Science Forums

Space rock impact site(s)

Turtle

Nothing new to report, so how about some chatter on the craters members? :eek:

Have we hit the nails on the heads? :cheer:

There are no nails? :magic:

Alien landing sites? ;)

Went looking yourself? :clue: :read:

Hit ourselves in the heads with the hammers? :)

Other?

:cup: ;)

Guest chendoh

I imagine I belong in this group.....

Went looking yourself? :hyper: :D

In the attached pic from Google Earth, which is centered on:

12.09956817651992 N

151.2243798893695 E

I came across what looks like, at least three sequential impact sites, (possibly from a broken up meteor or asteroid)

running in a NW to SE direction; large hatch area.

With a smaller area to the north and west.

I imagine I belong in this group.....

In the attached pic from Google Earth, which is centered on:

12.09956817651992 N

151.2243798893695 E

I came across what looks like, at least three sequential impact sites, (possibly from a broken up meteor or asteroid)

running in a NW to SE direction; large hatch area.

With a smaller area to the north and west.

Way to look for and find circular structures with Google Earth Chendoh! :) Will look around for any existing geologic data and check other maps. :)

Guest chendoh
Way to look for and find circular structures with Google Earth Chendoh! :cup: Will look around for any existing geologic data and check other maps. :)
Thank You, Turtle.

I just let GE cruise on its own, when my orbit slewed in this SE direction, what an experience!:doh: , As I watched the largest circular object come over the horizon, followed by the other two successively smaller objects!........

Now, I know I've seen that before! Somewhere..........:)

With these objects ( I hesitate to call them impact sites for now ) being several miles under the south pacific ocean, I'm not sure if anyone knows about them, to have compiled any research.

Hey! maybe I'm the first, and can get to name them!......

Nawww, If google sees them, somebody like the navy

or woodshole surely knows about them.:hyper:

Guest chendoh

According to NOAA, chendoh's sea floor area of the ocean floor is 180 million years old.

Impact site?

Unusual sea floor geology (GPS): 32 S, 33 W

Reference:

http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/image/crustageposter.gif

Then that would place 12n, 151w in the age of pangea.

I notice the pinacles surrounding 32, 33 like at 12, 151.

Your object to the west looks to have, a central peak.

But its hard to tell with all the subduction zones in the area.

That's another interesting twist.

Does anyone else see the arm & hand at 12, 151?

Will post my answer tomorrow, same time, same channel......:rainumbrella:

Guest chendoh
That's another interesting twist.

Does anyone else see the arm & hand at 12, 151?

Will post my answer tomorrow, same time, same channel......:huh:

As promised....

The added hatch area.

To me, it resembles an arm with a thumb; over a closed fist.

You can almost see the thumbnail.... :eek2:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Stop the presses!!! Breaking News!!! I just found the Big Momma! Here are two map shots, one from NASA's World Wind map, and the other from Google Earth. I circled the Big Momma in red on the NASA map; it is 135 kilometers across! On the Google Earth map, you can see where I marked my first find that started this thread.

So, if these are meteor impact craters then we had quite a barrage rather than a single big piece perhaps? Any body found anything on the geology/rock types of the area? If these are volcanic craters we should find ash, and if impact craters we should find tectites.

On we go then! :tree: :o

No word back from USGS on Crater del Tortuga Jorge that I reported at location 27º 55' 44.9" N 107º 02' 56.96" W. However, i watched a show* on one of the cable science outlets and it focussed on new evidence that the irridium layer attribute to the Chicxulub impact is actually from a large impact 300,000 years later. My impact perhaps? Did Tortuga Jorge kill the dinosaurs and live to tell about it? :turtle: :shrug:

*i'll look for the program info.

I think you've got something there, my friend. Excellent work!

thanks! he's a peach i tell ya...a peach!!

by the by, i can't tell if i have correctly figured out how to mark it for GoogleEarth Community or not. i used the little i mark on my map, but i don't know if that's sufficient. i joined the Community, but apparently have too few posts to start a thread; not sure if that's required to get a mark on the map everyone sees or not. :P

so, NLN, or any of you with Google Earth, can you go to the coordinates and see if the crater is marked Crater del Tortuga Jorge?? thanks. keep looking down. :)

27º 55' 44.9" N

107º 02' 56.96" W

Hello, Turtle.

I found nothing on Google Earth

so' date=' NLN, or any of you with Google Earth, can you go to the coordinates and see if the crater is marked Crater del Tortuga Jorge?? thanks. keep looking down.

27º 55' 44.9" N

107º 02' 56.96" W[/Quote']

I have a Question the center of the big crater the coordinates listed earlier in this thread were 28.3142056, -107.91696389 and the coordinates you just asked to look at, are south of and a Little east of said big Crater??

Did I miss the rotation of the earth (I know it's a time zone thingy)

ether way no ID Crater del Tortuga Jorge :rolleyes:

Hello, Turtle.

I found nothing on Google Earth

I have a Question the center of the big crater the coordinates listed earlier in this thread were 28.3142056, -107.91696389 and the coordinates you just asked to look at, are south of and a Little east of said big Crater??

Did I miss the rotation of the earth (I know it's a time zone thingy)

ether way no ID Crater del Tortuga Jorge :D

roger no mark; i'll lurk around GoogleEarth Community a bit more & get it figured out. :piratesword:

The first listing is the first one I found; it's a smaller crater about 8 miles across. The second set of coordinates are for my later find of the 80 mile Crater del Tortuga Jorge. The first I stumbled on accidently, and then I started methodically examing the surrounding area. I'd say there are at least 6 or 7 craters around there. :fluffy:

It is starting to look to me like large collision events often have multiple strikes, i.e. the main mass either breaks apart while still in space because of close approach to Sun or Planets, or a single mass breaks up from the shock wave created when it hits the atmosphere. :eplane: :rolleyes:

Keep looking down...& up. :rainbow:

Here's some illustrative video of a meteor breaking up. >>

YouTube - meteorite fireball http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBVyNV_gphM

... i watched a show* on one of the cable science outlets and it focussed on new evidence that the irridium layer attribute to the Chicxulub impact is actually from a large impact 300,000 years later. :cup:

*i'll look for the program info.

Went looking for the program and no luck so far. Putting in search string "comet impact irridium 300,000 years" I did however stumble on a sweet source page for us.:turtle:

:clue: >> Asteroid and Comet Impact Craters and Mass Extinctions

• 2 weeks later...

I have e-mailed impact physicist Mark Barlough out of Sandia Labs and sent him my shiny new KML file for the Chiuhuahua Mexico formation to review. :ideamaybenot:It never hurts to ask. :turtle: I have also now mastered GoogleEarth community enough to submit my own new thread topic on 'Crater del Tortuga Jorge.' Here's the link >> Google Earth Community: Impact crater in Chihuahua Mexico

Clicking on the GoogleEarth or GoogleMaps icons in the post header bar activates the KML which starts your GoogleEarth and flies you to the location. I have also attached the KML to this post; double clicking activates it as above. For those of you without GE, here's the coordinates again. 27º 55' 44.9" N 107º 02' 56.96" W.

I can't find any central place to report suspected new finds, which makes us it. tag! :shrug: :ideamaybenot: