Science Forums

America, lazy?

yellow

Which region of the country is most physically active? Someone I was conversing with tried to say that the south is because of the nice weather. I don't know if I agree with that. And I would like a more specific answer.

Now, in comparison, which region is the least physically active? Also, the correlation of these with the healthiest regions in America. Are they one in the same?

Someone I was conversing with tried to say that the south is because of the nice weather.

Absolutely not. The South has some of the most unhealthy people in the country. In fact, at last that I heard, Louisiana had the highest obesity rates of anywhere else in the country. I believe Texas and Mississippi were close seconds.

I did find an interesting slide show yesterday however, so I'm hoping I can find it again. It was quite interesting as it showed obesity trends in the US over a period of years. Lemme go check to see if I can find it real quick.

Okay, so I found the charts I was talking about... kinda.

It's in a "movie" format at this link:

MSN

and details the trends in the % of adults who are obese by state.

I am absolutely shocked. Honestly... it's incredible how discustingly unhealthy us Americans are...

...and even more shocking is how quickly we became obese. As can be seen by the slides, just a couple decades ago, there was barely any significant number of obese people in the US. :eek:

I'm grossed out.

'Twould be highly inaccurate to classify the issue of obesity as an American phenomenon. While the American culture thus far has certainly tended more toward less exercise and more calorie, it's not a locale specific phenomenon. It's a lifestyle choice heavily influenced by SES, and since our genetics have preset us to retain fat for times of shortage, we are simply waiting for our biology to catch up to our technology and society. It's not an American thing... We've just been the first effected.

Same applies to different regions within America. You can statistically measure which regions have higher measured obesity, but it will never cease being an issue of individual difference.

Thank you for the chart. That did update me.

The idea of our nation doubling it BMI in 20 years is appalling and I don't know how we haven't sunk this rock into the oceans, yet. But I digress, I was kind of interested in some info about rates of physical activity in different regions of the country. These rates are obviously related to the obesity chart. I guess I was still wondering, where do people enjoy, take advantage, celebrate their natural environment and community? Where is this common? The highest concentrations of community gardens, co-ops, communal activities, preservation of local environment and resources.

I might get more results looking for where these are lacking.:eek:

... I guess I was still wondering, where do people enjoy, take advantage, celebrate their natural environment and community? Where is this common? The highest concentrations of community gardens, co-ops, communal activities, preservation of local environment and resources.

I might get more results looking for where these are lacking.:eek:

Off the top of my head I'd say Oregon is a good state to start with, and you can't beat the Statistical Abstract for data. >> Statistical Abstract :) :eek2:

Thank you for the link, it gave me a little bit more info. Very general, good numbers though.

May I asked why you said Oregon? Purely aesthetic? That region of the country was going to be my guess. Most outdoorsy type of population, more self sufficiency in the northern regions.