Science Forums

Hardest Substance

Mercedes Benzene

• 5 months later...
And with why they're the hardest: it's because the atoms are in a consistent structure of some form. Right ? (I think that's right...)

If that's true, then do we have the ability to move atoms? I mean, we can already split an atom, is too much more difficult to move them around?

If that's true, then do we have the ability to move atoms? I mean, we can already split an atom, is too much more difficult to move them around?

Absolutely!

We also have to be careful with the distinction of "moving," since atoms (even in crystalline form) are constantly moving around. It's easy to break the intermolecular forces between atoms and molecules.

Salts can be crushed. Rocks can be fractured.

Let's remember though, that even liquids have a "rigid" structure to them whenever intermolecular forces exist.

Relating directly to your question about moving atoms around, many elements exhibit the property of allotropy. By this principle, the individual atoms are bonded together in various forms. Some (like oxygen), exist with completely different molecular formulas (ozone vs. diatomic oxygen). Others, such as phosphorus and sulfur (ex: [ce]P4[/ce]), exist in various molecular forms.

Absolutely!
...and....

Using a scanning-tunnelling electron microscope, they can move atoms around, I think.

just google: "writing with atoms"

===

i.e.

Writing With a STEM

"We now have the ability to build atom by atom."

Laser & Optics

"An atom beam, which has been collimated by optical means, is focused onto the substrate by dipole forces from the standing wave pattern so as to deposit a series of lines spaced by half the laser wavelength."

===

...and this is cool too (but unrelated):

googled: "gold atoms" migration islands

Wiley InterScience :: Surface and Interface Analysis

Volume 37 Issue 11, Pages 1021 - 1026, 2005

"Four different kinetic processes are considered, namely, atom deposition, diffusion, evaporation and island nucleation"

...I was looking for a video of migrating gold atoms ...forming islands, but

...maybe later....

~:hyper: