Science Forums

Make good use of sneezing

Jet2

Sneezing seems at best to be good for clearing irritants and contaminated mucus from your nose, and not even all that great at doing that – intentionally exhaling through one nostril at a time seems to be more effective.
Most of the dogs I've ever had have sneezed. I would assume that although "intentional exhaling...is more effective" its an evolutionary trait from way back in our family tree!

Achoooof,

Buffy

Sneezing seems at best to be good for clearing irritants and contaminated mucus from your nose, and not even all that great at doing that – intentionally exhaling through one nostril at a time seems to be more effective.
Most of the dogs I've ever had have sneezed. I would assume that although "intentional exhaling...is more effective" its an evolutionary trait from way back in our family tree!
That, and I’ve yet to see a dog, cat, or similar beastie that could exhale through one nostril at a time. Not having spent much time around nonhuman primates, I’m uncertain if any of them know the “single nostril” technique, or variations such as the more polite “kerchiefed nose blowing” maneuver, though I have watched big and small primates at our zoo engage in almost completely human-like nose-picking.

I’ve recently had a lot of experience with sneezing among the non-opposable thumb set. In late June 2007, I adopted 3 kittens from a shelter. As is common these days with urban shelters, all have had bouts with what is most likely FVR (though my kitties never looked as bad as the poor one in the wikipedia article), a life-long, incurable, contagious (to other cats), though hopefully usually symptomless viral infection. Prior to this, I’d estimate I’d seen fewer that a dozen sneezes over the lifetime of a given cat – when these kittens were at their worst, I’d estimate each sneezed a dozen times in a single hour. One of my kittens tended to sneeze in bursts of about six sneezes in rapid succession.

Cats appear to have a much harder time clearing their noses than do we primates.

That, and I’ve yet to see a dog, cat, or similar beastie that could exhale through one nostril at a time. Not having spent much time around nonhuman primates, I’m uncertain if any of them know the “single nostril” technique...
Tee hee!

Of course we've still got a coccyx and and appendix even though we don't need them. I suspect it will take quite a while before we get the "sneezing gene" out of our systems! :turtle:

How can you not be attracted to this sport? It's a hair-trigger sport where one sneeze at 230 mph gets you in trouble, :D

Buffy