Science Forums

Matter and energy..what the heck are they

wesil

Hi,

I am trying to answer a question for my grade 9 science class and need some help...

1. What is the difference between matter and energy.

2.explain the difference between chemical and physical properties of matter.

3. State 2 physical properties of matter and define them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated especially question one.

thanks,

;)

1) Acording to Einstein, nothing. Just the speed of light squared.. This may not what 9th graders will like to hear. I think one could look at matter as batteries, containers of energy.Just a solid representaion of potential energy.

2) Physical properties are the properties of how that substance is. (Color, hardness, odor, maliablity, etc.)

Chemical properties are the way the substance interacts with energy or other substances.

3) Listed a few in #2. I think those properties are readily self-explanitory. (Maliablity may need to explanation to 9th graders, but I think they could grasp the concept once explained).

Good luck from a fellow teacher.

Yes, I am a student...never hid that. I was asking because I am unsure of the question.

This is what I'm thinking after reading my text book because it doesn't come right out and define them...here's my thought,

Matter is made up of particles called atoms and molecules and energy can cause change in the matter and influences the way the molecules behave in the matter.

If I used this as my answer would it be correct? I'm trying to get clarification because I have an exam coming up and school is currently in session so I have no way of knowing for sure, also not even sure it will appear on exam, but I want to be prepared because I have a pretty good mark so far (84%) ;)

If some can tell me if I'm on the right track, that would be great I do appreciate the help.

Thanks for your reply Fishteacher73, if you get a chance, tell me what do you think of my answer.

Matter is made up of particles called atoms and molecules and energy can cause change in the matter and influences the way the molecules behave in the matter.

If I used this as my answer would it be correct?

This is an interesting definition. i think you will find that some texts will say that atoms are the smallest constituents in matter, while others will argue that even subatomic particles are matter.

Basically, matter can be defined as anything that has mass and occupies space (Princeton WordNet).

Since even photons can act as particles (as in the photoelectric effect) I am not sure where to draw the line, in fact.

Matter is in fact just a form of energy. Yet matter is influenced by energy, like you write. In fact, the only thing that CAN cause a change in matter is energy!

Well, this probably didn't help much. Sorry.

"Energy, generally, is the property of changing the state of a system or doing work(or the quantity of the property) The expressions energy and power have different meaning in different scientific and non-scientific fields. Physics aims to explain quantitatively this property and gives a definition that makes it possible to consider energy as a description of the whole state and the different ways jobs are done are unified in this treatment.

Energy is a fundamental quantity that every physical system possesses; it allows us to predict how much work the system could be made to do, or how much heat it can exchange. In the past, energy was discussed in terms of easily observable effects it has on the properties of objects or changes in state of various systems. Basically, if something changes, some sort of energy was involved in that change. As it was realized that energy could be stored in objects, the concept of energy came to embrace the idea of the potential for change as well as change itself. Such effects (both potential and realized) come in many different forms; examples are the electrical energy stored in a battery, the chemical energy stored in a piece of food, the thermal energy of a hot water heater, or the kinetic energy of a moving train. To simply say energy is "change or the potential for change", however, misses many important examples of energy as it exists in the physical world."

-Wiki-

Potential energy: energy that is stored

-Gravitational: energy due to the position of the object in the gravitational field

-Elastic: energy due to deformation of the elastic substance

-Chemical: Energey due to the internal instability of chemicals making up an object

Kinetic: energy due to motion

1. What is the difference between matter and energy.

Matter is anything that has mass and occupies space.

Energy is the ability to do work (that ability to exert a force on matter and move it a distance).

2.explain the difference between chemical and physical properties of matter.

A physical property is a chacteristic of a substance in which the chemical identity/composition of the matter does not change when determined. For example, the boiling point of water (liquid water turns to water vapor, but its composition is still H2O) and the hardness of diamond.

A chemical property is a characteristic of a substance in which the chemical identity/composition of the matter does change when determined. For example, any property that involves a chemical reaction, such as the rusting of iron or the combustion of glucose.

Potential energy: energy that is stored

-Gravitational: energy due to the position of the object in the gravitational field

-Elastic: energy due to deformation of the elastic substance

-Chemical: Energey due to the internal instability of chemicals making up an object

Kinetic: energy due to motion

Alexamder, the quote from Wiki and the definitions above don't help much in understanding why and how. There is a thread on the physics forum that gives a lot of information. Looks like Paultrr is the expert there. Linda