Science Forums

Diesel vegetable oil addition

Queso

I saw on the science channel these guys added a new tank and a switch and a bunch of tubes to this diesel van. It only took them a day to do it, too.

Has anyone ever done this?

You could then switch off between diesel and vegetable oil // biofuel (right?)

I really want to do this.

I saw on the science channel these guys added a new tank and a switch and a bunch of tubes to this diesel van. It only took them a day to do it, too.

Has anyone ever done this?

You could then switch off between diesel and vegetable oil // biofuel (right?)

I really want to do this.

Hard to say exactly what the setup is by your description, but we have a little bit on some variations here. >>http://hypography.com/forums/engineering-applied-science/11259-what-would-make-diesel-engine-run.html?highlight=biodiesel

Problem that's cropping up now is that all the corn diverted to make biofuel is corn animals don't have to eat and so feed prices are going up and with it the cost of meat. Moreover, here in the NW, farmers cut back on hops acreage to plant biofuels and now there is a shortage of hops and beer prices are going up. One report said a sixer of microbrew may hit $12 US (not sure how many Ameros that is:eek::)) That's all I got. ;) :sherlock:

I don't really care about bio diesel or diesel fuel I just want to see if I can run a van of vegetable oil I can pick up from restaurants.

Yes, but only if you include a system to pre-heat the oil before it enters the engine. That is, the fuel tank must be heated. You probably need to strain the oil as well to remove particulates before putting it in the tank. As all cooking oil is from plants, it is by default 'bio-diesel' if run in a diesel engine. :hihi: :ud: