Science Forums

Left-step Periodic Table

scerri

What do folks think about the recently rediscovered left-step periodic table as supported in my book on the periodic table (E.R. Scerri, The Periodic Table: Its Story and Its Significance, Oxford University Press, 2007) and in a recent article by Bent and Weinhold in the Journal of Chemical Education (July issue)?

This is a form of the table that places He among the alkaline earths.

Other features: No break in continuity of elements, meaning no gaps between Be and B or between Mg and Al.

Better display of the n + l electron filling rule than the conventional of medium-long form table.

regards,

Eric Scerri PhD

UCLA,

Chemistry Dept.

• 4 years later...

Hmm. This is interesting- responding to a posted query five years late! Better than never I suppose. Well you know whenever I visit Flatland (which is a difficult port of call to get around in) I always try to drop in on my mistress LSPT. She never disappoints, though different positions are not easy in 2D. In the 3rd dimension of course one has much more freedom, and can be more creative. And in 4D all bets are off, and we can go completely wild.

You of course, Eric, had a brief fling with her, but in the end she felt abandoned. Luckily she has many friends, and an unlimited calling plan.

Jess Tauber

recently rediscovered left-step periodic table

You of course, Eric, had a brief fling with her, but in the end she felt abandoned. Luckily she has many friends, and an unlimited calling plan.

Look guys everyone gets obsessed by these minor distractions from time to time!

What you need to do is stop living in the past and move on!

Try this: http://www.perfectperiodictable.com/

i think it should also have a version where it is like pipe wrench, so the concept of decay can be visualized

there is another one that i was looking at, where it is a spiral with hydrogen at the center, and lines linking simlar elements and electron shells

circular periodic table

kinda looks like a dream catcher

Edited by belovelife

i think it should also have a version where it is like pipe wrench, so the concept of decay can be visualized

What do you mean by this? I have neither heard of a periodic table shaped like a pipe wrench (and a quick google returned nothing relevant), nor can I envision what one would look like, so I'd be interested to see what you mean by this. Also, what do you refer to by "visualizing decay"? Do you mean half-life, type of emission, or some other concept?

• 3 months later...

there is another one that i was looking at, where it is a spiral with hydrogen at the center, and lines linking simlar elements and electron shells

circular periodic table

kinda looks like a dream catcher

i wonder how this would look if hydrogen was on the outer shell

and the known elements spiraled inwards

it might end up showing the periodic table of elements that are stable in our stp

interesting

Edited by belovelife

• 2 weeks later...

Gosh, I feel Sorrry for Poor Scerri.

I mean like he's a PhD, wrote his own Book and everything.....

And gets snubbed by Online Science Fans.....

Put it in a Textbook Prof.

Then you can require it for your Course and Teach it to your Subjects...er, Students.

I wanted to be a Chemist Briefly.

One Semester at Purdue convinced me.....

No, not so much convinced me as it whaile all the Stuffing outa me.....

Chemistry and Calculus. :( :blink: :(

Saxon Violence