Science Forums

Worldwide Real Time Seimographs

Turtle

Absoluteley. Sureley much of geology is chemistry, but ideas like the Law of Superimposition transcend the chemistry. To clarify, that law refers to the logical conclusion that in layered rock, the uppermost layers are younger than the lower layers. Yes, yes...unless disturbed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

___Someone referenced this earthquake link in the Tsunami thread; thought I'd bump it up. Lots of activity & hundreds of real time seimographs to see it on. Two more 5.0+ quakes this evening (pacific time zone USA) off our coast; they didn't register on the St. Helens seismograms much, but Adams, Hood, Sister, & Crater Lake sure shook.

___Be sure to read up on the link about how YOU can be prepared for earthquake danger. Chance favors the prepared mind.

• 2 weeks later...

___I am ever ready to say the sky is falling, & today is no exception except I realized my error before shouting out. It is my habit over the last 2 or so years to visit the seismogram readouts in my region every day at least once. One particular type of pattern that the experts say is significant is the 'harmonic tremor', the trace of which has a steady rythym over a long period as opposed to the sharp spike & shortish decline of a typical quake.

___So today, I see this apparent harmonic signature at Mt. Hood & actually quite a few stations on volcanoes in the PNW. Heres a link to the Hood trace; note the activity which begins about 11:00 am.

http://www.pnsn.org/WEBICORDER/VOLC/TDH_SHZ_UW.2005031612.html

___Now comes the 'hold it a minute' clause. I just watched the local weather & the predominate feature throughout the region today is high wind. So, I now beleive that the trace reflects a wind induced harmonic signature which is not quake related.

___Fascinating to have so much real time data at one's disposal. B)