Science Forums

Are you going to go see Homer this week?

Buffy

Are you going to go see Homer this week?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are you going to go see Homer this week?

• Yes! Dooooooonuuuuuts!
    • No! I don't like being outdoors Smithers, for one thing, there's too many fat children.
    • D'oh! I've gone back in time to when dinosaurs weren't just confined to zoos.

Now for something completely vacuous...

With its international roll-out none of you have an excuse: Are you going to go see the long awaited Simpson's Movie this week?

If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd put them on in prime time, :cup:

Buffy

I'm a huge Simpson's fan. I've been watching it since it began (although, much less recently). In 7th grade band, we even played the theme song for our Winter concert. :note:

When I was in college, it was on Fox twice an evening, and my roomate and I would record both on VHS, editing out the commercials as it recorded using the pause button. We'd then have friends over endlessly, usually engaged in smoking of the bubble chamber variety, and we'd have the VHS tapes running in the background for what seemed like an eternity (although, my perception of time was likely not spot on :hihi:)

Strangely, however, I'm not really excited about the movie. In all honesty, I think I'm a bit put off by the extent of the marketing. Like I'm consciously trying to avoid being part of the human hive mind that is impacted by marketing and advertising. Call it my Inertial Individuality. :cup:

I hear they worked on the movie for 3 years, and Matt Groenig was recently on the Daily Show and confirmed my respect for him through is dialog. That's not the issue. I'm just not feelin' it, and I'll rent or buy the DVD later.

Eat my shorts, man. :cap:

"Where's the ANY key? Didn't I order a TAB?" :doh::doh::doh:

Kowabunga, dude. :)

Infinite, there wasn't such a huge marketing reading this thread I only know of the existence of this movie! Usually for all the big US-movies there is marketing also over here, but this time...I wonder why?

Good question. I am not sure. Here, they went really over the top, and even converted the local convenient store (7-11) into "Quickie Marts," and instead of purchasing "Slurpies," customers could purchase "Squishies."

Come to think of it, I suppose that I'm not very consistent in this part of my logic. The movie Harry Potter had tremendous "hype," but I still went and saw that (and enjoyed it, too). I guess something about the Simpson's movie just feels "flat" to me, and I'd rather wait until DVD. :)

Cheers. :)

Here, they went really over the top, and even converted the local convenient store (7-11) into "Quickie Marts," and instead of purchasing "Slurpies," customers could purchase "Squishies."
7-11 gave franchisees a free "upgrade" to transform their stores if they wanted to. For some reason, they're *all over* Los Angeles, but I've only seen one in the San Francisco area. They are hilarious!

Hey Now: I thought you were a *fan*! You should know that's "Kwik-e-Mart!" :)

I guess something about the Simpson's movie just feels "flat" to me, and I'd rather wait until DVD. :)
One thing to remember though: the marketing folks have gone out of their way to expose *nothing* about the plot. This might or might not be a good thing, but to me its quite refreshing seeing as how most movie trailers these days give away all the good jokes months before you ever see the movie!

We're going to go see it as soon as the little one is back from Kamp, although I can see the argument that its not really the kind of thing you'd *have* to see on a big screen (in fact for the Bubble Chamber crowd, it might turn into a very bad trip... :evil: )

This is so weird! It’s like something out of Dickens...or Melrose Place, :)

Buffy

This is 1 movie I'm not going to wait to see. :) Although I'll wait after the first weekend.

I even passed up on Transformers, and as a kid Transformers and GI JOE were it!

Who do you especially want to see??

I hope Barney makes a good appearance!

"Heeeyy Homer! Brrrrraaaaaaaapppppp" :evil::):)

:hihi:

I likely won't see it in a theatre, but I can't wait for it to come to our living room. :D Groening is from just across the river (Columbia R.) and takes many of the names used in the show from Portland Oregon and vicinity. We have a Springfield, Oregon too. Flanders is a street in Portland is another 'inside' joke. One of my own favorite epithets to sum up neer-do-wells is "they are Homer Simpsoning their way through life." ;) :)

Groening is from just across the river (Columbia R.) and takes many of the names used in the show from Portland Oregon and vicinity. We have a Springfield, Oregon too. Flanders is a street in Portland is another 'inside' joke. One of my own favorite epithets to sum up neer-do-wells is "they are Homer Simpsoning their way through life." ;) :)

Mayor Quimby is also a spoof of a former Portland Mayor who I can't recall off the top of my head... ;)

:D