Science Forums

Kangaroos in California

kangaroo tastes like really lean beef there is no fat. It mostly tastes like mild beef

However you have to eat it the way French eat beef "pink" or rare (blue is not necessary). Some who like eating Charcoal Burnt Beef find this hard- but not in our family.

Best to order it "pink" if you are wary of 'undercooked' meat or 'as the chef suggests' otherwise. It is my favourite meat- apart from Peking Duck- if I eat out.

Because it is so lean it is as "Tough as Old Harry" (oz idiom) if overcooked.

A cannibal aquantace told me (well, actually, my wife) that human flesh tasted like mild lamb. (He is now an MP in PNG Parliament).

Sounds delicious:)

Seriously the bug in the Kangaroos gut that stops methane production is being intensively studied.

If it could be made to work in cows and other ruminants this would lead to a HUGE drop in GHGs

How interconnected we all are on this planet.

Hmmm, your wife is a cannibal? Care to elaborate on that?

A cannibal aquantace told me (well, actually, my wife) that human flesh tasted...

Hmmm, your wife is a cannibal? Care to elaborate on that?

;)

I read that the same way at first look - stopped me in my tracks. Took me a couple seconds to realize the cannibal told his wife rather than him. :oops:

~modest

lol LOL

You guys are silly

Roo is best eaten rare or pink- be guided by the chef tell him you are used to eating rare steak. So many Aussies arn't. A big French? education programme is needed.

As for people I don't know.

But isn't there a song that says "Eating people is wrong"?

Bless the web here it is. It is best sung.

The Reluctant Cannibal

Flanders: A song which we call, "The Reluctant Cannibal":

Seated one day at the tom-tom,

I heard a welcome shout from the kitchen:

"COME AND GEEEEEEEEEEET IT!"

Roast leg of insurance salesman!

A chorus of "yum"s ran round the table:

(Yum yum yum yum yum yum yum...)

Except for Junior, who pushed away his shell,

Got up from his log, and said:

Swann: "I don't want any part of it!"

Flanders: What? Why not?

Swann: I don't eat people.

Flanders: Hey?

Swann: I won't eat people.

Flanders: Huh?

Flanders: I must be going deaf!

Swann: Eating people is wrong.

Flanders: It's wrong?

Swann: Don't eat people.

Flanders: Have you gone clean out of your mind?

Flanders: What's the matter with the lad?

Flanders: He keeps on repeating.

Both: Eating people is bad.

Flanders: But people have always eaten people,

What else is there to eat?

If the Juju had meant us not to eat people,

He wouldn't have made us of meat!

Flanders: Oh no, not again.

Flanders: All the day long.

Both: Don't eat people.

Flanders: He keeps on repeating.

Both: Eating people is wrong.

Flanders: Well... I... I never heard a more ridiculous idea in all my born days. To think that a son of mine should grow up to be a sissy - me, chief assistant to the assistant chief! I suppose you realise, son, if this was to get around, we might never get self-Government.

Swann: I won't eat people!

Flanders: Have you been talking to one of your mothers again? You're not getting to be one of these cranks who think that eating people is cruel, are you? Seeing the man sitting in the pot and you think he's suffering. Oh, it's not like that at all. Why, he's just had an invigourating chase through the forest, sitting there in the nice warm water with all the carrots and dumplings and things, he's thinking, "Oh, the pleasure and happiness I'm going to give to a heap of people". That man in the pot there, he enjoys it!

Swann: Eating people is wrong!

Flanders: Look son, son, I admire your sincerity. Always be sincere... whether you mean it or not. But you're young, you're young, when you're young you think you can change the whole world overnight, even eating people - I know, I've been young myself. Take it from your old Dad, you've just got to learnt to take the world as it is.

Swann: I won't let another man pass my lips!

Flanders: I know why you say "Don't eat people", because you are a coward, Francis, that's your trouble. Yes, a yellow-livered coward. You wouldn't mind eating people if you weren't afraid of ending up in the pot yourself - how despicable! If you go on like this you're liable to get ME into hot water.

Flanders: That's enough!

Flanders: I don't want to...

Swann: Eating people is wrong!

Flanders: Communist!

Flanders: Going around saying "Don't eat people",

That's the way to make people hate'ya.

We always have eaten people, always will eat people,

You can't change human nature.

Flanders: Now let's try...

Swann: I won't eat people,

I don't eat people,

I won't eat people,

I don't eat people!

Flanders: Must have been someone he ate!

Swann: Eating people is out!

Flanders: I give up, I give up, you used to be a regular anthrophagi. If this crazy idealistic idea of yours was to catch on, I just dunno where we would all be. Just about ruin our entire internal economy. Fortunately, I suppose it's catching on isn't really very likely - why, you might just as well going around saying "Don't fight people", for example...

Swann: Don't fight people? Ha, ha! Don't fight people?! Ha ha ha!

Flanders: There, imagine? There, you see! All part of the same...

Both: (laughing) ... fantastical impossibility!

Flanders: That's the boy!

Both: RIDICULOUS

At the Drop of a Hat Lyrics - 09 - The Reluctant Cannibal

I NEED to find a spot on Care2 to post this now so go away! :oops:

• 2 months later...

Well your wrong about kangaroo meat coming from a farmed animal. They are in fact taken from the wild. I live in Queensland and know kangaroo shooters. They are a wild lot without regulation. Whilst I agree farming kangaroo meat rather than traditional cattle and sheep would be less invasive to the environment and better for human health it is not happenning. The reality is they are taken from the wild. As for the kangaroo being in plague proportions, I would say it is the domestic animal and the human which is in plague proportions in this country of mostly desert with a thin strip of good land along the eastern seaboard which is completely overdeveloped from north to south. This is a country that cannot sustain a large human population without drastic changes to our way of life and consumption. I'm with Steve Irwin on this one.

Well your wrong about kangaroo meat coming from a farmed animal. They are in fact taken from the wild. I live in Queensland and know kangaroo shooters. They are a wild lot without regulation.

Slight correction required there. Oz has been 'farmed' for near 60'000 years. Some extracts from Kangaroo: designed for our times - On Line Opinion - 13/6/2008 -

...the red meat of choice among Australian consumers for some 40,000(+) years. It’s only in the last 100 years or so that’s there’s been a bit of a hiccup in its marketing program and the kangaroo industry is attempting to turn this around.

...The kangaroo industry currently generates in excess of $200 million a year in income and employs more than 4,000 people. The vast bulk of these jobs are in remote rural communities...

...It is a tightly regulated industry. Kangaroo harvesters for example have to complete a TAFE course and pass assessment by two different government authorities before they can get a licence. No other meat industry in the country requires its “slaughtermen” to be that well trained. This delivers an extremely high level of professionalism, with many commentators claiming that kangaroo is probably the most animal welfare-friendly meat available. As the RSPCA has said, “An animal killed instantly within its own environment is under less stress than domestic stock that have been herded, penned, transported etc.”

The kangaroo industry delivers one of the most amazing foods in the world. Kangaroo meat is extremely low in fat and half of this fat is poly-unsaturated. But better still it’s also very high in a compound called conjugated linoleic acid which, among other things, actively reduces blood pressure! Kangaroo meat also has a pleasant and slightly addictive flavour

So the kangaroo industry turns a shameful waste into a valuable food, which can help reduce blood pressure, which is possibly the most animal welfare friendly protein available, which is also possibly the closest thing we can get to a carbon neutral meat (a food for the AGW crew)… and which tastes great. Whoever designed this product deserves a pat on the back!

(sections bolded by me, and comments in brackets by me)

And some info from the 'current' Roo industry -

Kangaroo Industry Assocn of Australia - Background Info

Contrast above with this hysteria at this USA web site

Global Warming Threatens Australia's Iconic Kangaroos

Environment (tags: climate, climate-change, environment, globalwarming, kangaroos, vegetation, habitat, nature, habitatdestruction, endangered )

Ingrid

- 5 days ago - terradaily.com

Although kangaroo species may be mobile enough to relocate as the climate changes, the vegetation and topography for which they are adapted are unlikely to shift at the same pace.

add a comment | visit site | problem?

Kangaroo Could Face Extinction

Animals (tags: kangaroos, study, habitat destruction, slaughtered, disappearing, extinction )

Simone

- 8 days ago - iar.org.uk

An increase in average global temperatures of only two degrees Celsius will have a devastating impact on kangaroo populations, a new study has disclosed. The investigation, conducted by scientists at James Cook University, suggests that the iconic

Is Kangaroo Really a More Sustainable Choice?

Environment (tags: food, conservation, climate-change )

Kangaroo Meat Could Be Off the Menu for Australians

Animals (tags: australia, wildlife, wild animals, kangaroos, off menue, kangaroo meat, climate chhange, endangered, extinction, humans, protection )

Jacquelin

- 9 days ago - telegraph.co.uk

Australians were getting used to putting their national emblem on the barbecue and eating it, but a report has suggested that kangaroo meat could soon be off the menu for good. Scientists have warned that climate change could devastate Australia's kangaro

Care2 News Network: Search Results