Science Forums

Plastics

Queso

Well, some plastics are positively toxic. Thats what we have the EPA and the FDA for here in the US (well, at least we used to...)...

They're no panacea, and if we don't get the recycling issue under control we're going to be hip deep in popcorn in bubble-wrap (which my kid would unfortunately call heaven, since she can be endlessly entertained by popping it).

Toxic? That's the least of our concerns at this point though....

Look around you all you see are sympathetic eyes, :doh:

Buffy

"The plasticizer most commonly used in flexible vinyl toys is DINP, diisononyl phthalate. DINP has been extensively studied for possible health effects and has a very good safety profile. Studies showed that rats and mice fed very high doses of DINP developed liver and/or kidney tumors after exposure over a lifetime. However, there is growing consensus that these effects are not relevant to humans. Concerns have been expressed about possible developmental effects as well as possible chronic liver and kidney toxicity, but these effects have been associated only with very high doses in laboratory studies and, as with the tumors, are probably not relevant to humans. Nevertheless, a number of groups aggressively lobbied governments in the United States, Canada, Japan and Europe to have DINP banned from toys." :eek_big:

-http://www.phthalates.org/yourhealth/childrens_toys.asp

I was actually just conversing with someone about this. The toxicity levels are supposedly so low that they are harmless, but we still recognize and won't use this chemical in children's toys. BUT, the only restriction is on toys designed for use by very young children. They generalize and say that only infants that suck on their toys for extended amounts of time, might be at risk. But our concerns were only temporary, we did our tests and it turns out that plastic sells and the babies are still alive.

I have been obsessed with the idea of residual damage. They say that they have been using these plasticisers for 50 odd years and never has a incident of poisoning or ailment occurred. I'm stuck on the idea that we are riddled with tumors and rampant chemically induced ailments, not from direct consumption but over years of slow submersion. Everything from the instances we began using pesticides and hormones to grow our food, to preservatives in our food, to genetically modified food. Everything that we use, and consume is a part of us. And it stays with your body, if not affecting you then passing on and building up in your future generations.

**Currently, the E.U. has a ban in place on the use of several phthalates in soft vinyl mouthing toys. They have very strict regulations on the percentages of DINP that is used in products that enter the European market. This goes for all plastic products.**

• 1 month later...
California has become the first state to ban products for children and babies that contain more than residual quantities of phthalates, a class of chemicals used to soften plastics.

The bill, which was signed into law Sunday, says that as of 2009 any children's product sold or distributed in California cannot contain more than one tenth of one per cent of phthalates.

The consensus is that this is going to lead to a nationwide ban. The response from the plastic industry is most fun. They are working on building a lawsuit to challenge the state bill. Yes, California's bill is quite broad, banning a wider range of plastics, and not as specific as the E.U.'s requirements, but, it is a start. The E.U. only restricts mouthing toys while California's applies to all toys and childcare products.

These people are panicking.

PRW.com - Plastics Industry News

PRW.com - Plastics Industry News

Apparently, polycarbonates (plastics labeled #7) leach a chemical known as Bisphenol-A (BPA). The leaching process is apparently hastened by washing, especially at high temps. Nonetheless, I still use my nalgene at work. :phones:

For pregnant woman, newborns, and young children, the advice of some experts is to steer clear of any plastic bottles with #7 PC on their recycling logos (including Nalgene water bottles). Glass and stainless steel bottles are considered safe. Alternative plastics are #5 PP, #2 HDPE, and #4 LDPE – none of which are known to leach harmful substances. Personally though, I think I’m going back to using goat bladders like my ancient ancestors. I hope they come in “glacier blue.”

Ecology Center