Science Forums

Vista owners beware

Windows and things are done differently, programs are installed differently, that there is no registry and just how stupid the registry is,
Yup...dfinitlydiferent...rather confusing to my Dos/Win taught mind...is the registry stupid or are you saying Linux based programs don't use them because they're (registries) are stupid? How does Ubu keep track of things w/out a registry?

Oh yeah...a Hypo related question....does the image and link below violate any rules here or am I being paranoid? I'd rather not incure the wrath of the powers that be here.

Handy link...learned how to sqeeze a little more speed out of this ol box!

Went to Amarok's site got reeeeeeeeeeeeeealllllly confused....gave up...now to dig elsewhere.

I definitly feel like I did when I first discovered windows...really confused and very much intimidated. Aaaaaah the good ol days of DOS....God I miss them!

Saturday:

Found it! Got It! Now if I can figure out how to get it to get the tunes off my memory stick and my mini-disc I"ll be a happy camper.

Tried to get Wine read the instructions, read them again, searched around my desktop, searched things seeming remotely related to what I was looking for, read the instructions again, broke out the rum and gave up, feeling better went back to the instructions they still didn't make sence or seem to corespond to things on my computer.....had more rum...I still don't get it will have some more till things make sence or am too incapacitated to care...:)

WTF is ATP or is it APT? How the bleep do you open a terminal?!?!?!...where's the button.....there's got to be a button.....oooh come on it's got to be here some where!

(Windows withdrawal?):)

LOL disturbed, you are a funny guy, what kind of rum?

How does Ubu keep track of things w/out a registry?

First of all, yes Registry is utterly stupid, so stupid it boggles me why people put up with it. It is a way for microsoft to keep information away from users, that is the only explanation i have been able to come up with. People say that registry is only there to keep windows configuration, but why is the entire frigging os based around a proprietary configuration database that noone truly understands, nor do they know the reason for having it... at least noone i talked to, and i talk to lots of professionals...

No, for all configuration, ubuntu keeps configuration files, in text format, readable, commented, a half blind monkey can figure out how to change them. they are located in /etc most are in /etc/conf.d, though some packages will have their own folders for configuration, such as /etc/apache2/ or /etc/X11/ etc. As for keeping track of where the files are, linux imposes a directory structure that is very specific, and keeps applications in those directories, and their config files either in etc or in your user directory, but that is managed by the application itself. Your system necessary binaries are in /usr/bin while any applications that are not vital to your running system are located in /usr/sbin. Oh mind you that linux kernel is a beast on its own rank, the kernel, upon being compiled, is placed in /boot directory that is read by the boot loader. The kernel contains its own configuration, compiled in, generally most users don't care about their kernel as there are packages that take care of creating a kernel for your system configuration, but there are those of me that compile their own kernels with only drivers built in that need to be built in for their specific machine.

does the image and link below violate any rules here or am I being paranoid?

no, as long as it is not a copyrighted image that is not allowed to be shared

Found it! Got It! Now if I can figure out how to get it to get the tunes off my memory stick and my mini-disc I"ll be a happy camper.

you should be able to put it in and go... there are many cd ripper programs, one, i thought came with ubuntu. as far as the thumb drive goes, is it formatted ntfs? if it is then you need to get ntfs support in ubuntu, which i think is built in anyways, you just can't write back to the disk if you don't have ntfs-3g

WTF is ATP or is it APT?

apt is a PMS or a Package Management System

How the bleep do you open a terminal?

hit the gnome icon on the top bar, drop down to accessories, click on the icon that looks like a terminal window?

i think on the new one there is also a system tools selection, in there you will see that same icon labeled "Konsole" or something to that extent.

before you continue though, i ask you to go to system tools and go into synaptic package manager, in there on top you will see settings, then go to repositories, unclick the cd one, and click off the backports, anything in there that has the word security, any proprietary sources, just dont enable the unstable crap... you dont need problems at this stage...

enable those sources then you can fully use all the packages in apt.

brief guide on installing anything in ubuntu: How to install ANYTHING in Ubuntu!

Tried to get Wine read the instructions

turn on the repositories like i asked you in the synaptic package manager, then once you are back at the main window with refreshed sources, click on the search button on top, search for wine, install wine and wine-ui (say YES to all the dependencies)

then you can run most of your windows apps in wine, generally by going into terminal (or console, whatever you choose to call it) go to your user directory, where you downloaded the windows program (such as "cd /home/username/downloads/winprog/")

and run "wine setup.exe", installer goes through (if there is no installer, just run the executable, and btw, what are you trying to run? )

after the install, you will have a .wine directory, in which you will have C_Drive in which there will be "Program Files" and lastly whatever the installation directory for the windows prog you chose to install.

hope this helps...

you should be able to put it in and go... there are many cd ripper programs, one, i thought came with ubuntu. as far as the thumb drive goes, is it formatted ntfs? if it is then you need to get ntfs support in ubuntu, which i think is built in anyways, you just can't write back to the disk if you don't have ntfs-3g

Yeah it's in ntfs... Mini-discs are formated in openmg/atrac for my sony minidisc player. The player itself writes the discs and they can only be used in a minidisc drive or the player. My player requires it's software be installed on the computer to write new discs. I haven't tried loading because it requires windos.

OL disturbed, you are a funny guy, what kind of rum?

Appleton Estate really super good Jamaican rum. I ended up enjoying a couple shots o quervo as well.....It didn't help.
does the image and link below violate any rules here or am I being paranoid?

no, as long as it is not a copyrighted image that is not allowed to be shared

Actually it's encouraged by the linked site that it be posted with the link in the hopes that others will post it with the link to support the cause.

Yeah it's in ntfs...
sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g ntfs-config ntfsprogs

ntfs-3g (FUSE file system ntfs write support. FUSE - Filesystem in USEr space)

ntfs-config (allows you to enable write support for any ntfs device by default)

ntfsprogs (allows you to do all kinds of cool things with ntfs partitions, undeleting, and other random stuff)

openmg/atrac
outta luck bro, sony uses a proprietary format for that crap and are not releasing any info on it, so you basically HAVE to use their proprietary bloatware for it. There is OpenMD, but it does not support the encryupted atrac format, so you may have to import it using the sony software running either in wine or in vmware, and then transfer it to the linux partition.

Appleton Estate really super good Jamaican rum. I ended up enjoying a couple shots o quervo as well...
well on my part, i have just (on saturday) found one of the best dark beers i have ever had. Imported german deliciousness, perfectly flavored, but pricey, almost $2/bottle. Like seriously, the feeling of satisfaction you have after drinking this beer, can only be paralleled by the satisfaction in saying "I told you, he wasn't what you thought he was!", after being blown by reincarnated Jesus in front of the entire church clergy.... (at that point i wouldn't even care what people would think, my job on this planet will be done, it would be time to visit the beer volcano with a hooker factory (referring to flying spaghetti monsterism :hyper: ))

Installing stuff is tricky!

I did get Gstreamer downloaded and installed though...Had one heck of a time but I got it...also managed to convert to a dual boot (also tricky well maybe more scary than anything)...I decided that it would be easier to install the hard drive into my other computer add everything repartition and reinstall Ubu (the whole time hoping the right hard drive was being written to during the win install.)

Thank god for the various goodies for install and download.

What brand beer...was it a more bitter or more malty smooth beer?

Oh yeah thanks for all of your help!:phones:

• 3 weeks later...

Crashed Ubu!

I crashed it reeeeeeeeeeeal goood!

I tried adding some music manipulation software...then messed with it as "root"(they warned me it wasn't a good idea to do so...but I did anyway.) to try to get it to work....it didn't...oh well

two days of frigging with it and a complete reload of everything and I'm back in business...sadly still without all of my music goodies including those that did work before I screwed up...on the bright side I now have a better idea of how to do things in Ubu so I'll try again...and again...and again if necessary...I'm rather stubborn so the odds are in my favour that I'll eventually get this thing set up the way I want it.

On a different note my oldest daughter just bought a fancy new pc with Vista on it...she can't get her peripherals (cam, printer, card reader) to work (He!He! I warned her that it would suck!) so she came over to ask me how to get it to cooperate...of course I was no help (it's a lot easier to diagnose and fix problems if I have the machine in front of me)...I told her to try Ubu or get XP...but she likes Vista (um...OOOOooo.k....yeah suuuuuure). what she likes about it I don't know, especially seeing as she can't get the things she wants to use to work!

Yes I realise the irony of my last post!

But I can crash all I need and it costs me nothing but a little frustration...If she crashes hers it's going to cost some serious coinage! (It's a safe bet she hasn't backed up her system...which you have to do with newer computers as the manufacturers don't want to put forth the effort to provide a ready made crash/oops kit.)

Thus there's a BIG difference between our situations.

Disturbed, that is not always the case, for example, IBM and Tosh, both go as far as creating hidden partitions that you can't access to back up the stock setup of your system and give you tools to recover the system using it (its the ThinkVantage button, what did you think it was for?)

You see the difference is, you know what the problem was and who/what caused it and how to fix it (and no reinstall is never the way out, and very commonly not the easiest/fastest either), where as your daughter has no idea

what is wrong, and how she can fix it, aside from coming to you for help :P

But yeah, you are nowhere as bad as a friend of mine, and you are at a learning stage so it is forgivable; he used to run root all the time, and do stupid things, then call me up and ask me to fix it... Like one time he decided that he was going to remove the bin directory.... then there was another time when he mk2fsed his etc partition... he once changed his root password and forgot it... then there was another time when he deleted X on the machine and then was wondering where the windows went... he was trying to figure out why regedit didn't do anything on his system... list just goes on

but yeah, what exactly are you trying to do, you want some help/advise with it?

Lastly, she likes vista because of it's so called "shinyness" you know, the horrifyingly memory-consuming gas monster that lurks deep within the fragile, at times passionately crumbling framework of the software that is supposed to manage not use completely up your computer resources as well as supposed to provide programmers a good interface to those managed resources. Vista does neither well btw...

I'm trying to set my beater up as a "jukebox" (tuneskie player) / music editor/ mixer/ effex processor for my various instruments/ midi/music composing play ground.....in short a sanctuary of musical bliss. Unfortunatly I installed some things that it did'nt particularly like and so refused to boot from all three sources my cd's, the HD, or my USB....in short I really screwed something up big time....there was an error message at boot that said something about bad and duplicate kernels whatever the heck that means...I'm guessing this is the developer's nice way of saying "you completely frigged this thing up...good luck!"

I've got some new toys installed haven't really played with them yet though don't have time today. Several synths, eq's, format converters, a couple effects programs,mixers,midi to notation and visa-versa, and a few other niceties that I can't wait to play with, evaluate and either love, tolerate or remove. May the best goodie win!

(its the ThinkVantage button, what did you think it was for?)

Never seen it ...never heard of it!

Backing up is always best done on media that won't be connected to your computer when it crashes.

When I crash, I CRASH! (but yeah if I knew the language and Knew exactly which of the goodies was frigging the works up and If I knew how to get something to work so I could fix it I wouldn't have to have reloaded the works.)

there was an error message at boot that said something about bad and duplicate kernels whatever the heck that means

lol nothing to be scared of, linux is a kernel, which is a program that provides an abstraction layer to the hardware, that software must then use to manage and control to perform it's function. it is the most important part of the OS, without a kernel, you can not have an OS. In windows, it's generally this big bloated closed thing that you never see boot, in linux however, kernels are stand alone, you can manage them, have multiple versions of the kernels, and then choose to boot them at boot time in your boot loader. However bad the error was, it was fixable (i know, i built a couple of Linux From Scratch machines, Gentoo and Slackware distributions, you learn a lot at the end..)

But hey, you fixed it, and that is all that matters :doh:

Cool use for your linux machine, i mean definitely do tell me how it all plays out at the end, there is lots of cool software out there for linux for audio stuff, but yeah, do tell, it is interesting to me, because i have lots of friends into this (using other OSes) B)