Science Forums

Sounds of Titan

Tormod

I see that ESA has released the first recordings made by the tiny microphone onboard Huygens.

Sounds of an alien world

http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEM85Q71Y3E_index_0.html

The first one is rather interesting to listen to (sounds from 1,25 billion kilometers away!) - the second has only noise from the onboard equipment if I understand the comment on the page correctly.

Just filtered the nominal decent. It sounds like a horror track. I again hear a buzzer except it is different from that of the after impact, and in continues to beep without any pause. Other then that and the slight static, there are a couple of REALLY strange noises at the very beginning and in the middle which sound like record scratching/warped saw/yelping (whichever is most useful as a reference). Check it out!

Two hours? Yikes that must be one large file.

Tormod said:

Wonder why they would have anything that beeps on a probe that noone will ever hear? :hihi:

Best guess I can come up with is that they had those on there during the test phases of the probe to make sure the process was working, and just thought that removing or disabling them before they sent it off was pointless.