Science Forums

What is E/mc2?

ryan2006

Sorry - didn't mean to diss anyone's efforts at addressing this, it's just that the whole thing was starting to devolve toward silliness. The answer to all this lies in the 'equal sign' in the middle of the original equation. It has intrinsic and unequivocal value as an axiomatic expression. It's basic to how we communicate mathmatically. We can't start over-analyzing or re-assigning alternate interpretations to its function (hence 'zebras'.)

Perhaps the best response to Ryan, as soon as he posed the question, should have been something like "Hi Ryan - Notice that the original equation has an 'equal sign' in it. As in any equation, that means that when you divide one side by the other, you get 1. If you really want zero instead, you just hafta subtract one side from the other. Works every time. There.....now have a nice day."

In Math, we have to accept that the word 'equals' means just that, and eliminates probables, approximates, matrices of possible alternate answers, and psychological side-doors to assessing new meaning and value. Otherwise Math deteriorates to the same babelspeak as all our other languages (and then we'll never know if E/MC2 yields zero, one, or both).

Again, my apology if I came across as flippant or dismissive toward your efforts at addressing this....I just wanted to implant a reminder that the ground rules alone rendered this whole thing moot from the start.

Oh, fun........fun.......I remember fun! - and....and...I think there was something else, too.... just can't remember what that was.. right now........

FUN?!?!?!?!

You don't know what fun is. I'll show you some fun. See this here mustard seed? It weighs in at precisely 1 milligram. Now watch as I turn it into energy....

;)

:D

:)

:note:

:)

:D

:xparty:

It has intrinsic and unequivocal value as an axiomatic expression.
Actually it isn't an axiomatic expression at all.

[math]m^2c^4=E^2-p^2c^2[/math]

The more famous expression is trivially inferred for the case of a body at rest.

Havin' loads of fun... :rolleyes:

Which young'uns? Pyrotex? :)

young'uns, pronounced "yung-inz" is an archaic term referring to children, and has a slightly pejorative twist. It can often be heard used in old black and white cowboy movies--and often spoken by Gabby Hayes, especially when he was referring to young adult cowboys who had done something really stupid.

I think Old Bill was referring to all of us. :hihi: