Science Forums

We need a trillion more indoor plants.

where will it come from? simple. get some glass and tubing and setup your own sun still, and distill your piss. did we learn nothing from Water World? B)

but i think it could work well....we pee a lot, and the bigger the family the greener the grass. just watch out for Nitrogen burn...maybe the still will help take a bunch out?

where will it come from? simple. get some glass and tubing and setup your own sun still, and distill your piss. did we learn nothing from Water World? B)

but i think it could work well....we pee a lot, and the bigger the family the greener the grass. just watch out for Nitrogen burn...maybe the still will help take a bunch out?

I just killed a clump of bamboo

What does that say about my excretions? :)

• 1 month later...

the picture in my head, of you, is a red faced aussie santa (see avatar, wearing a large green glow in the dark condom. not what i was aiming for when logging on :D

on a more related note. i have been growing various things here and there....and i have found that Piper betel (betel leaf, used in betel nut chew) grows fairly well in low light. i have a vine growing in my fish filter getting whatever scraps of light the aquarium lights leek through the tops/sides.

plants in fish filters are a match made in heaven.

the picture in my head, of you, is a red faced aussie santa (see avatar, wearing a large green glow in the dark condom. not what i was aiming for when logging on :friday:

GOD

Please be more sensitive!

I think in pictures, and still have goose bumps at that shocking image!

on a more related note. i have been growing various things here and there....and i have found that Piper betel (betel leaf, used in betel nut chew) grows fairly well in low light. i have a vine growing in my fish filter getting whatever scraps of light the aquarium lights leek through the tops/sides.

Probably banned here as a narcotic; but I'll look out for it.

plants in fish filters are a match made in heaven.

What is that pls?

i am talking about growing plants in your fish aquarium filter. the 2 HUGE advantages are they take not floor space as they are in your fish tank...and you never need to water them (thats good for all the black thumbs out there)

the plants i have found to work well in fish tanks are: philidendrons, pothos, ficus (can be tricky at times), african violets, betel leaf, money trees, lucky "bamboo" (other dracaenas will probably work well too) and am trying a few new ones.

the thing is plants do take IN oxygen through the roots, which one at first might think is bad. and i would say its bad to grow land plants in an aquarium as only the roots are in the water. but oxygen mostly gets put into the fish tank through surface disturbance, which means water leaving the filter. so the plants would only take it out *before* the water falls to the tank and puts more O2 in there. thats just assuming the plants even take enough out to matter, which they likely wouldn't.

2 considerations. light is a big issue. they will grow towards it and may shade your fish, no biggy unless you care about the looks of the tank or the plants in the tank.

also they should be able to handle their roots being wet all the time (ie root rot prone plants are bad).

i would estimate i have an additional couple square meters of leaf area inside my house jsut from a single 20gallon tank. i am now trying to get our 90gallon tank setup, but there is less light so more problems.

but think about it. no extra work (self watered and fertilized from fish piss/poo), and more clean are and green stuff in the house....without sacrificing valuable floor footage. i also assume it helps get rid of some of the nitrates/ites in the water...but am not sure on that one...seems logical...?

suggestions for plants

-low light requirements

-water tolerance

-branched/bushy/vine as to not get a large single stem that will likely fall over and kill your filter/tank (use common sense)

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have a wide spectrum light over the tank?

On the vexed problem of Christmas trees

Greening Your Christmas Tree

posted by Melissa Breyer Nov 30, 2008 12:00 pm

Although I know that Christmas trees are farmed like any other harvested plant, it still makes me sad to think of those noble little guys whacked down for my temporary pleasure. But my humble homemade feather tree is starting to molt—and I wonder if it’s time to join the 29 million American households who will buy a fresh cut tree this year? Or should I opt for an artificial tree? How about a living tree that will take a Christmas miracle of its own to actually end up planted in my garden? To forego a tree altogether is way too bah-humbug for me, so what is the greenest Christmas tree option?

Fresh Cut Trees.

. .

Artificial Trees

. . .

Live Trees

. . .

Alternative Trees

It was a puppy-shredded down pillow that inspired the crafting of my feather tree

Greening Your Christmas Tree | Healthy and Green Living

i think its been mentioned before, but live trees in balls are easily transplanted after christmas...

or just make the switch to a ficus christmas tree, pines are over rated anyway.

as for lighting most plants mainly use chlorophyl a and b, which use the blue end and red end. so have a bulb of 2700K and one at 6000-6500 is a good idea B) just avoid those 4000-5200k things.

and for more plants. how many of us have windowsills? work, home whatever. there are a number of hard to kill plants that do ok on window sills for years. cactus, aloe's, african violets they all seem to take the varying cold/hot bright/dim and forgetfulness of the owner to water really well! i used to have a small morning glory growing in a coke bottle in my cars cup holder, but it got a little big and annoying so out it went.

plants can grow almost anywhere, trick is getting them there with little effort. once they pass the lazy test, its approved for the masses :doh:

• 4 weeks later...

Another study on the benefits of plants in hospitals.

This one mentions the positive effect of plant-patient interaction which is new.

Patients with plants in their rooms had significantly fewer intakes of pain medication, more positive physiological responses (lower blood pressure and heart rate), less pain, anxiety, and fatigue, and better overall positive and higher satisfaction with their recovery rooms than their counterparts in the control group without plants in their rooms.

An interesting note to this study—the majority of patients who had plants in their rooms reported that the plants were the most positive qualities of their rooms (93%), whereas patients without plants in their rooms said that watching television was the most favourable aspect of their rooms (91%).

The study suggests that potted plants offer the most benefit, as opposed to cut flowers, because of their longevity

. Nursing staff reported that as patients recovered, they began to show interaction with the plants, including watering, pruning, and moving them for a better view or light.

A number of studies have also shown that indoor plants make air healthier and provide an optimum indoor environment by increasing humidity, and reducing the quantity of mould spores and airborne germs.

This nonpharmacological approach to recovery is good news for patients, doctors, and insurers alike in terms of cost effectiveness and medical benefits.

The study provides strong evidence that contact with plants is directly beneficial to patients' health, providing meaningful therapeutic contact for patients recovering from painful surgery.

Article: Seong-Hyun Park and Richard H. Mattson, 'Effects of Flowering and Foliage Plants in Hospital Rooms on Patients Recovering from Abdominal Surgery', HortTechnology 18: 549-745 (2008)

Do Plants Speed Up Recovery In Hospitals?

• 4 weeks later...

How about this cute, inventive idea? :lol:

Living Moss Carpet Adds a Touch of Green to Your Bathroom

by Evelyn Lee

There’s nothing like the feeling of fresh cut grass under the toes, especially when stepping out of the shower. This Moss Carpet by Nguyen La Chanh brings the outside indoors in an unconventionally natural way by placing it underfoot. The lush green lawn thrives in humid environments, which makes your bathroom a perfect place to grow.

More pics and info here

Inhabitat Living Moss Carpet Adds a Touch of Green to Your Bathroom

Moss mats in the bathroom. Not for me but remember a lot of mosses carry antibiotic properties and were use in wars of old as the only healing available. Our bathroom is a home to orchids retrieved from supermarkets after they have dropped their flowers for a small % of there value. Its only 50 F. in there at the moment but some are still in bloom.

Also a couple of airplants.

My office is the home for fuchsia seedlings from my work on producing pest and disease resistant fuchsias

i think its been mentioned before, but live trees in balls are easily transplanted after christmas...

Sounds painful

as for lighting most plants mainly use chlorophyl a and b, which use the blue end and red end. so have a bulb of 2700K and one at 6000-6500 is a good idea :lol: just avoid those 4000-5200k things.

Anything low energy, that would fit into a standard light socket?

A Moss/Tinea cure Flapjack?

Moss is going to require quite a bit more light than a low energy light bulb. I've grown moss and it cannot grow indoors under normal ambient light conditions. The light conditions necessary to grow moss would require much more light than is available in most houses at floor level. If a window was positioned in way so that direct sunlight fell on it for a couple hours a day it might grow but to grow faster than a human walking on it would damage it would require far more light than is available in most if not all houses.

that mat is neat, but i can't see it lasting more than a month lol.

low light? LED and Fluorescent are both great, and have good light per watt. the amount of light you will need will depend entirely on the plant your growing :)

Moss is going to require quite a bit more light than a low energy light bulb. I've grown moss and it cannot grow indoors under normal ambient light conditions. The light conditions necessary to grow moss would require much more light than is available in most houses at floor level. If a window was positioned in way so that direct sunlight fell on it for a couple hours a day it might grow but to grow faster than a human walking on it would damage it would require far more light than is available in most if not all houses.

great points! i used to grow it in my frog enclosures and the amount of light i needed was disgusting.....pretty, yes....environmentally friendly, no way!