so good, then her grandmother asked if there was tension (she hadn't seen her climbing) and the daughter answered no since she had felt nothing. The farmer told me that this was the last time his mother ever came collecting pears, since when you don't expect the electro-shck it is quite a shock you get.

The question: why is it possible that some people are resistant to a given frequency of current?

The story: I'm doing part of my civil service by a bio-farmer at the moment and then he told me that once they were collecting pears, when his daughter climbed the fence were periodically (i.e. once per second) there is a small tension (you know the usual fences to keep the cows inside). She touched it to check before climbing and since she felt nothing she climbed it. So far so good, then her grandmother asked if there was tension (she hadn't seen her climbing) and the daughter answered no since she had felt nothing. The farmer told me that this was the last time his mother ever came collecting pears, since when you don't expect the electro-shck it is quite a shock you get.

It's a tough call from a single anecdote, but possibly the dryness of skin and/or the type of shoes worn. In the first case, even if the subject is grounded their skin isn't as conductive as moist/sweaty skin, and in the second case shoes that insulate the subject from ground prevent a circuit from forming.

Last time I got zapped I was reaching through to pet a horse and we both got juiced. One of us wasn't any smarter than the other. :cup:

PS Connecting one of those fence chargers to your aluminum cans in the rubbish bin does an excellent job of disuading the night lurkers from making your house a regular free pickup for them . :hihi: :ud::

• 3 weeks later...

A fella was by the other day and these fences came up and he claims that if you make a chain of people, say 3, and one touches the fence, only the person out on the end gets the big yahoo, and the toucher and other person in the middle only feel a slight tingling sensation.

Now whether the story is a way to trick 3 fools into trying it, or is really true is I think now a matter of experimentation. :): :D Where's a Grandma when you need one. :D :beer:

Electric fences "pulse"(?) so it is quite possible to grab the fence and not get a shock.

The next poor unfortunate tries the same thing and Bam!

A neat trick if you time it right :phones: