Science Forums

Aids

OpenMind5

HIV is a retro virus that has many similar "cousins". Probably the best known is FIV (Feline version on HIV). Although these viruses are not very hardy in the open environment, they are very mutable and change almost constantly (one of the main reasons there has not been an AIDS vaccine). The location of the intial case does not seem to be contested (West Africa/Congo region). This is a very biologically diverse area (There are literally hundreds of species that have not been described as of yet). The culprit could be just about any mamal (possibly even through a vector of some sort). Then you would have to isolate an unknow virus. This would be tricky. If it could be done I am sure genetic mapping would describe the flow of this proto-HIV.

well... recalled from my memory...

(might sound horrible)

some people ate monkey...etc and thats how it got spread....

(there still are people who eat monkeys... its horrible..)

ok, quit if u dont wanna hear it...

firstly, people catch a monkey.

(the monkey aint dead yet)

they cut his "cover" on the head, and

people eat the brain (without cooking) directly from the monkey.........

then, the monkey is thrown away.

told by my mom...

(about people in the countryside)

they consider this as something... really nourishing for their brains.

As of today, no one knows exactly where AIDS came/originated from. Although, most would agree that it did originate in Africa. It's almost more than likely the disease jumped from another animal to humans (zoonosis I believe is the word. Or maybe it's xenononsis or something). But there has even been speculation that the disease was accidentally, or intentionally, released by a government.

The truth is, we do not know probably will never know.

But there has even been speculation that the disease was accidentally, or intentionally, released by a government.

While I can see some argument for Gov't turning a blind eye to the epidemic early on because its main victims were of the "untouchable" caste of US society. Unless you are implying the Gov't engineered the virus (A feat that science still has no way of really doing that well today, much less 50 years ago) I see no way for this claim to be valid. The virus would already have had to exist, and back tracing indicates the first human vectors contacted the disease in west Africa (Predominatly the Congo).

• 2 years later...
Unnoticed Mutation In AIDS Virus Can Cause Drug Resistance

ScienceDaily (Dec. 2, 2007) — A mutation in a little-studied structural region of the AIDS virus can cause resistance to several HIV drugs, according to a study published in PLoS Medicine by Gilda Tachedjian and colleagues from Australia, Canada, and the United States.

. . .

Because the N348I mutation confers resistance to two classes of RT inhibitor drugs and can emerge early during therapy, it could have a large impact on patient responses to antiviral regimens that contain zidovudine and nevirapine. It might now be worth investigating whether looking for the N348I mutation (and for other mutations outside the region of RT included in current tests) could improve the ability of resistance tests to predict treatment outcomes.

Unnoticed Mutation In AIDS Virus Can Cause Drug Resistance

• 2 months later...