Science Forums

Australia

well its odd, in my short 19 year experience, it seemed that the 06/07 summer started really early, was a fairly hot one, and also dragged on and finished late. But when we did finnally hit the 07 winter all of a sudden its been really cold - will it finish early? ;) any predictions?

No

The re-writing of the Australian social contract a la the American model

Big Ideas

Sunday 08 July 2007

Listen Now - 08072007 | Download Audio - 08072007

Risky Business

Nation states and corporations used to bear the brunt of financial risk in an uncertain world. But the process of market liberalisation over the past two decades has changed all that.

One of the hallmarks of the globalised economy is the process by which risk has been the transferred on to the shoulders of ordinary people who now routinely take part of the hit if things come unstuck.

According to the International Monetary Fund, the household sector has become the shock absorber of last resort in the financial system. Welcome to the world of individually managed risk. But are we equipped for this role and is it desirable?

Big Ideas

well its odd, in my short 19 year experience, it seemed that the 06/07 summer started really early, was a fairly hot one, and also dragged on and finished late. But when we did finnally hit the 07 winter all of a sudden its been really cold - will it finish early? ;) any predictions?

Hello Jay-qu,

Around here (SE QLD) it has been a pretty normal winter and one of the coolest summers for a long time. In 1986 we had a frost that left ice on auto windscreens 150M from the beach. The minimums have all been above zero since (and the 20 years prior) then.

I predict that many people from VIC and NSW will move up here (again, ha) and, with any luck, we will have a normal summer (with plenty of rain).

The re-writing of the Australian social contract a la the American model

I think he was talking about something that has happened, not something that is going to happen.

Remember little Johnny's brother, National Textiles and the $50billion of our dollars (previously public assets) that will go to prop up (or manipulate) the market in the 'Future Fund' because at least 60% of 80% of our superannuation is loaded into shares.

BTW, when are they going to lock up somebody (charged or uncharged) over the AWB scandal where an Aust Govt corporation gave Saddam Hussein $300 million during the Iraq war?

If a Gold Coast doctor from India can be held for 2 weeks without charge (but was questioned for less than 24 hours as per 'law'sanass) and was charged with assisting terrorists because he gave his second cousin his (useless in Australia) SIM card when he left the UK, surely someone must be held responsible for this heinous support for terrorists? Especially if the head of the AFP, Mick Keelty, said to the media that the doctor supported terrorists unintentionally? (at least in todays sunday Telegraph anyway, the QLD Sunday mail forgot to mention this pertinent fact)

I took a subject called Australian history a few years back, it was cool - except that it was only the history of since white men set foot here.. I think that leaves quite a glaring omission!

Does anyone know much history of Australia pre-1700's. Things I was interested in are: Population of Indeginous people over time and whether they ever had any wars between 'tribes' for lack of a better word.

Im really annoyed of how ignorant I am of such information - please help me out :hihi:

This forecast gotta be kidding tonight!

Tonight: Colder with varible winds. Inland: -4 Coast: 0

Possibley severe frosts and frigid weather conditions inland.

I'm in Northern Rivers where Ballina and Lismore in NSW. We had massive frosts this morning and the temperature has dropped -3! Coldest winters in years!:hihi:

Jay-qu

I took a subject called Australian history a few years back' date=' it was cool - except that it was only the history of since white men set foot here.. I think that leaves quite a glaring omission!

Does anyone know much history of Australia pre-1700's. Things I was interested in are: Population of Indeginous people over time and whether they ever had any wars between 'tribes' for lack of a better word.

I'm really annoyed of how ignorant I am of such information - please help me out [/Quote']

I was looking around for you and found this pretty cool site. but it's not as old as what your looking for, I think Michaelangelica will like it. I'm still looking for the older stuff though.

Peter Dunn

where can I buy a life? :)

Here is some good references. :) I just took a quick look but there doesn't seem to be allot on pre 1700 still looking.

Australian History: Selected Websites

Australian History: Selected Websites

Timelines and chronologies of relevance

to Aboriginal and Islander peoples.

A Chronology of Aboriginal History

Aboriginal Australian links

Aboriginal Australian links - Internet links

DNA traces Aboriginal Australian history

aboriginal history

This forecast gotta be kidding tonight!

I'm in Northern Rivers where Ballina and Lismore in NSW. We had massive frosts this morning and the temperature has dropped -3! Coldest winters in years!:)

Stupid bloody forecasters got this wrong!!!!!! Grrrrrr!!!! It was 4 degrees last night and inland was 2 degrees.........lame weather idiots.

thanks Dough, suprisingly few Ozzies know much about aboriginies. In my day history at school was just European history.

Now about a beautiful, pristine, underpopulated, quiet, little,-Mediterranean Climate- island about the size of England. Untouched for 100,000 years ( almost) Gunns are a problem in the state .

Tasmania's devastating logging practices exposed

Ever wanted to see the devastating impact that logging is having on the Tasmanian landscape?

It is now possible to see the huge scale on which Tasmania’s forests are being destroyed.

Each year in Tasmania, approximately 15,000 hectares of native forest are destroyed. The magnitude of this is hard to grasp but the following overlays for Google Earth now make it possible.

A total of 155 areas, totalling 57 square kilometres, of native forest will be permanently cleared of forest and converted to plantations in this year. This landclearing is devastating our biodiversity and water catchments.

Download Google Earth Overlay: Tasmanian logging coupes | Gunns' woodchip mills

Quick start: Download either or both (.kzm) files to your computer. Double-click them and it should automatically launch Google Earth. Need more help?

Quick tips:

• Double click on overlay icons . A pop up will give you more info. To see overlay map (from Forestry Tasmania), choose 'Download Google Earth overlay map'

• To automatically zoom into an area click on coupe border. You may need to get closer first.

• Special feature: After launching Gunns' woodchip mill overlay, click on a mill and from the pop-up choose 'See Japanese Paper Mills'.

Google Earth is a free program which enables you to view satellite images of any location in the world using your internet connection. By downloading these overlays into Google Earth, you can see all of the planned logging in Tasmania’s public native forests for the 2006-2007 year. However, selective logging and contingency coupes are not yet included.

Gunns' woodchip mill at Bell Bay

Once you have downloaded the overlays, you will see each planned logging coupe. As you zoom in you will see, in addition to the placemark circles, the outline of each coupe. Clicking in the placemarks will reveal further information about each logging operation.

Coupes with an orange border will be clearfelled and then replaced with tree plantations. Areas with a pink border will be clearfelled, allowed to regrow to native forest, and then placed on a logging rotation. Yellow areas are other types of logging, such as aggregated retention or clump clearfelling, but not including selective logging. Areas with green borders are reserves - these boundaries are still being worked on. Reserves are, at this stage, only included if logging is occurring close by.

By tilting the camera angle, Google Earth allows you to see Tasmania from many different angles

To find out what much of this wood is destined for, you can also download overlays showing the locations of Gunns Ltd’s Tasmanian woodchip mills. Zooming in to these locations will show you piles of woodchipped forest awaiting export. Clicking on the placemark circle will reveal further information, including a link to the Japanese paper mills which process most of these woodchips. Clicking on this link will take you on a virtual flight to Japan, to see Tasmania’s forests piled high on Japanese wharves.

These overlays have been created by the Otway Ranges Environment Network (OREN).

For more information, please contact:

Paul Oosting

Pulp Mill Campaigner

Email Paul Oosting

Workphone: (03) 63 31 74 88

Mobile: 0409 963 734

Created: 30 Nov 2006 | Last updated: 30 Nov 2006

The Wilderness Society - Tasmania's devastating logging practices exposed

Here in the US we have to go to the Alternative Press

So please, what's all this about the Women Want Party[/url]?

I want to start a chapter here...

Buffy

Don't know Buffy

My daughter is in Tas., I will ask her

Women can't do any worse than the males have done so far.

All-women party launched today

By Jessica Marszalek

June 28, 2007 12:25pm

* What Women Want will focus on "what women need"

* Maternity leave, child care highlighted

* Audio: Party founder "prepared for backlash"

A NEWLY launched all-women political party will inject more "reality'' into federal politics, its founder said today.

Launching the What Women Want Australia Party in Brisbane today, Justine Caines said women needed better representation and were sick of being paid lip service on key issues.

All-women party launched today | NEWS.com.au

"We are seeing our policy makers saying that they want greater participation from women and yet it is seemingly only on their terms because talk to any woman about doing the juggle and it's bloody hard and it doesn't need to be that hard,'' she said.

"If our participation is truly valued then where is the support?''

One woman will run for the party in the Senate in each state and territory, and a handful of women will run in key marginal House of Representative seats.

Formed in April, the party has about 650 members, including some men who are "supporting their wives", and is seeking registration with the Australian Electoral Commission.

All-women party launched today | Mercury - The Voice of Tasmania
We are not interested in dividing the community, rather uniting it, through family and placing family at the front of society's needs. We see men and women as sharing responsibility, for the family and society, together, equal.

We see women's needs as being ignored to a large degree and object strongly to males, such as our Health Minister, introducing his religious convictions into our lives.

Much of what is missing in Australian politics is a commitment to the people and their needs. Quick fix, float a divisive and diversionary policy and check the polls to see if that policy is worth a vote or two. If it doesn't, forget it. That's what we have today. In reality measures are little more than band-aid remedies.

Our current Prime Minister's declaration of 'emergency' in the Northern Territory is a perfect example. In the last seven years working as a volunteer in the community sector I have encountered many individuals and groups working with Indigenous Australians and some fantastic Indigenous people demanding self determination. Any form of child abuse and neglect is deplorable, but denial of cause is reprehensible.

What do women want? - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

What Women Want launch - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Originally Posted by Buffy

Here in the US we have to go to the Alternative Press

So please' date=' what's all this about the Women Want Party[/url']?

I want to start a chapter here...

Buffy[/Quote]

You have my vote Buffy, I just know that a woman could clean up the "House, Senate, Congress, Hell I'm on the bandwagon "Buffy for President"

like I said you got my vote. :rolleyes2: