Science Forums

Controlling mosquitoes.

So when we kill them all, what are we doing to the ecosystem?
Given the seeming impossibility of killing all the mosquitoes in any locale, I don’t think very many people have ever asked this excellent, if hypothetical, question. Given advances in bioscience, and the possibility that they might allow the creation of some sort of species-specific pathogen that actually could make the whole family or superfamily of mosquito-ish flies extinct, the question may not be forever a hypothetical one.

AFAIK, all of the several dozen species comprising Mosquito family (Culicidae) are nectar-feeders, so I’d guess their extinction might be trouble – perhaps extinction-level – for whatever sort of plants they, and nearly no other – insect feeds on, that depends on insects to spread their pollen.

Most Mosquito nymphs (larvae) eat microscopic plants and animals in the water, so their extinction might result in over-population of these plants and animals. Since ponds and other mosquito-prone bodies of water that have had 100% of their mosquito nymphs eradicated (not that hard, if the pond is well-defined, like an ornamental pool, and you’re diligent, and have a bit of light oil on hand) don’t appear to undergo any sort of small-scale ecological catastrophe, I don’t think this scenario too likely.

Many fishes (such as the ones Michaelangelica pictured) eat mosquito nymphs, so some of those species could be endangered, especially if they’ve specialized to eating little but mosquito nymphs. Compared to insect, however, most fishes have more flexible diets, so I suspect most of these fishes would at worst decline in population, not go extinct.

If the wiper-outer pathogen was a little too specific, and killed only some of the mosquito species, the ecosystem effect might be to increase the number of remaining mosquito species due to reduced competition, or wiping out the few mosquito species that prey on other mosquito species. If it was a little to general, and killed species several steps up the genetic tree, their beneficial effects lost. A few of those eat such things as tree-infecting mosses and algae, so something like a tree-disease epidemic might result.

The most obvious impact of wiping out all mosquitoes, however, would be that they’d no longer spread disease to human beings and other animals. Though this seems nothing but good, disease biology can be a tricky. Possibly the elimination of mosquito born diseases would result in a weakening of human and animal immune systems, making them susceptible to more severe diseases infections and epidemics.

A less obvious impact would be that areas that are now unattractive for human population due to a high rate of mosquito-born disease would become attractive. Rapid development of these areas could upset the ecosystems of these areas in the many ways rapid human development can upset ecosystems.

On the long term, there are a number of more and less wild theories that suggest that evolution depends a lot on genetic information carried by benign and disease-causing viruses. Cutting a major disease vector out of the ecosystem could, therefore, have a long-term effect on human and animal evolution. My hunch is this scenario is not much cause for concern, because ecosystems seem to be robust and adaptive, tolerating the extinction of even wide ranges of species.

In short, the benefit of wiping out mosquitoes – which, for millions of people each year, (including our own boerseun!), is literally a matter of life and death, seems greater than the risk to the ecosystem – though, as with everything biological, knowing more about the risk can’t be anything but a good thing.

Given the seeming impossibility of killing all the mosquitoes in any locale, I don’t think very many people have ever asked this excellent, if hypothetical, question.

Have you seen the Florida Air Force used for spaying the state with orthophosphates?

This is only one way (of many) of spraying the State.

In 1996, organized MCDs in Florida listed the following aircraft used for adulticiding:(chucking pesticide about from a great hight)

Fixed-Wing Aircraft

12 Douglas DC-3/C-47

3 Beech 18/C-45

1 Beech King Air C-90

1 Beech Queen Air

1 Beech Twin Bonanza

2 Piper Aztec

4 Cessna 337

Helicopters

2 BellUH-1B

9 Hughes/MD 500 C, D & E

2 Bell 206

3 Bell 47

4 Hughes 269 A, B & C

Given advances in bioscience,

there are some studies on making sterile males etc

AFAIK, all of the several dozen species comprising Mosquito family (Culicidae) are nectar-feeders, so I’d guess their extinction might be trouble – perhaps extinction-level – for whatever sort of plants they, and nearly no other – insect feeds on, that depends on insects to spread their pollen.

Yes I think it is unfortunate that mosquito=bad when very few mosquitoes bite humans and even fewer species transmit pathogens/disease.

If 1% of Kindergarden kids bite should they all be killed?

Most Mosquito nymphs (larvae) eat microscopic plants and animals in the water, so their extinction might result in over-population of these plants and animals. . . I don’t think this scenario too likely.

the truth is we don't know. Very little work seems to be being done on the possibility of mosquitoes having "good" ecosystem out comes

so I suspect most of these fishes would at worst decline in population, not go extinct.

Well the sprays like orthophosphates don't help. They are mostly (80%+) very toxic to fish and phytoplankton. Synthetic pyrethroids are also toxic to fish.

The most obvious impact of wiping out all mosquitoes, however, would be that they’d no longer spread disease to human beings and other animals.

No, just certain mosquitoes

Though this seems nothing but good, disease biology can be a tricky. Possibly the elimination of mosquito born diseases would result in a weakening of human and animal immune systems, making them susceptible to more severe diseases infections and epidemics.

A long bow, but you never know.

A less obvious impact would be that areas that are now unattractive for human population due to a high rate of mosquito-born disease would become attractive. Rapid development of these areas could upset the ecosystems of these areas in the many ways rapid human development can upset ecosystems

We drained swamps because we need more agricultural land land and fewer mosquitoes.

We now discovering that this was a mistake and many wetlands have important ecological roles in the system.

My hunch is this scenario is not much cause for concern, because ecosystems seem to be robust and adaptive, tolerating the extinction of even wide ranges of species.

True , so far, but now ecosystems are under unprecedented attack from all quarters.

In short, the benefit of wiping out mosquitoes – which, for millions of people each year, (including our own boerseun!), is literally a matter of life and death, seems greater than the risk to the ecosystem – though, as with everything biological, knowing more about the risk can’t be anything but a good thing.

Agreed, we know too little.

I also think we need to be a little more specific and targeted about our "War on Mossies" not the massive spraying of all varieties of mosquito like that in the USA.

(I think Florida does it to help their tourism industry.-

I wonder if the Tourists appreciate this - and what their reaction would be if they knew the full extent of pesticide use?)

No, I don't think I would want to be sprayed (even unintentionaly per say)with insecticide at any time especially not on holiday. When I think of going to Florida I think of beautiful ocean water.

The good thing, Florida counties do attempt mosquito control by budgeting for application of mosquito eating fish as michaelangelica nicely posted with #17 above.

No, I don't think I would want to be sprayed (even unintentionaly per say)with insecticide at any time especially not on holiday. When I think of going to Florida I think of beautiful ocean water.

The good thing, Florida counties do attempt mosquito control by budgeting for application of mosquito eating fish as michaelangelica nicely posted with #17 above.

Unfortunately the sprays either kill the fish or the food they live on.

You are sprayed every day of your life in one way or another.

• 1 month later...
Edible fish may be key to fighting malaria

A Kenyan-led study suggests the Nile tilapia -- a commonly eaten fish in Kenya -- can help fight malaria mosquitoes.

Annabel Howard and Francois Omlin of the International Center of Insect Physiology and Ecology in Nairobi, Kenya, introduced Nile tilapia (Oreochronmis niloticus L) to abandoned fishponds in western Kenya.

The researchers then monitored pond life, comparing the restocked ponds with a nearby control pond. After 15 weeks the scientists found the fish had reduced both Anopheles gambiae s.l. and Anopheles funestus, the region's primary malaria vectors, by more than 94 percent, as well as decimating three quarters of the culicine mosquito population.

The findings suggest Kenyans can use the fish to limit mosquito populations, and also get food and income from them, the scientists said.

O. niloticus fish were so effective in reducing immature mosquito populations that there is likely to be a noticeable effect on the adult mosquito population in the area, Howard said, noting the control method is apparently sustainable, since the fish breed and provide a continuous population.

The research is available in the online journal BMC Public Health.

Copyright 2007 by United Press International

Publication date: 13 August 2007

Source: UPI-1-20070813-15222100-bc-kenya-malaria.xml

Edible fish may be key to fighting malaria

• 3 weeks later...
Why do mosquito traps have to be so expensive?

Hello Michaelangelica,

I worked at an environmental resort once that had a network of solar powered CO2 mosquito traps. You might be a bit mistaken if you think that the traps are used for direct mosquito control purposes as opposed to identifying which areas required further treatment.

I would regularly talk to the Pest Control worker who would take the plastic cannisters from the traps to the local council for automatic counting and identification.

The main mosquito controls used was the continuous treatment of pools of water to sterilise, not kill, the mosquito larvae along with localised fogging in areas when things became unbearable 7 days after rain.

The machines are expensive because they are used as scientific survey instruments, not killing machines.

• 1 month later...

I don't like the idea of aerial sparying.

It is a shotgun approach killing all insects including good mosquitoes.

Thus altering the whole food-chain and ecology of a region.

I would be happier if spraying could be more precise and focused.

Here is an idea that involves NO spraying.

Darwin mosquito study could have global implications

Posted October 30, 2007 18:28:00

Researchers say a new mosquito study in the Northern Territory will play a key role in reducing debilitating viruses worldwide.

The world first study, taking place in the floodplains around Darwin, is assessing whether controlling swamp vegetation will help reduce the need for costly aerial spraying.

Researchers fear climate change and rising sea levels will heighten the global threat of disease carrying mosquitos. Medical entomologist, Dr Peter Whelan, says simpler and cheaper alternatives to aerial spraying are particularly important in developing nations.

"We're looking at different, alternate methods like burning and slashing the swamp to see if that's going to have an effect on the amount of eggs and the production from those eggs to mosquitos," he said.

Darwin mosquito study could have global implications ABC Darwin

Darwin mosquito study could have global implications

* Map: Darwin 0800

Researchers say a new mosquito study in the Northern Territory will play a key role in reducing debilitating viruses worldwide.

The world first study, taking place in the floodplains around Darwin, is assessing whether controlling swamp vegetation will help reduce the need for costly aerial spraying.

Darwin mosquito study could have global implications - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Want to go into the Importing Business?

I found this in a Taiwan Trade Pages magazine I still get for some obscure reason

A mosquito trap by Lancer Biotech Co., Ltd.

China Manufacturers/Suppliers: Chinese Products from Taiwan/China Exporters Trade Directory: Asia Manufacturer/Supplier

That advertised address did not find it but I finally found it here

Lancer Biotech Co., Ltd. - 1. Bamboo Carbon Rice Cooker/Steamer Inner Pot 2. Dengue-Free Mosquito Catcher @ ttnet.net Supplier Homepage

1. Highly effective in controlling mosquitoes

2. Eco-friendly

3. New invention that incorporates state-of-the-art

biochemistry technology

4. We care about your life and health. It's everyone's

responsibility to combat dengue fever.

5. 3-meter effective range

6. Consumes no electricity; safe to operate; operates 24

hours a day

7. The herbal mosquito-trapping liquid is made of natural

herbal extracts, produces no smoke, and causes no harm

to humans and animals. With state-of-the-art

technology, it emits a human-like odor to attract

mosquitoes. This product is effective, safe to use, and

eco-friendly.

etc human-like odour ? Which human?

Some other stuff here

ttnet.net - Category Search -

• 2 weeks later...

A Ray-Gun for Mosquitoes?

The new vaccine is a departure from previous approaches, which have usually depended on proteins derived from only part of the parasite Plasmodium falciparum, the most dangerous species of parasite that causes malaria.

Using vaccines based on whole living parasites had been on scientists' minds for several decades, after they discovered that volunteers built up high levels of protection to malaria after being exposed to mosquitoes containing live, radiation-weakened parasites. But manufacturing technology only recently has been developed to the point where it is possible to efficiently extract weakened parasites from their mosquito carriers in order to make a vaccine.

With their knowledge of measuring radiation doses for industrial processes such as medical equipment sterilization, NIST researchers have been lending their expertise for several years to Maryland-based biotech firm Sanaria Inc., which is creating the new vaccine. In the manufacturing process, live mosquitoes containing the parasite are exposed to gamma rays

Bug-Zapper: A Dose Of Radiation May Help Knock Out Malaria

• 1 month later...
The mosquito's elaborate "nose" consists of hundreds of hollow hair-like structures called sensilla attached to its antennae, maxillary palps and proboscis. The tips of these structures are perforated with thousands of tiny holes that let aromatic compounds penetrate to their interior, where they encounter thread-like extensions from neurons which are tuned to detect specific molecules.

Compared to the mosquito's antennae, which are designed to detect hundreds of different compounds, the study found that the maxillary palps are highly specialized. "The amazing thing that we found was that all the sensory hairs that line the bottom of the maxillary palps are identical," says Zwiebel. They are all attached to three neurons: one which is tuned to detect carbon dioxide; one which is tuned to detect octenol; and one which serves to enhance general olfactory reception.

Fighting Malaria By Tricking Mosquito's Sense Of Smell

The team found that humans and the mosquitoes that carry the malaria parasite share the same complex carbohydrate, heparan sulfate. In both humans and mosquitoes, heparan sulfate is a receptor for the malaria parasite, binding to the parasite and giving it quick and easy transport through the body. The team was led by Robert J. Linhardt, the Ann and John H. Broadbent Jr. ’59 Senior Constellation Professor of Biocatalysis and Metabolic Engineering at Rensselaer.

“The discovery allows us to think differently about preventing the disease,” Linhardt said. “If we can stop heparan sulfate from binding to the parasite in mosquitoes, we will not just be treating the disease, we will be stopping its spread completely.”

Malaria parasites are extremely finicky about their hosts, Linhardt explained. Birds, rodents, humans, and primates all can be infected with malaria, but each species is infected by a different species of mosquito — and each of those mosquitoes is infected by a different malaria parasite. In other words, there needs to be a perfect match at the molecular basis for malaria to spread from one species to another, Linhardt said. Researchers have long understood this deadly partnership, but the molecular basis for the match had never been determined.

“The discovery marks a paradigm shift in stopping malaria,”

Discovery Could Help Stop Malaria At Its Source -- The Mosquito

Here is a plan!

Making A Friendlier Mosquito

ScienceDaily (Apr. 21' date=' 2004) — Genetically modified mosquitoes that cannot transmit malaria are one hope for battling the disease that still kills over one million people a year. But that plan faces some serious snags,[/quote']

Making A Friendlier Mosquito

They should make one that won't bite

Got myself a few geckos in my house, and two fat ones have taken permanent residence in my bedroom. I regularly fall asleep with the reading light on, and this of course attracts all kinds of bugs. The geckos are having a raving time, and are growing fatter every day. I saw one take down a moth with a body almost as big as the gecko's! These things are vicious, like tiny wall-crocodiles! But since I've got them, the mozzies in my house have noticably tapered off in numbers...

Geckos are awesome! If these two in my bedroom continue growing as they have, and get more ambitious with their prey, as they have, pretty soon they're gonna be taking down the neighbour's chickens!

Got myself a few geckos in my house, and two fat ones have taken permanent residence in my bedroom...These things are vicious, like tiny wall-crocodiles! But since I've got them, the mozzies in my house have noticably tapered off in numbers...

I think geckos are awesome too! Mozzies love me and I'd happily get some geckos but I don't think they'd be safe from my cats.

I've found lavendar to be quite effective at keeping the mozzies away. I liberally apply lavendar cream to exposed skin and I don't get bitten. Citronella candles are great too.

• 2 months later...

I heard a great story about geckos will tell it to you soon

Now another solution is on the horizon. Scientists at the University of Melbourne have discovered a bacterium that may reduce the fertility of the dreaded Malaria carrying mosquito. Interestingly, they found the bacterium in the most unlikely of places - in the stomach of insects.

Professor Ary Hoffmann and Dr Andrew Weeks from the department of Genetics at the University of Melbourne used the Californian fruit fly (Drosophilia) as a model in their experiments to study a bacterium that commonly infects insects but has evolved from being parasitic to becoming a fertility aid.

"In the Wolbachia bacteria, we have found that they had rapidly changed from being parasitic and therefore detrimental to their insect host, to engaging in a mutualistic relationship where both bacteria and insect benefit because the insect gains enhanced fertility," said Andrew.

"We believe this bacterium could be an option for pest control in order to kill the common human disease carriers, mosquitoes.

"Wolbachia is spread from an infected male to an uninfected female," Andrew explained. "We found that within 20 years, the infected females had gone from having reduced fertility with a 15-20 per cent reduction in egg production, to a 10 per cent increase in egg production under laboratory conditions. Our results suggest a small reduction, but similar changes are occurring in nature.

Velocity

• 2 months later...