Science Forums

Soda drink with pesticide?

Star30

:clock: Last Summer I read several articles alleging the same thing: Coke products containing pesticides

Popular Soda Pops Now Being Used as Pesticides

I could not find the same article, but the above website discusses the use of coke products as pesticides. My first thoughts are that with all the sugar it seems the solution would attract insects. YES? NO?

What do you think?

:clock: Last Summer I read several articles alleging the same thing: Coke products containing pesticides

Popular Soda Pops Now Being Used as Pesticides

I could not find the same article, but the above website discusses the use of coke products as pesticides. My first thoughts are that with all the sugar it seems the solution would attract insects. YES? NO?

What do you think?

I think the last paragraph in your link tells all. It is a quote from Coca-cola HQ, here in ATL.

"Soft drinks do not act in a similar way to pesticides when applied to the ground or crops. There is no scientific basis for this and the use of soft drinks for this purpose would be totally ineffective"

Right. I would hope something I drink would not contain pesticides.

How do you explain the allegations and what is the driving force?

Is this allegation the real reason for filing with the court to obtain the recipe for the popular Coke and Pepsi drinks?

You could say so in a certain way. Rather, the case is that a lot of popular beverages like coffee, cocoa, tea, or many sodas (including Coca-Cola and Pepsi) often contain one or more members of the family of chemicals known as methylxanthines:

Xanthine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Caffeine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Methylxanthines like caffeine, theobromine, and theophylline have weak stimulant effects in humans, but are chemical defenses that many plants use to fight insects and other herbivores. If they cannot detoxify these chemicals, their nervous systems and hormones to go out of whack and may kill them. Or if not, at least the toxins may serve to deter further attempts. If you sprayed Coca-Cola on crops, it's possible the high amounts of caffeine in the drink could kill or discourage insect pests. I haven't done any testing, but I have heard that even small amounts of caffeine can kill earthworms, slugs, and aphids. For example, feeding spent coffee grounds to earthworms, if one is trying to create "worm poop" for organic gardening, isn't recommended because of the low levels of caffeine still in the grounds. And if ants are attracted by the fructose in the drinks, that's another benefit to help squelch the surviving pests.

BTW, I want to note that humans are exceptionally good at detoxifying methylxanthines in our livers and that other animals like dogs and horses are not. In humans, caffeine, theobromine, and theophylline, in low to moderate doses, seem to have many beneficial health effects.

Right. I would hope something I drink would not contain pesticides.

I'm not saying that it couldn't be an insectiside, but rather that it is not ideal for that task.

How do you explain the allegations and what is the driving force?

Let's examine this a bit. The link is from Organic Consumers Association.

I'll preface my argument by proclaiming that I have a soft spot for organic food (and gmo-free food). I love the concept and practice it when I can (even if it just entails supporting the local growers).

This information is suspect on many levels:

1: "Preventive Psychiatry E-Newsletter # 189"

Psychiatry...

2: "Other farmers in Andra Pradesh state accused the company of

over-extracting underground water for its bottling plants and a

government committee upheld findings that drinks made in India by itself

and PepsiCo contained unacceptable amounts of pesticide residue."

This would infuriate me, if some kind of supportive evidence was presented. :applause:

Uncorroborated reports from China claimed that the ill-fated New Coke

was widely used in China as a spermicide.

:cocktail:

Is this allegation the real reason for filing with the court to obtain the recipe for the popular Coke and Pepsi drinks?

What the Helen of Troy are you talking about?