Science Forums

Environmental Study Of Lechtenberg Park

Turtle

These two pics are much harder. I see you've called the first a california quail.

The second one has a few possiblities for sure.

I would suggest the Song Sparrow as a good starting point.

My first guess was fox sparrow, but the more I looked at it and pics, the more I lean towards the song sparrow above. The fox sparrow has noticable gray shades on it, where the Song sparrow doesnt. But the grays seem to vary by region according the the sibley guide to birds. MN birds have gray.... Not so sure about western birds.

All About Birds

Fox Sparrow

The speckled breast had me thinking Song Sparrow too. Here's one other still of it I grabbed. It looks like a bit of yellow on the face , but that may just be the lighting. I'll review the tape again too and see if there isn't a sharper still to grab from it.* :turtle: :turtle:

* No tripod! What a maroon! :)

The speckled breast had me thinking Song Sparrow too. Here's one other still of it I grabbed. It looks like a bit of yellow on the face , but that may just be the lighting. I'll review the tape again too and see if there isn't a sharper still to grab from it.* :) :turtle:

* No tripod! What a maroon! :D

Did you observe the yellow or noticed it because of the film? Did you notice if it had a white crown stripe?

A bird listed as a similar species is the Savannah sparrow, with descriptions describing that yellow patch.

Savannah Sparrow

Another description:

Savannah Sparrow

* Tripods can be a hassle to drag around. Get it set up and find the bird flew to the next group of trees :turtle:

Another flower/plant to ID from Lechtenberg >>>

ps I will add the positions of the bird sightings to the map shortly. The Camas is everywhere you look in the fields West & North of the park.

I'm not 100% about this, but I believe the understory plant growing around the skunk cabbage is Herb Robert (Geranium robertanium) which is a pretty nasty invasive in those parts. If you find it again, crush some leaves and check for a foul odor. The plants that recieve more sun (or are old and mature) usually have red towards the tips. If it is determined to be Herb Robert, then crush some more leaves for good measure. ;)

Did you observe the yellow or noticed it because of the film? Did you notice if it had a white crown stripe?

A bird listed as a similar species is the Savannah sparrow, with descriptions describing that yellow patch.

Savannah Sparrow

Another description:

Savannah Sparrow

* Tripods can be a hassle to drag around. Get it set up and find the bird flew to the next group of trees :shrug:

I observed it only on the tape. The bird was too far away for me to see clearly with my naked eye. Savannah Sparrow looks promising as the ID, and I'll try and re-check the original tape today.

Rather than mess with the setup of the tripod, I carry it with the camera mounted and legs extended but folded. This is little encumberance when I'm moving slowly in an effort to sneek up on my quarry. Then when I spot something, all I have to do is open the legs, set the tripod down, and start shooting.

I'm not 100% about this, but I believe the understory plant growing around the skunk cabbage is Herb Robert (Geranium robertanium) which is a pretty nasty invasive in those parts. If you find it again, crush some leaves and check for a foul odor. The plants that recieve more sun (or are old and mature) usually have red towards the tips. If it is determined to be Herb Robert, then crush some more leaves for good measure.

Mmmm...the leaves in the image look a bit broader than those in the link photo. Next trip I'll make an effort to secure some samples. :( :) :hihi:

I observed it only on the tape. The bird was too far away for me to see clearly with my naked eye. Savannah Sparrow looks promising as the ID, and I'll try and re-check the original tape today.

As promised; shaky, but it's all i got. :hihi:

YouTube - Savannah Sparrow ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYSb2c8_Ez8

Also, video of another bird I filmed on the trip. I suspect it's a flycatcher of some kind. >>> YouTube - Flycatcher ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cZxBcN7Ac4

:) :shrug:

I'm not 100% about this, but I believe the understory plant growing around ...:hihi:

Speaking of understory plants growing around, one of the moist abundant I encountered was the Common Snowberry - Symphoricarpos albus. PLANTS Profile for Symphoricarpos albus (common snowberry) | USDA PLANTS

As I am 100% on its ID, having trained some as bonsai, and as it was so abundant, I didn't bother to collect or photgraph it directly. Nonetheless, I found and isolated a photo of some from the lower-right corner of the Sword Fern photo and have it below & in the Gallery.

This plant is easy to start from cuttings, and is drought tolerant when established. Makes a great native plant to use in landscaping here in the NW. Left to its own devices, it grows long canes which droop back onto the ground. It tolerates trimming as a hedge, and then takes a more upright posture. Some say birds eat the berries, but I've never witnessed it, and have seen the berries hang all Winter into Spring untouched. They are not much more than a fluffy pith on the inside. That is all.:) :shrug:

I only inadvertantly captured these 'breaking brush' videos, as I left the camera in standby and branches apparently switched the record button. The brush I am breaking in this clip is almost entirely Common Snowberry.

YouTube - Breaking brush too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr3de4-KWYE

One other bit came to mind in our discussing the Camas or Quamash flowers/plants (camas is a mistranslation/pronumnciation of quamash :hihi: ), and that is the naming of the creek that runs through this forest as well as a nearby village. The village is called Camas and the creek is Lacamas Creek (la-camas). It's somehow satisfying to find a namesake still intact, as one is often unable to find a single oak anywhere near 'Oakcrest', or an Alder at 'Alderpark'. Speaking of Alder, I....will cover that presently. :( :) :shrug:

Nice one Turts!

When I read Lacamas Creek on the map, I pronounced it in my head as "lack-uh-moss". I like your take much more. :hihi:

I seemed to have missed the town of Camas completely while zooming. :shrug:

I admire the birding discussions. Birds are my weakness when it comes to Nature (bad vision). I've managed to learn a few calls and a few birds by vision, but birds such as the Savannah Sparrow would be a UFO to me. Nonetheless, this thread has inspired me a bit to break out of my shell (sorry Turtle) and learn a bit more about our feathery and flighty friends. :)

Nice one Turts!

When I read Lacamas Creek on the map, I pronounced it in my head as "lack-uh-moss". I like your take much more. :xx:

I seemed to have missed the town of Camas completely while zooming. :hihi:

I admire the birding discussions. Birds are my weakness when it comes to Nature (bad vision). I've managed to learn a few calls and a few birds by vision, but birds such as the Savannah Sparrow would be a UFO to me. Nonetheless, this thread has inspired me a bit to break out of my shell (sorry Turtle) and learn a bit more about our feathery and flighty friends. :)

:D Another convert! :evil: As to Lacamas, the locals say lack-uh-mus. :) As Cedars will attest, I'm an ameteur at the birding as well. UFO speakened here. :( (Don't miss our birding thread here >>>http://hypography.com/forums/earth-science/2339-birding.html)

Here's some more things up your alley in the meantime...more plants! I suspect Red Alder & Liveoak respectively, but I'm not yet married to those identifications. Turtle down! Turtle down! :( :shrug:

As promised; shaky, but it's all i got. :naughty:

YouTube - Savannah Sparrow ?

Also, video of another bird I filmed on the trip. I suspect it's a flycatcher of some kind. >>> YouTube - Flycatcher ?

:turtle: :)

Thankfully, I have invested in dsl now so I can watch the videos. 2 weeks ago I would have had to pass.

After watching the video, I think the yellow is real (but maybe a bit exaggerated due to light tricks). It also seems there is a crown stripe, which would make me lean towards Savannah Sparrow, rather than Song Sparrow.

The Flycatcher...

Have you considered Tree Swallow or Violet-green Swallow? They can appear dark when not lit well. The Flycatchers listed for your area dont seem to have the pronounced white throat and breast area this bird shows. Another possiblity is the Bank Swallow, at times the bird in the video seems to have a band across it breast, and other points it seems white.

It was the beak pokes in the track pic that got to you wasnt it? :naughty:

Aye...That and the fact that I've neglected a backyard bird count for years and I live in a virtual paradise for migratory birds.

You'd like my backyard Cedar, but from what I know, I'd like your backyard a heck more! :)

In any case, I plan on doing a "Environmental Study of my backyard" to the same feel as this thread. Your an inspiration Turtle! B)

B) Another convert! B) As to Lacamas, the locals say lack-uh-mus. B) As Cedars will attest, I'm an ameteur at the birding as well. UFO speakened here. B) (Don't miss our birding thread here >>>http://hypography.com/forums/earth-science/2339-birding.html)

Here's some more things up your alley in the meantime...more plants! I suspect Red Alder & Liveoak respectively, but I'm not yet married to those identifications. Turtle down! Turtle down! B) :)

I'd say spot on for the Alder...

The live oak I'm a bit more hesitant on...

I suppose it's coastal live oak, but it needs a scan as well. B)

• 2 weeks later...
I'd say spot on for the Alder...

The live oak I'm a bit more hesitant on...

I suppose it's coastal live oak, but it needs a scan as well. ;)

I agree that Live Oak isn't looking good for ID on this one:

I'll try & get some bark etc. next trip.

I got my branch slab sanded a bit, and made a 600 dpi scan of the rings, the bark, and a flat, and then combined them. I definitely believe it's garry oak because of the wide rays.

I left the image large so you can zoom in to see the details. I have added a ring count and other captions indicating rays. Here's a micrograph of white oak rays, looking every bit like my scan. White oak wood

click image to open enlarged view in window >>>

So I count 36 years +-2, and clearly the last 16 or 17 years show extremely slow growth. I found the branch on the ground, and from its condition I estimate it fell no more than 10 years ago.

:) :turtle

Looking at the pics of the rings, I was squinting trying to count so I'll just take your word for it. ;)

It got me thinking of a way to make the rings more distinct. I did a little searching and found this nifty little site which has recommendations for 'contrasting' the rings and even mentions color identifying sapwood from heartwood.

As far as Garry Oak goes, it's definitely not that. It's not even an oak judging the leaf more carefully. I can't tell from the scan if that's teeth I'm seeing or pixelation. :)

It looks as if the leaves are emmanating from a central location in a whorl of sorts. Can you confirm this and give more details if possible? ;)

Looking at the pics of the rings, I was squinting trying to count so I'll just take your word for it. ;)

It got me thinking of a way to make the rings more distinct. I did a little searching and found this nifty little site which has recommendations for 'contrasting' the rings and even mentions color identifying sapwood from heartwood.

As far as Garry Oak goes, it's definitely not that. It's not even an oak judging the leaf more carefully. I can't tell from the scan if that's teeth I'm seeing or pixelation. :)

It looks as if the leaves are emmanating from a central location in a whorl of sorts. Can you confirm this and give more details if possible? ;)

Whoa, whoa, whoa! We have 2 different plants under discussion here. The plant in the foliage photo is not the plant the limb scan came from.

To clarify, the plant in the foliage photo is still unidentified, even though I previously speculated that it was Live Oak. I agrree with you now, that it is not Live Oak.

The scan of the cut branch however, I have identified as Garry Oak (also called Oregon White Oak) from examining the pattern of wood and comparing it to identified samples ,as well as considering the vicinity I took it from. I can scan again at 1200 dpi for more detail, however to properly prepare the sample, progressively finer grits of sandpaper are required.

For the Oak, the deliniation of years in the rings is easily seen by looking to the lines of large vessels.

ring porous: large vessels present only in inner portion of an annual ring.
Plant Anatomy Glossary

These large vessels are within the Summer-wood growth ring-section.

PS The discussion in the link you give begins with a misnomer, wherin they say

“I'm presently trying to discern sapwood depth and annual growth increments from cottonwood cores. Can anyone advise me of reliable methods to distinguish the sapwood-heartwood and ring boundaries in these samples?”

Heartwood is a term that applies to the inner and older 'core' of a tree, and sapwood the outer rest of the tree, but neither apply to the differentiation between two types of wood found in a single year's growth. Typically, heartwood is darker and denser than sapwood for any given species.

The two types of wood within an individual year's ring however, are Summer-wood, and Winter-wood, or also called early-wood and late-wood. Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research, The University of Arizona