Science Forums

Dimethyl sulfoxide

Jay-qu

Yeah, "horse linament".Really strange stuff. Another interesting substance, which, while it "seems too good to be true", in my experiance DOES do what is claimed; Piperine, marketed under the name "Bioperine".Like DMSO, should be used with caution, and with an understanding of what it does, but is some neat stuff! For 12 hr. after ingestion, it shuts off the acid pumps in the stomach, for several days it prevent first pass metabolising by the liver.Result; you can take a much lower dose of medication, and get the full benefit.Oh, and for narcotic type pain killers, it SELECTIVELY blocks respiratory depression.Made the mistake of drinking coffee, while taking it; couldn't get to sleep that nite! Assume it was cause the caffiene wasn't metabolised. Anyway, might want to read up on it, its interesting.Jim

Can it be formed in nature? YES!! Thats where it comes from.(Must have been left in the other thread.) It is 'made' by algae. When water evaporates, it carries DMSO with it into rainclouds, rains on ground, absorbed by plants, which are eaten by animals, we eat both, (Unless we're vegetarians) .In either case, it is UBIQUITOUS; (Its everywhere) The stuff you can by, in 'pure' form is removed from wood, as part of making paper.Apperently they need to remove it.Anyway, it is some neat stuff.Jim

Boy, this forum is different than others I've been on. Threads can split and merge like stocks! Takes a little getting used to, but I came here to learn, and learning how the forum works is part of the fun! Jim

It is quite rare that a thread is split or merged. That both happened in the same week in this case is both exceedingly rare and entirely my fault for not recognizing a well-established thread on this topic was available. We do prefer to keep discussion on-topic which I find usual to most forums. Is there anything regarding dimethyl sulfoxide you were curious about?

~modest

Actually, my turn to apologise;I'm the 1 who brought it up.Sorry, newbie error.Wondering what adding a small amount of it to gasoline would do? I will be experimenting later, to find out.I know some have tried a SMALL amount of acetone, and some report favorable results.I don't have any idea what it will do, thats why I'm gonna experiment.Maybe it will make the gasoline break-down, maybe it will make it vaporise easier?Certainly, as with acetone, I'll have to be concerned with it dissolving fuel lines,gaskets, etc. Anything rubber or most plastics.But, it will be an interesting experiment. Any Chemists want to hazard a guess as to what, if anything, it will do to the gasoline?Also, what material available in thin sheets (gasket making material, or tubing (fuel line) could I use that WOULDN'T be dissolved by the DMSO?

Actually, my turn to apologise;I'm the 1 who brought it up.Sorry, newbie error.Wondering what adding a small amount of it to gasoline would do? I will be experimenting later, to find out.I know some have tried a SMALL amount of acetone, and some report favorable results.I don't have any idea what it will do, thats why I'm gonna experiment.Maybe it will make the gasoline break-down, maybe it will make it vaporise easier?Certainly, as with acetone, I'll have to be concerned with it dissolving fuel lines,gaskets, etc. Anything rubber or most plastics.But, it will be an interesting experiment. Any Chemists want to hazard a guess as to what, if anything, it will do to the gasoline?Also, what material available in thin sheets (gasket making material, or tubing (fuel line) could I use that WOULDN'T be dissolved by the DMSO?

Yes. adding DMSO to gasoline might cause an explosion, DMSO is an oxidizer. At the very least it would be dangerous to allow such a mixture to touch your skin. anything you dissolve in DMSO will be transfered directly to your blood stream if you allow it to touch your skin. When I worked in the lab at DuPont such solvents were only handled under a hood with protective garments. Think about what you are doing, you could be asking for big trouble. Acetone is dangerous to handle by it's self, mixing it with DMSO would be a nightmare.

Anything with a molecular weight below 1000, that is dissolved in the DMSO, will be carried right thru the skin and into your system.THC has a weight of 300+, oxycodone 400+, etc.Many vitamins, and supplements as well. I wasn't talking about or thinking of mixing acetone with it, that would be bad! I was saying SOME have mixed a SMALL amount of acetone with gasoline. Say, 10-20cc in a tank, and thought they saw an improvement in mileage.I was thinking of putting a SMALL amount of DMSO in some gasoline, say 10cc in a gallon, out in a field with no flamable structures etc. around, just to see what it would do.i.e would it float on top, or sink to the bottom, visually obviously not mixing, or would it mix right in.Further reading makes me think it would mix in. Next step might be to put some of this mixture in a lawnmower engine, to see if/how it effected performance. I would agree DMSO could be dangerous, if one doesn't understand its known properties, and treat it with proper respect.Mixing it with anything poisonous or carcenegenic, and then spilling it on your skin could be very serious!

Anything with a molecular weight below 1000, that is dissolved in the DMSO, will be carried right thru the skin and into your system.THC has a weight of 300+, oxycodone 400+, etc.Many vitamins, and supplements as well. I wasn't talking about or thinking of mixing acetone with it, that would be bad! I was saying SOME have mixed a SMALL amount of acetone with gasoline. Say, 10-20cc in a tank, and thought they saw an improvement in mileage.I was thinking of putting a SMALL amount of DMSO in some gasoline, say 10cc in a gallon, out in a field with no flamable structures etc. around, just to see what it would do.i.e would it float on top, or sink to the bottom, visually obviously not mixing, or would it mix right in.Further reading makes me think it would mix in. Next step might be to put some of this mixture in a lawnmower engine, to see if/how it effected performance. I would agree DMSO could be dangerous, if one doesn't understand its known properties, and treat it with proper respect.Mixing it with anything poisonous or carcenegenic, and then spilling it on your skin could be very serious!

I'm betting the emissions of the engine would be high in sulfur at the very least. I wonder what DMSO would do with THC.....

Wondering what adding a small amount of it to gasoline would do? I will be experimenting later, to find out.I know some have tried a SMALL amount of acetone, and some report favorable results.I don't have any idea what it will do, thats why I'm gonna experiment.

I like the experimental approach, let’s hope your car appreciates it as well :evil:

DMSO has a very similar molecular structure with acetone. Dr. Greg Davis, of the Mechanical Engineering Department at Kettering University tested the claim with his students:

To find out, we went to the Mechanical Engineering Department at Kettering University, in Flint. Dr. Greg Davis thought it would be good experience for his students to verify the claims about acetone in the department's test engine, a Buick 3.8 liter V-6 that is equipped with all kinds of probes and sensors.

For several weeks the students experimented with various strengths of acetone in gasoline. The findings were disappointing.

"Our current preliminary data suggests essentially no improvement running acetone in the fuel," Davis said.

While Dr. Greg has a spare Buick v-6 to test this, I wonder if it might be better for us less-funded folks to try something like this with a lawnmower engine [edit: I see you already had this idea in a subsequent post, very good call, we're thinking alike] that way you wouldn’t be voiding any warranties or damaging fuel lines or fittings in the family car.

Maybe it will make the gasoline break-down, maybe it will make it vaporise easier?Certainly, as with acetone, I'll have to be concerned with it dissolving fuel lines,gaskets, etc. Anything rubber or most plastics.

Yes, you should be concerned about damaging fuel lines and whatnot—good call. I wouldn't think DMSO would "break-down" the gasoline. It should have complete miscibility and simply exist as a solution in any liquid hydrocarbon.

What you might do, since it's winter here in the northern hemisphere, is mix a bit with some gasoline (at room temp) then put it in the fridge. I don't know if the DMSO would precipitate out as a solid or not, but with its high freezing point, it's very possible that it would, and that would be a very bad thing to happen in your car's fuel line.

~modest

"I wonder what DMSO would do with THC,..." Of coarse its only happenstance that I Googled THC, to find out the molecular weight. I should point out that if you were to soak a bud in it, and then strain it, any of the many other substances in the budd, with a molecular weight below 1000 would ALSO be in your solution.

I make it a policy NEVER to reside in an area where the temp gets below freesing, but your right, I forgot DMSO freeses at a high temp. Last winter I forgot that, and freaked out; I went to pour some from my 1 gal. jug, and it was solid. I think it was about 60 degrees F., although i didn'y measure it.And yes, its similar to acetone, but has many qualities acetone lacks.Yeah, probably would increase the sulpher content of the exhaust, unless the sulpher burned up in the combustion. I know diesel has sulpher exhaust, but may have to do with the formulation. After all, matches are sulfer and they burn?

I would agree DMSO could be dangerous, if one doesn't understand its known properties, and treat it with proper respect.Mixing it with anything poisonous or carcenegenic, and then spilling it on your skin could be very serious!

That's exactly why DMSO was in great favor for black ops assassinations during the Cold War era. It was mixed with some poison and casually brushed on the victim skin when passing in the street. Victim never know and by choosing the poison well, the reason for the eventual death, hours or days later could even be seen as "natural" causes.

Little off-topic, but it makes me think back to my younger days in an explosives factory lab. We worked with nitroglycerin, which is a vasodilator. Your first two weeks working with it, you suffer the most terrible headaches until you system has adapted, as both the vapor and liquid permeates the skin barrier rather quickly and dilate the blood vessels, dropping your BP. After that time you could get it on your skin and have no visible effect. People not accustomed however suffer the must excruciating headache within minutes, when casually touched with a NG moisten finger. For years we had great fun targeting annoying managers and nobody could figure out why only some people get a headache when visiting the lab. B)