Science Forums

Ibuprofen

Queso

I take ibuprofen as a very last resort. Cloves, a hydrogen peroxide rinse diluted with water, orajel, tylenol, salt-water, whiskey, peppermint, or wheat grass would be my first choices. If the pain is from an abcess, antibiotics should relieve some of the pain within 36 hours. Ice packs might help for some kinds of mouth pain (inflammation) though it might increase the pain for others.

What side effects may I notice from taking ibuprofen?

Side effects that you should report to your prescriber or health care professional as soon as possible:

•signs of bleeding - bruising, pinpoint red spots on the skin, black tarry stools, blood in the urine, unusual tiredness or weakness

•signs of an allergic reaction - difficulty breathing or wheezing, skin rash, redness, blistering or peeling skin (stevens-johnson syndrome, TENS), hives, or itching, swelling of eyelids, throat, lips

•blurred vision

•change in the amount of urine passed

•difficulty swallowing, severe heartburn or burning, pain in throat

•pain or difficulty passing urine

•stomach pain or cramps

•swelling of feet or ankles

•vomiting blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds

Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your prescriber or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):

•diarrhea

•dizziness, drowsiness

•gas or heartburn

•headache

•nausea, vomiting

Hope you find some relief, dental pain is worse then a migraine.:)

Can anyone share with me what they know about ibuprofen?

Can I trust these pills? :banghead:

I'm wrought with severe dental pain. :doh:

Ibuprofin is good for most dental pain, because it's primarily an anti-inflamitory, and dental pain is usually due to inflamation. Many pain meds that are excelent for other kinds of pain, such as headache, aren't as effective. Aspirin and acetaminophen (Tylenol) in particular, usually aren't as good for dental pain as Ibuprofin.

There are some opioids, such as pethidine (Demerol) which are even more effective, but they require a doctor’s prescription, are potentially addictive, and pose a significant risk of dangerous overdose.

For all practical purposes, no medicine effects a long-term cure of dental pain, so, if you've not already, GET THEE TO A DENTIST!

The advice at this site looks good to me.