Science Forums

But you have 8x's more rep

You are confusing "Rep power" with "Reputation points". The rep power that is displayed indicates how much power a user has to impact another user's rep points.

The actual reputation point score is indicated by the blue squares (or sometimes red, if it is negative).

Admins have low rep power because we are exempt from the "spread thin" rule. Since we can theoretically give rep to the same person over and over, it woul dnot be fair for us to have a high reputation power. Most of us have fairly high reputation points, though...

Guest chendoh
You are confusing "Rep power" with "Reputation points". The rep power that is displayed indicates how much power a user has to impact another user's rep points.

The actual reputation point score is indicated by the blue squares (or sometimes red, if it is negative).

Admins have low rep power because we are exempt from the "spread thin" rule. Since we can theoretically give rep to the same person over and over, it woul dnot be fair for us to have a high reputation power. Most of us have fairly high reputation points, though...

Agreed.

I was only trying to show Michaelangelica....One way to follow the system.

To me it seems a balance of not only what you say, How you say it.

But, also includes how other Hypograrnians would listen to what you have to say.

Should I redirect my contest suggestion to another Thread?

I think its a great system.:rolleyes: It could be seen to favour those of high machiavellian intelligence who are good at schmoozing but theres sensible limitations in place. The only suggestion I might have is that perhaps you should be able to spec how many you give someone up to your rep power. That way the people with lots could feel happier about complimenting and encouraging more often without feeling that they have to hold back because of the size of the compliment they are awarding.

If you want to rep the same person you can do it fine once every 24 hrs (is that right?), all you have to do is find 9 other people with posts worthy of respect.:phones:

• 4 weeks later...
The only suggestion I might have is that perhaps you should be able to spec how many you give someone up to your rep power. That way the people with lots could feel happier about complimenting and encouraging more often without feeling that they have to hold back because of the size of the compliment they are awarding.

silverslith,

I think this is a great idea.

[commentator]Holy macoroni, ladies and gentleman. With one click of the mouse, InfiniteNow has pushed that member from a reputation of 30 all the way up to 46! That's some David Copperfield **** right there. Un Bee Leave Ibble...[/commentator] :)

silverslith,

I think this is a great idea.

[commentator]Holy macoroni, ladies and gentleman. With one click of the mouse, InfiniteNow has pushed that member from a reputation of 30 all the way up to 46! That's some David Copperfield **** right there. Un Bee Leave Ibble...[/commentator] ;)

urr im pretty sure that would have taken 2 clicks - and a few keyboard strokes too..

Yeah I like the idea, it would let the members with higher rep have more freedom in commending others. But I could see it causing other problems..

Guest chendoh
My Gosh, I apprieciate the one you gave me!

Mabe, We can have a donation made to a worthy; for lack of a better word, 'cause'.......

I only have 12 reps right now, but I would be willing to donate 11pts or 11$ or 11euros, to something we believe in.

I think it would also be okay to save one 0r 50 pts. for a mother....

Might be a good idea, and also to write a bit more about how you think we should do it in practice.

Tormod, How secure is the Paypal system we have now?, for sponsorships?

(you could PM me on this one)

I understand sponsorships can be sent to TBD, but in no way should he be imposed upon for this task.

The donations could be made to Hypography, or a worthy cause, they could be set up on PPal, with a few check boxes for general charities, and Hypography.

If someone gave more then, their power would stay at 50.,

If I have 68 and decided to donate 18 or 68 bucks, my points would stay at 50.

On any donation, A members points area should have some type of embellishment just like the arcade trophy. Maybe keep it a trophy, only make it Silver.

Tormod, How secure is the Paypal system we have now?, for sponsorships?

Paypal is very secure, and it has features like disputes and refunds which are much easier to deal with online than by calling a credit card company etc.

As for using it to trade reputation, I would not support that. First of all PayPal takes a fee (3% or so).

TBD and I have discussed a "marketplace for ideas" which would involve getting credits for being an active member (as in publishing content, helping others, answering questions etc) rather than just handing out reputation points. This requires some planning though but it is in the works, so to say.

• 1 month later...
Okay - I'm sending you virtual rep.........NOW!

Golly. Thanks B. You bumped me WAY up with that! You're swell. How come you didn't send virtual rep to anyone else though? :sheep:

I've actually had the exact same thought as TFS regarding someone with below zero rep points increasing the rep score of someone they neg rep. It's silly, but would be pretty funny. :sheep:

• 5 weeks later...