Science Forums

Linux & Windows

I need to run Windows because most of the games that I play are written for Windows, but I would like the security benefits of Linux. Is it possible to run both operating systems on one computer, using Linux for most of the time, and running Windows when I want to play games?

Linux like windows uses ports to transfer information, most types of linux should be able to scan the ports and find one that is active. I too use a router, without questioning how I was able to connect. Wireless I think is like a cabled connection only a piece of hardware converts the information into radio signals and back again.

For a more detailed responce you might need to wait for our friendly neighborhood Linux wiz.

Ok, it is absolutely possible to have both, with no problems. What you need is a boot loader, and what beter boot loader can you get than grub ( http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/ ). Wireless, ofcourse you can set it up, and it's not hard, and however the steps are different for most distros, it is possible with most.

As to installing the boot loader, if you wanted to setup Gentoo Linux, you can download the gentoo handbook, setting up the boot loader is one of the sections, also there's lots of documentation about grub online too, so you wont get lost there.

And lastly, why Grub? simply because if you were to repartition the drive, other boot loaders would die and not allow you to boot = pain, Grub will give you a basic command line that will allow you to boot no matter what...

At the moment, I'm typing on an emachines m6811 (laptop) that is dual-booted between Fedora Core 3 and XP. I agree that Grub is the way to go for boot loaders, although I've used Lilo with sucess as well. If you are new to Linux, I'd suggest Mandrake or Suse as a good 'introductory' distribution. I prefer Fedora because I do a fair amount of development and although it's a heavy distro (4 CDs or 1 DVD) - most of the toys I use are included. In my experience, Mandrake has been the best for providing ex-Windows users with familiar point-and-clickety interfaces.

Absolutly possible. I downloaded Slackware linux a while ago and installed it on my laptop. Slackware (not too sure about other distros) comes with boot loader software which at startup will let you choose which OS you want to use.

I am told by people who have do it that Slackware is the best version of Linux to mantain

as a dual boot. Also if you're going to do only use Win2k (w/latest sp) or XP (w/ same).

This is safer and more realiable. Anything else is just playing russian roulette with five

bullets. :hihi:

Maddog

Okay, follow-up question. I have limited space on my harddisk, which is 80 gigs but partitioned into 3 sections already to save time for backups etc. I have a second 60 GB drive which I use for backing up important data etc.

But I only have 8 gigs left on my C drive...I guess that is not enough to install Linux and still have a working version of Windows XP...or?

I just want Linux to try it out for surfing, writing and web authoring. I use Windows for music production, games, and photoshop work. None of my music apps work in Linux but I have heard there are some good graphics apps in Linux (GIMP?).

Okay, follow-up question. I have limited space on my harddisk, which is 80 gigs but partitioned into 3 sections already to save time for backups etc. I have a second 60 GB drive which I use for backing up important data etc.

But I only have 8 gigs left on my C drive...I guess that is not enough to install Linux and still have a working version of Windows XP...or?

I just want Linux to try it out for surfing, writing and web authoring. I use Windows for music production, games, and photoshop work. None of my music apps work in Linux but I have heard there are some good graphics apps in Linux (GIMP?).

My opinion is to breakdown and build another system. That is what I would do. Especially

if you need to depend on that system. Remember Murphy's law. O'Flarity's corrallary

goes something like you computer system will fail so as to do the most damage at the

most inopportune moment when you have the most urgent need. Be careful! :hihi:

Maddog

but I have heard there are some good graphics apps in Linux (GIMP?).

I love GIMP! It took me a bit to catch on to it, but it's probably the best graphics app i've used.

i'm fairly certain that you can still load your distro on that space, but i'll ask as soon as the man wakes up... about 10 minutes from now...

maddog said:

I am told by people who have do it that Slackware is the best version of Linux to mantain as a dual boot. Also if you're going to do only use Win2k (w/latest sp) or XP (w/same). This is safer and more realiable. Anything else is just playing russian roulette with five bullets.

I'm not too sure about the safty and reliability. Right after my first attempt to instal and got everything to work, I somehow managed to nearly fry my entire HD. Second time around with the same amount of tinkering as I did the first time, everything seemed to be alright.

Tormod said:

Slackware had some suggested sizes for the many partitions it needed. In total I think you only need 3-4 GB, anything else would simply be padding for the many programs you will use. For file storage, if one of your partitions is formated to FAT32, you can access it from both Linux and Win. I cannot assume that other distros need the same amount of room as Slackware, but I'm sure they cannot be more then 1-2GB more or less then it.

Does it say on the disk package or in the magazine the specs you need for instalation?

I'm supposed to tell you to check out knoppix. it runs directly off of a dvd, it's a whole linux distro that you boot straight from the dvd, without having to install anything.

i was also told that slackware is not overly friendly to new users. mandrake is pretty good, and suse 9.1 is nice as well.

that's all i could get out of him, he's still half asleep...

No, it doesn't say...but I'll see if I can merge some of my partitions. I am about to need a bigger harddrive so maybe I should just wait until I can get that...it would be kind of sad to ruin my XP installation which FINALLY works quite well after I ripped out some of the old hardware.

Found my Slackware instructions.

Here are the recomended sizes that they suggest:

Main Linux partiton for variable files is 1GB.

Swap partition for linux is 2GB.

8GB for the /usr directory which holds most of your programs. I think.

2GB for the /home directory which holds a bunch of valuable files. I think.

1GB for the /opt directory which houses some options for Linux. I think.

So the suggested size is 14GB, but can be lowered if you have size constraints.

Three I thinks are not a good sign that I should have been tinkering around with it. Maybe that explains why I crashed.

I'm supposed to tell you to check out knoppix. it runs directly off of a dvd, it's a whole linux distro that you boot straight from the dvd, without having to install anything.

Sounds like a good start. Do I just download it from Knoppix.com?

mandrake is pretty good, and suse 9.1 is nice as well.

I actually have Mandrake 9 too but never installed it. There's a newer version out but it costs money, AFAIK.

that's all i could get out of him, he's still half asleep...

Lazy, lazy. Why, can't we expect him to offer support in the middle of the night? Bah! :hihi: