Science Forums

pgrmdave

Just to stay on topic here for a moment. Does everyone, when they create a profile, start off with +20 rep points?

Killean,

I think that everyone starts off with 10 points, if they are registered as a general user.

I know that the Mods have more, as do the Admins.

And I think that certain people have more 'Rep Power' than others, as a rule. For instance, new users start with no Rep Power. We'll have to consult Tormod to find out why the RP is important...

What? He isn't? But... but... GAHD told me he was! If we did not follow what our almighty GAHD tells us and question his every word and action, then we are heratics and should be burned at the stake! :)

My theory is that he wants people to see him as a bad naughty man but end up finding that he has a great mind and a good heart. Yet people should be careful when speaking to him or they might just end up being burned at the stake.

Be sure to read this quickly before he edits this last part out. :)

GAHD in the real world is a very generous individual in more ways then I can count. He does have a nasty side to him but it takes a while to get on his nerves (that is unless he is sleeping. DO NOT try to force him to wake! I almost; 3 inches, got a shiner from one of my previous attempts). That man will try to teach you most of what you need, usualy to the point where you can take it on your own. Lastly I assume the more you appeal to his megalomanichal side you rise higher in his list of good people, that or if you give him a good argument that makes him think is another good way. There you go, GAHD from a followers point of view.

ok, GAHD, who are you trying to fool?

do you really think anyone is going to believe you are 'infamous'?

lol, as Killean prooved to me earlyer not everyone knows that a title appears if you hover over the red/green dots. I just think that the red dots look better.

Besides, maby those that do will :)[CartmanVoice]RESPECT MY AUTORITAH! [/CartmanVoice]:)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey, in case you guys haven't noticed, the Mod/Admin staff have started using REP a lot more. Instead of just mentioning in a thread that a post is a bit crass/tacky/unwarranted etc. we've started giving out Negative Rep Points.

But on the bright side, some of us have been very busy giving out Positive Rep Points also. I like to do a bunch of happy ones, especially in threads that are keeping things on track, and everyone is playing nice.

BTW, Rep Points are responsible for how many little green cubes you have. Everyone starts off with the same amount, and you get more as more people give you postive Rep.

You can read Rep comments left for you by other members by checking out your "User CP". The last five comments you have received are listed there.

Ahhhh, thanks Irish.

Reminiscing on my first few points I received is always fun...

I still remember when I only had 34 points and was happy to have it... I am now the proud owner of 201 reputation points :shrug: (Thanks to Irish Eyes, I was at 191 for a while, that was torture waiting for the next 9 points and another green box :wave:). Snapping back to reality... The moral of the post is, be sure to show appreciation, acknowledgement of a good post, or otherwise by clicking the blue check mark at the left of the end of a users post (Be sure it says "I approve" before sending it though :wave:). And if you think someone is showing unwarranted behavior, offensive dialogue (be reasonable though[unless it's GAHD :)], this affects their reputation), or is extremely discourteous be sure an' let em' know by clicking that same blue check mark and then selecting the "I disapprove" option.

(Note: After you give reputation to a member you must spread it around to ten other people before being able to give it back to the first person. I always thought this number was a tad high, but hey, if you don't believe me... try giving me positive reputation twice in a row :rant:. Actually that reminds me... You also can't give reputation twice on the same post.... So your going to have to find another one of my posts to verify the above :D)

Just wanted to give this one a nudge.

Besides, I've seen lots of people sporting new green cubes out there, and wanted to say "Congrats!".

Remember, Rep isn't just for the Mods and Admin staff to hand out. Anyone can do it. And the more Rep you give/get, the higher your 'Rep Power' will be. Which means that 'your' Rep could be the one that gives another member their next lil' green cube!

Stay on top of this, guys. It's nice to see people being rewarded for their hard work. And Rep is one of the ways we do that.

So start passing 'em out, if you think they are deserved. PMs are great, but Rep is better sometimes. :)

___I have also noticed that after giving a bunch of rep points in a short time you get a message saying you have to wait a while before giving more. If it was too easy, it wouldn't be as valuable. :)
The following is also above...
(Note: After you give reputation to a member you must spread it around to ten other people before being able to give it back to the first person. I always thought this number was a tad high, but hey, if you don't believe me... try giving me positive reputation twice in a row ;). Actually that reminds me... You also can't give reputation twice on the same post.... So your going to have to find another one of my posts to verify the above ;))

___You usually catch me up Darkmind in such errors, but not this time. Let me be a bit verbose; if I give A a rep, then B a rep, then C a rep, etc., giving different people rep each time, when I reach some A+n different member I give rep to, I get a message saying I have spread around enough rep for the day & I have to wait to give any new different reps. I think it only happened once & I didn't pay attention to what value n has. If that doesn't make sense yet, I can be a little less clear in a longer exposition. :)

___I have also noticed that after giving a bunch of rep points in a short time you get a message saying you have to wait a while before giving more. If it was too easy, it wouldn't be as valuable. ;)
Congratulations Turtle! You got me :). Actually I guess I just mis-interpreted the above but hey, no one's perfect. And you've proved that many a time ;). Oh, and, so have I... or something... ;)