Science Forums

Brand New: Introduction

Star30

Hello everyone, You can call me Star if you like. I prefer nothing negative which as I read is frowned on anyway. I am a 2nd year RN student in the US. I am about to complete a 5 week Microbiology class that ends up is 3.5 week. How do you cram Microbiology in 3.5 weeks, 6 hours a day Monday - Friday with 3 days + weekends off in between. Sorry, I am just a little stressed and tired.

I was researching the controversial topic of DDT use in regards to Malaria, when I found Michaelangelica's hypography posting on google. So here I am trying it out. My interests are Health topics and everything Science.

Well, Thanks for checking out my posting and I hope it wasn't plain.

Talk to you soon.

Hello everyone, You can call me Star if you like. I prefer nothing negative which as I read is frowned on anyway.

no -itives here we are all happy bears.:pain30:

I am a 2nd year RN student in the US

RN =nursing? registrar?

I am about to complete a 5 week Microbiology class that ends up is 3.5 week. How do you cram Microbiology in 3.5 weeks, 6 hours a day Monday - Friday with 3 days + weekends off in between.

it's the names which get me. I read quickly and anything over 4 syllables I skip. Never could pass biology.

Sorry, I am just a little stressed and tired.

go and play with the microbes in the garden.(See terra preta "critters thread")

A nice herb tea (lemon balm?) would be good.

I was researching the controversial topic of DDT use in regards to Malaria, when I found Michaelangelica's hypography posting on google. So here I am trying it out

I just posted something there. The NY Time's John Tiirney has just dumped on Rachel Carson AGAIN .(I wish I had a$1 for evertime that happened to her and everytime she was hailed as a saint- )

DDT is really one of the more innocuous of the chlorinated hydrocarbons Toxaphene, Chlordane Dieldrin etc are BAD news. I don't see that we have the right to inflict future generations with pesticides that do not -for all intents and purposes- break down.

Recent research shows that they also adversely effect soil fertility. ( Kill the 'critters' in the soil making fertiliser etc)

My interests are Health topics and everything Science.

My interests too so we will cross paths.

I leave the physics, maths, chemistry, computers, to the boffins.

Well, Thanks for checking out my posting and I hope it wasn't plain.

Talk to you soon.

Welcome Star :airplane: :hihi:

Thanks Michaelangelica

You really opened my eyes to reason why not to use DDT. I'd like to talk more about this. I am all about environmental concervation for without a habitable earth where will we live. At the same time I see the rising numbers of victims succumbing to Malaria because of the mosquito infestation. The anopheles mosquito bites primarily at night, right? So, one alternative is to use mosquito netting over the beds, but we need something to control the number of mosquitos to decrease the transfer of the parasites and number of victims.

On another note let me ask you, what has come of the identification of the jelly fish that causes the Irukandji Syndrome? I saw on Discovery the discussion of how the Box Jellyfish is similiar. Are you familiar with this?

Talk to you soon,

Star

Thanks Michaelangelica

I am all about environmental concervation for without a habitable earth where will we live. At the same time I see the rising numbers of victims succumbing to Malaria because of the mosquito infestation. The anopheles mosquito bites primarily at night, right? So, one alternative is to use mosquito netting over the beds, but we need something to control the number of mosquitos to decrease the transfer of the parasites and number of victims.

There is a thread here on Malaria

http://hypography.com/forums/medical-science/11394-malaria.html?highlight=maleria

There are a lot of possible breakthroughs in treatment nearing completion.

One is in clinical trials in Brisbane now.

I will start a thread on controlling mosquitoes.

Here

http://hypography.com/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=32

As for mosquitoes all DDT does is save you from frequent spaying.It does not break down but just spreads out in the environment.

If you use a natural pesticide you have to spray perhaps daily or weekly depending on what you use.

On another note let me ask you, what has come of the identification of the jelly fish that causes the Irukandji Syndrome? I saw on Discovery the discussion of how the Box Jellyfish is similiar. Are you familiar with this?

Talk to you soon,

Star

I don't know. I will google a bit and let you know what I find