Science Forums

Piezo-Generation

I think I can make a Piezo electric generator that is powered off of air particle speed. anybody else think differently?

I only see about three Problems with this::D

1. producing the piezo electric grid in large quantities ( est: 500 m2 a day)

2. connecting the positive and negative terminals for every individual

generator crystal/material-piece

3. and structual integrity for feasible use ( so that the whole grid doesnt fall apart every time it gets "tapped" or bumped

I was wondering about Ultra-violet lithography to solve the first problem:hihi:

( link to UVL: Howstuffworks "How EUV Chipmaking Works"

copy and paste it cuz I don't know how to underline it with the blue line stuff... yet)

for the other two problems/questions i only have vauge solutions/ideas

so ob sie haben guten ideen dan ich mochte zum horen sie!

Piezoelectricity is the ability of certain crystals to generate a voltage in response to applied mechanical stress. The word is derived from the Greek piezein, which means to squeeze or press.

Could you please explain how it is that the air particles will stress the crystal to produce the energy :D

• 2 weeks later...

whoops! I accidentally, read your post wrong , the great Jay-qu

what I should have said is :

A. a crystal/material is stressed by impact from a moving air particle

[(at an estimated average speed of 425 meters per second)by using boltzmanns constant, and other formulae ]

let me know if me did mistake

note: "my guess is that the crystal has to be very tiny in order to prevent inter-crystal resistances thus cancelling the minute amount of charge harvested"

• 9 months later...

Does any body know what the quavering in the air is during a hot summer? I don't know what it's called and i'm look for a name for it. I figure air near the generator would produce a thermal frequency between the cool air(energy extracted from it) from the warmer air next to it( farther away from the generator) so If there is a more "formal" or well known name please let me know.

by the way I noticed this strange frequency while looking at cigarette smoke rise into the air and make vorticies into the air!!:cup::):eek::):):):)

oh and by the way Does any one know of some optical equipment for looking at "air Quavering"?

(Air Quavering is what I'm gonna call it untill some one's got some prettier ideas:):cup::):eek::):):))

You could just call it hot air. :)

Perhaps an infrared camera for viewing?

Gee, I guess I get excited easily!! what level of micro metrics would i have to make a functioning Impact generator powered by air particle impact.

I read some where that there are 10 to the 7th or 17th particles of bounce per second, yet I dont know how much surface area there is to the formula.

Does any body know what the quavering in the air is during a hot summer? I don't know what it's called and i'm look for a name for it.

I believe it is a phenomenon called refraction. The bending of light rays passing from one medium to another, or between parts of the same medium with different densities. This phenomenon also happens with sound, but it is less obvious.