Science Forums

Text-to-speech and speech-to-text

So how good is today's software for the aforementioned tasks? What's the best in the market? What about the one in OFFICE? I think it's still really bad. I'm waiting for one that can read malay text, or better still, voice recogniion in malay.

Is there a way to convert audio files to texts?

technically you can convert audio files to text, its not much different from translating regular speech to text, but the technology that we posess right now does a very bad job at the whole translating thing, you can program voice recognition programs for your own voice, but if your friend would try to use the software, it will bomb... there are some image text recongnition programs out there, some do a pretty decent job... http://www.soft411.com/software/optical-text-recognition.html

Most of the software I write has a GUI; not because I feel the need to amuse myself with a mouse when the command line will do just fine, but because the vast majority of the users who are not yet using Linux happen to rely soley upon point and clickety software. In the wonderful world of responsible software engineering, where there is a difference between shared objects and single points of failure, that makes little difference. In this world, the money to implement change often goes to the prettiest interface, as opposed to the most streamlined and maintainable code.

majority of software i write is either in PHP, and there's no real term GUI there, Python, this script i've been playing with is posted here (xrandsetroot rewritten in python), but i'm trying to add new features to it i got a new one i wanna add, but i dont have time for it, and there's no gui as you dont need one, people that use that script gotta be able to use command line, some projects are C++ based but not Visual C++, ugh that microsoft junk, no standards, the usual, i wrote code for creating a window in windows, you know that it takes about 170 lines of code to just get a window on a screen, waste of code, and thus speed of execution resources and all that, have done without a gui's most of the time, lets move on, Dark Basic, but those were games, QBasic, but that was a Gnome-like GUI for Windows, not an app with a gui front, although you can call it that, my encryption programs, but text is all that was needed, although a simple text-menu based interface made it look good. I tend not to write code for people who want shiny buttons and outlined text areas with scrollbars on the sides, i havent met any people that need that i guess...