Science Forums

Smoking and it's link to aging

Smoking is a factor in premature skin aging. But why? What exactly does smoking do to your body to cause you to age prematurely?

Does smoking age you as much as sun damage? How long does it take to see the effects of aging if you are a smoker?

I do not smoke myself, but a family member of mine does. You hear seconed hand smoke is dangerous, but besides cancer...would you get the same premature aging effects as the smoker?

Also, are the dangers of second hand smoke lessoned if you are outside with the smoker as she/he is smoking? Or is the main danger if you are in the same room while this is being done?

I found this with a quick search:

The skin is affected by tobacco smoke in at least two ways. Firstly, tobacco smoke released into the environment has a drying effect on the skin’s surface. Secondly, because smoking restricts blood vessels, it reduces the amount of blood flowing to the skin, thus depleting the skin of oxygen and essential nutrients. Some research suggests that smoking may reduce the body’s store of Vitamin A, which provides protection against some skin-damaging agents produced by smoking. [1] Another likely explanation is that squinting in response to the irritating nature of the smoke, and the puckering of the mouth when drawing on a cigarette, cause wrinkling around the eyes and mouth. [2]

Skin damaged by smoke has a greyish, wasted appearance. Recent research has shown that the skin ageing effects of smoking may be due to increased production of an enzyme that breaks down collagen in the skin. [3] Collagen is the main structural protein of the skin which maintains skin elasticity. The more a person smokes, the greater the risk of premature wrinkling. Smokers in their 40s often have as many facial wrinkles as non-smokers in their 60s. In addition to facial wrinkling, smokers’ may develop hollow cheeks through repeated sucking on cigarettes: this is particularly noticeable in under-weight smokers and can cause smokers to look gaunt. 2 A South Korean study of smokers, non-smokers and ex-smokers aged 20 to 69 found that the current smokers had a higher degree of facial wrinkling than non-smokers and ex-smokers. Past smokers who smoked heavily at a younger age revealed less facial wrinkling than current smokers. [4]

How Smoking Affects the Way You Look: Fact sheet no. 10 - ASH

because smoking restricts blood vessels, it reduces the amount of blood flowing to the skin, thus depleting the skin of oxygen and essential nutrients.

that is why cosmetic surgeons are so against you smoking after(and before!) they have done such nice work and then it gets messed up by the patient smoking..... Also, general health and hydration (proper salt and water consumption) are also a factor. Maybe you have great potential from being born from healthy stock, some are born from malnurished and diseased parents and their struggle to be fit is harder...

Smoking can damage your health and you should STOP before you have cosmetic surgery

Let's not forget to mention other effects of smoking. Excess mucous, damage to the cilia in you airway that normally move in a wave, but are paralyzed and unable to function. Then there is the unwanted hair growth - facial hair ladies?

Before anyone goes crazy I am not saying cigarette smoking is the only cause of unwanted hair growth as steroids do that too.

You also have to consider that it is SMOKE you are breathing. Hello, people die in fires from smoke inhalation. And I have smoked in the past. I quit in February, cold turkey. If you want to live, you can do it.

Also, are the dangers of second hand smoke lessoned if you are outside with the smoker as she/he is smoking? Or is the main danger if you are in the same room while this is being done?

Indoor passive smoking would be worse than outdoor passive smoking because the toxins are concentrated and remain in a relatively small area. If you're outdoors with a smoker then standing upwind of them would lessen the effects of the smoke.

I found this article suggesting that parents who smoke outdoors are still subjecting their kids to passive smoking:

Cigarette fumes probably become lodged on the hair and clothes of parents as they smoke outside, says Matt. The particles could then be brought back inside the house, where they would hang in the air or settle in dust. Family members may then inhale them directly or unwittingly transfer them from hand to mouth

Biology News: Smoking outside may not protect those indoors

If you're that concerned about premature aging then you'd be better off completely avoiding cigarette smoke.

CareFair.com - Preventing Premature Aging