Science Forums

People will click on anything...

This one is unfortunately not hard to believe...hundreds of people click on an ad that says "click here to get infected."

People will click on anything.

ADVERTISEMENT That was evidenced by the 409 people who clicked on an ad that offers infection for those with virus-free PCs. The ad, run by a person who identifies himself as security professional Didier Stevens, reads like this:

Drive-By Download

Is your PC virus-free?

Get it infected here!

drive-by-download.info

...Stevens says that he designed his ad to make it look fishy, but he had no problem getting Google to accept it and has had no complaints to date. And, although a healthy amount of people clicked on it, he said there's "no way to know what motivated them to click on my ad. I did not submit them to an IQ-test."

Stevens said he's sure he could get much more traffic if he invested more in his Google Adwords budget and came up with a better designed ad.

There's *so* much competition for the Darwin Award....

Free stuff!

Buffy

I would be interested in seeing comparative statistics for ads that say:

Drive-By Download

Is your PC infected?

Get virus-free here!

drive-by-download.info

People must be desensitized to advertising to the point of clicking for the sake of curiosity when something new comes along.

I would click the banner just to test my system's defenses.

Oso

• 2 weeks later...
I would be interested in seeing comparative statistics for ads that say:

Drive-By Download

Is your PC infected?

Get virus-free here!

drive-by-download.info

People must be desensitized to advertising to the point of clicking for the sake of curiosity when something new comes along.

I would click the banner just to test my system's defenses.

Oso

Why'd you jump to that conclusion? I've become so desensitised to advertisements that I rarely notice their existence, let alone click on them. While I've always thought the same applied for most people, first-hand evidence (read: immediate family members) suggests that what you say has merit. I wonder about some people.. :confused:

Lots of people I help with their systems have very strange surfing habits. This usually results in their system's stability failing. Fortunately I have installed and recommend the ad blocker plus add-on to Firefox so all the annoying ads and flash banner temptations are removed before they cause any trouble! :phones:

• 2 weeks later...

lol just yesterday one of the guys i work with is like: "i got a friend invite from myspace that didnt have anything in the body, just said check out my pictures here and linked to a website. so i clicked on it and now i have a box that pops up on my pc saying that the computer is infected and i have to buy this software to get rid of it"

so i told him that he fell for the oldest trick in the book, and had to fix his laptop today... :)