Science Forums

Strange Numbers

Turtle

Turtle, sent you a version to test and give some feedback. All calculations appear to be corrected. All catagories separated. Runs faster. Built in Katabatak in bases 2 to 185. Doesn't build extract files for analysis yet, but that is not difficult. Have company coming to spend the weekend, so I want to get this done so it isn't luring me to my keyboard. :) :cup: :eek2: :eek2:

Let me know how it works. :lol:

Bill

Morning Turtle! Sending that error message was perfect. I got it fixed easily from that. I was wondering about the factors display. I could give you a selector for how they are displayed if you wish. I was thinking...

1) like they are now

2) ascending

3) descending

4) grouped by pairs

If you want them grouped by pairs let me know the format (or several formats each as their own option). If there is any other pattern you want to see let me know. I am exploring some new programming techniques, so I am learning on many fronts by doing this with you!

I was also thinking of making a list of Primes as the search happens. Right now it only does a progressive search. I am thinking of adding a "from-to" search feature so that we can make this a distributed computing app. I do have a bunch of PC's that I could set up in the basement and just let them crunch numbers. Maybe this summer I can get that working... Hmmm... In the mean time, let me know if there is anything else that you would like to see happening on the program. I was thinking about adding a page that is a full functioning scientific calculator with graphing and functions that you don't normally see in a calculator (like nth root, factoring, Katabatak, base transposition, unlimited digit numbers, etc.) Anything else you would want to see if you could build your own calculator?

Bill

OK, Turtle

1) I am changing the write method so it is not constant. That was sloppy. My house is so noisy that I couldn't hear I guess. I am going to have it cache everything to memory and write to disk periodically, and when the search is stopped. Should have a speed benefit too.

2) I am putting in a "list search" function for finding items within a list that fit certain criteria. The results will dump into a separate list that you can click on like the others for analysis, or write to a file.

3) Factoring fixed. Also cleaned up the method I was using to gather them which should give better performance.

4) Added a selector for switching between searching even numbers or all numbers.

I will post an update tonight before I hit the sack.

Bill

Turtle, it is time to hit the sack.

I added finished 1, 3 and 4. Started 3. You will see that it does a little bit, but is not a search tool... yet. It now only writes to the disk when it has 100K of text stored, or when you stop the search, or when you close the program.

I you need to to give me some suggestions for the type of seach criteria that would be additional to what you have already listed. What you show so far is very doable. The way it will work is you will fill the 'find list' with the numbers you want scanned. You set the criteria and let it start. It will remove from the list numbers that do not fit the criteria. Not sophistcated, but it will work.

Don't stay up too late!

Bill

Operational note: I ran the Numberator to over 33 million last night to find the next Perfect & Anomalous Strange, but when I just loaded the values they weren't on the list.:lightning

Turtle, please open the "Numbers.txt" file and the "Next.txt" file and let me know what the last entry in each is. The first file is all the numbers that it has saved. The second is the point that it quit counting so it knows where to continue. I need those values to help understand why it isn't being loaded again. :eek_big:

Bill

Next:34896258

Numbers, last: 0S34907442

These values look correct & the program restarts with Next value. The individual category sections however are only loading part of the lists & anomalies.

Maybe I stopped it wrong?

Anyway, I think I deleted the important discovery which is that multiplying a Prime by a Perfect does not always give a member of one of the Unusual Sets, as we previously postulated.

Standing...err sitting by.:phones:

Hmmm.... Can you e-mail the numbers file to me? I want to look more closely at it to insure it is in fact recording everything as it should. :confused: :steering: :smart:

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I started the Numberator on a dedicated machine last week. It crossed over the 500,000,000 milestone last night. At this point it has found 52 anomolous strange numbers. Currently searching at 550/second. This number is declining as the numbers grow larger. Patients is the key for us right now.

Turtle, at the end of this week I will copy and zip the output file and send it off to you for analysis. I am on vacation next week (doing some spring cleaning and turning the garage into a workshop) so I will complete some more of the analysis capability of the Numberator and send a new version.

On a side note, I have the program crunching away in a "war room" dedicated to my current project at work. We have four computers setup for user training, and that has ended, but the computers will be in the room for a couple of more weeks. Last nught I was giving a status update to some of the executives who sponsored the project. Our corperate VP of IT was among them and he sat at the PC running the numberator. Not recognizing the program he asked me before the meeting began what it was. I explained. He laughed and said it was really cool. It is great working for nerds. Maybe I can get him to join Hypo.

Bill

I have received the file & started looking it over. On the account of Strange Numbers (numbers abundant by 12) the Numberator searched the first615,337,698 integers to find 5,900,271 Strange Numbers and no new anomalies. Is it possible no more exist?:doh:

There's the rub; to find out we have to factor all the integers.:eek:

:doh:

Time for a quantum processor!

I believe we will find more Strange Anomalies than the current three. Note, all three have an odd number of pairs. Only one other anomalous number has an odd number of pairs. But it is deeper than that. The number of pairs seem to be clustered in specific even numbers. Note how it jumps from 18 to 24 in the last group.

Bill

I am using the FIND feature in the Numberator to analyze our set. 7391450 numbers are in the current set. I am looking at the possibility that all Strange numbers in a given catagory all have the same number of paired factors. But all the anamolies have a number of pairs different than that norm.

They are Strange(4), Bizarre (6), Peculiar(12), Curious(14), Quirky(26). None of the anomalies in the same sets have that number of pairs. All of the regular strange have exactly those number of pairs.

More to follow!

Bill

so, therre is always a two to some power greater than one in the factorization right?

hmm, maybe [math]2^k-1[/math] is mersenne prime? any confirmation?

but one of the curious anomalies is [math]476587264=2^8*607*3067[/math]. maybe it's either [math]2^k-1[/math] is mersenne prime or [math]2^k+1[/math] is prime (forgot the name of this kind of prime, the one in the form of [math]2^{2^k}+1[/math])

if we can find out the pattern of a and b or what forms they are in... we might be able to figure out why these anomalies exist...

since all even perfect numbers are in the form of [math](2^{p-1})(2^p-1)[/math], there might be some kinds of connections there...