Science Forums

(quantum) of electromagnetic (or light)

BSG CORP

Under the photon theory of light, a photon is a discrete bundle (or quantum) of electromagnetic (or light) energy. Photons are always in motion and, in a vacuum, have a constant speed of light to all observers, at the vacuum speed of light (more commonly just called the speed of light) of c = 2.998 x 108 m/s.

Basic Properties of Photons

According to the photon theory of light, photons . . .

move at a constant velocity, c = 2.9979 x 108 m/s (i.e. "the speed of light"), in free space

have zero mass and rest energy.

carry energy and momentum, which are also related to the frequency nu and wavelength lamdba of the electromagnetic wave by E = h nu and p = h / lambda.

can be destroyed/created when radiation is absorbed/emitted.

can have particle-like interactions

Under the photon theory of light, a photon is a discrete bundle (or quantum) of electromagnetic (or light) energy. …
I’m confused by your post, BSG. Are you asking a physics question, offering an observation, or something else?

Other than some typographical mishaps (eg: writing "2.998 x 108 m/s" rather that "2.998 x 10^8 m/s" or "[math]2.998 \times 10^8 \,\mbox{m/s}[/math]" and omissions (eg: “can have particle-like interactions”, rather than “can have particle-like and wave-like interactions”), you appear to have accurately summarized the photon as it appears in conventional particle physics (or quantum mechanics).

Without more information, I can’t tell what direction in this large discipline you want this discussion to take. :shrug: :confused:

Without more information, I can’t tell what direction in this large discipline you want this discussion to take. :hihi: :)

He's posted the exact same things on other fora (not just the content of this thread, but others) and hasn't addressed the responses given. At first glance, it appears a very curious form of spam, but I suppose that remains to be seen. You're a lot more patient than I am, Craig, so I'll paraphrase what you said in my own way.

BSG - What's your point?

He's posted the exact same things on other fora (not just the content of this thread, but others) and hasn't addressed the responses given

What fora?

So that means there are spams also. :)

This should be highly discouraged because when members such as me ask questions then that can also be seen as spam. That is why, I think, no one is replying to this post except Jayden.

I don't understand you Mohit Pandey, you clearly asked a question in that thread and it was no spam at all I read through it before reading about it here. I didn't reply because it lies a little while back and I never liked it too much so I couldn't give a good and simple answer. Anyway others have answered too in the meantime and if no one had answered it was surely not because they thought it was spam. Spam we get here are usually very clearly spam, e.g. someone wanting to sell phones etc.

But feel free to use the user feedback forum if you have a feedback.

I don't understand you Mohit Pandey, you clearly asked a question in that thread and it was no spam at all I read through it before reading about it here. I didn't reply because it lies a little while back and I never liked it too much so I couldn't give a good and simple answer. Anyway others have answered too in the meantime and if no one had answered it was surely not because they thought it was spam. Spam we get here are usually very clearly spam, e.g. someone wanting to sell phones etc.

But feel free to use the user feedback forum if you have a feedback.

:)The point I wish to emphasise is that sometimes I need to show a lot of patience in getting answer or reply to my thread/post.

So I thought it may be related to the spam thing. Or it may occur uninteresting or too simple to others. That's why they don't answer it and just view it. For example, I posted the elementary electricity on 11-08-2007, 07:21 PM . After 50 or more views, Jay-qu replied on 11-14-2007, 01:37 AM .

See the difference as that of 6 days!

You can imagine my trouble.:rainumbrella:

Well, in that case, it would have been enough to make it clear that you were asking for help. :turtle: Getting impatient doesn't help, if people are too lazy to answer you can't do much about it, but there's usually somebody around here that's willing to help others.

Or maybe I was just too lazy too notice the last few lines at the end, the beginning sounded like you were just wanting to tell people about the analogy with water pipes.