Science Forums

Wildlife Tracks

Cedars

This was my first encounter with an insect as it left the tracks. I have seen these tracks before but this was the first time I saw the insect making them. I wonder if the reason I was able to capture it in action is due to it being after our killing frosts; the weather in the days before this was very cool and it was wednesday and thursday (pic taken Oct 4) which were very warm and allowed the insects to move about so.

First picture is of the tracks. Around 150 feet or so further south on this trail is where I came upon the first insect. Another 100 - 200 feet further I found a second, more active specimen. I did not know of their habit of secreting irritating oils or I wouldnt have been handling it as I did. Lucky for me I was gentle enough (or the bug was too impacted by cold weather to react), I did not suffer blistering, nor did I notice any secretions going on while rolling this guy around trying to get a photo of its underside. :)

As I searched around the web I came across a cornell link (which required subscription) linking this beetle to the White-breasted Nuthatch. Unable to log in, yet undeterred to find out what the link could be, I found this article from 1971:

"Use of blister beetle in bill-sweeping by White-breasted Nuthatch.--I described in a previous communication(A uk, 85: 477, 1968) how White-breasted Nuthatches (Sitta carolinensis) sweep the bark in the vicinity of their nestholes while holding insects in their bills.

My final hypothesis was that tree squirrels are the chief competitors for the natural cavities these nuthatches use for nesting, and that the bill-sweeping may serve to deter or deflect squirrels by spreading repellent or other substances present in the bodies of the crushed insects."

Full article here: http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/Auk/v088n01/p0175-p0176.pdf

The people at bugguide.net ID'd it as this:

Suborder Polyphaga - Water, Rove, Scarab, Longhorn, Leaf and Snout Beetles

Superfamily Tenebrionoidea - Fungus, Bark, Darkling and Blister Beetles

Family Meloidae - Blister Beetles

Genus Meloe - Oil Beetles

The larvae seem to feed on bee nest contents and/or grasshopper eggs. There are many types of bees in the sands of the Meadows, as well as large numbers of a variety of grasshoppers. It seems the adult form is a vegetarian, from what I have read. This particular type is also a flightless beetle.

This was my first encounter with an insect as it left the tracks. I have seen these tracks before but this was the first time I saw the insect making them. I wonder if the reason I was able to capture it in action is due to it being after our killing frosts; the weather in the days before this was very cool and it was wednesday and thursday (pic taken Oct 4) which were very warm and allowed the insects to move about so.

I recognize those tracks well, and like you, it took me a while to figure out who made them. Our most common darking beetle (genus Elodes)is often called a "stink beetle" or "pinacate beetle' It is slow moving and easy to catch, but like your blister beetle, defends itself by producing a fowl smelling liquid. It usually warns you by standing on its head first though.

I recognize those tracks well, and like you, it took me a while to figure out who made them. Our most common darking beetle (genus Elodes)is often called a "stink beetle" or "pinacate beetle' It is slow moving and easy to catch, but like your blister beetle, defends itself by producing a fowl smelling liquid. It usually warns you by standing on its head first though.

I will have to watch for the head standing when messing with critters unknown. Nice bit of trivia to have BEFORE a stink beetle encounter!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been on the prowl for an owl hit in the snow but havent been successful yet.

But I came across some tracks in an area I pretty much leave alone that has become a pretty big bed of snap dragon type flowers. I cant remember the weed name (and yes its classes as a weed) and I seriously thought about pulling them this summer.

The first pic is a closeup of where the birds scavenged the seeds from the weeds. The tracks themselves didnt turn out as well as I hoped but the picture shows the feasting that occured.

The second pic is around half of the area feasted in; to show the wider view of how much activity went on at the edge of this area.

I am pretty sure its the American Tree Sparrow that hit this plant area, but it could have been a mix of them and Dark-eyed Junco, because both these birds will do this seed clearing and I have lots of both kinds in the yard now.