Science Forums

History of science

This is a practice exam question on a course relating to the history of science that I am trying out in order to prepare for my exam, but I am kind of stuck on this question. I hope somebody can help me out!

[Total marks: 7x2=14]

I would match:

Leibniz with calculus (or Newton? I am not too sure whether each person can be matched to multiple answers...but the total marks for this entire question is 7x2=14 so maybe not...but how can I pick only one of them?)

Newton with reflecting telescope

Leeuwenhoek with protozoa

Halley with comet

Galileo? I have no idea which should be match to him...

Hooke? Descartes?

Can anyone please help me out so that I can gain more confidence before writing the exam?

Thanks a lot!:evil:

According to my readings, I would match Galileo with refracting telescope, law of falling bodies, projectile motion, features on the moon, sunspots, Jupiter's Moons (but I can't find any of these on the right side), but I am not aware of his contributions to either centripetal or centrifugal force...did Galileo do any work on it?

According to my readings, I would match Galileo with refracting telescope, law of falling bodies, projectile motion, features on the moon, sunspots, Jupiter's Moons (but I can't find any of these on the right side), but I am not aware of his contributions to either centripetal or centrifugal force...did Galileo do any work on it?

'lines to appropriates'!? Who writes this stuff!? :hihi: Anyway, Galileo with centripetal force for his work determining the acceleration of gravity. Centripetal force is the inward force on a body in circular motion, and while most often Galileo is linked to dropping balls of different mass from the Tower of Piza, he did his exacting experiments and calculations using inclined planes of precise length & pitch.

That about does it for me on this one. Rock on Kingwinner. :) :evil:

So I question 'lines' because its not clear if we can associate people with multiple areas and or associate an area with multiple people. Sorry; just ranting on poor exam writing.

So...Descarte. :evil: I kept thinking him over, so 'I am'. :) :hihi: But seriously folks; Descarte with centrifugal force for his invention of analytic geometry. His equation of the parabola gives us ballistics, which is forces on a body acting against gravity (centripetal), so it's centrifugal.