Science Forums

Iron Deficiency

I had a blood test the other week after I went to the doctor with extreme fatigue and persistant headaches. The results I got back were good for blood cell count, liver function, kidney function and thyroid function, but my iron levels are very low. My doctor said to increase my consumption of red meat and green vegetables, and someone I work with said to drink orange juice, presumably because vitamin C increases iron absorption.

Apparently many people are iron deficient, so if you're one of them please share what you did to boost your levels.

I used to take an iron supplement containing 15mg of Iron Phospate.

That might help.

Iron deficiency symptoms:

- Pale skin.

- White or brittle fingernails.

- Tiredness.

- Sleeplessness.

- Loss of appetite.

- Itchiness.

- Frequent Illnesses.

Main Functions:

- Boosts energy and reduces fatigue.

- Essential for healthy blood.

- Strengthens the immune system.

- Healthy growth and development.

Sources:

- Fortified breakfast cereal

- Liver

- Dried fruit

- Sardines

- Canned Tuna

- Parsley

- Watercress

RDI: 14mg

I think you really have to take suppliments

I am told chelated iron is better absorbed and easier to take.

Iron deficiency is dangerous for the fetus in pregnancy; are you female?

My wife had problems when she was pregnant; the iron tabs reacted badly with her and she hates silver beet and could never eat enough spinach

The dietitian at the local hospital could give you some clues on foods with high iron (or the net)

There is no bleeding is there?

Are you taking aspirin, ibuprofin or blood thinners?

I think you really have to take suppliments

Iron Deficiency is also called Sideropenia by the way.

Supplements would normally be recommended, ones such as Ferrous Sulfate, Chelate and Iron (II) Gluconate ( Fergon, and Simron ).

Red Meats and Green Vegetables are the natural sources, and also brown rice, Kidney Beans...,Potatoes, and peas are just to name a few.

Also, try to improve Iron intake through eating foods high in wheat/grain like Oatmeal etc.

This is all pointless and irrelevant unless you take in Ascorbic Acid C6H806 , which is a great antioxidant too. You'll find this vitamin in Oranges, actually all Citrus Fruits which are the best natural forms of it, many green vegetables also contain Vitamin C like Broccoli.

Wow, thanks for the information guys!

There is no bleeding is there?

Are you taking aspirin, ibuprofin or blood thinners?

I am female, but not pregnant. There's no bleeding, and my blood count is okay. Not taking anything that would thin my blood.

Iron deficiency symptoms:

- Pale skin.

- White or brittle fingernails.

- Tiredness.

- Sleeplessness.

- Loss of appetite.

- Itchiness.

- Frequent Illnesses.

Interesting list. I didn't realise that frequent illness is a sign of iron deficiency, but I mentioned to someone a couple of months ago that I've been quite ill lately - not severely ill, but many minor colds.

Red Meats and Green Vegetables are the natural sources, and also brown rice, Kidney Beans...,Potatoes, and peas are just to name a few.

Also, try to improve Iron intake through eating foods high in wheat/grain like Oatmeal etc.

This is all pointless and irrelevant unless you take in Ascorbic Acid C6H806 , which is a great antioxidant too. You'll find this vitamin in Oranges, actually all Citrus Fruits which are the best natural forms of it, many green vegetables also contain Vitamin C like Broccoli.

Oysters are pretty iron rich. Three ounces per day is enough for your needs. :)

I thought my diet was quite good, but now I can see that it needs improvement! And I love all those foods you mentioned LJP07, but I don't know if I can eat the oysters, ronthepon, no matter how good they are for me!

I had a blood test the other week after I went to the doctor with extreme fatigue and persistant headaches. The results I got back were good for blood cell count, liver function, kidney function and thyroid function, but my iron levels are very low. My doctor said to increase my consumption of red meat and green vegetables, and someone I work with said to drink orange juice, presumably because vitamin C increases iron absorption.

Apparently many people are iron deficient, so if you're one of them please share what you did to boost your levels.

I prolly wouldn't blame persistent headaches on iron deficiency , imho..

But women tend to be more iron deficient than men.

Perhaps through menstrual bleeding

Iron is easy enough to ingest.

Broccolli and steak :)

It takes months to rebuild your Iron levels.

ferrous sulfate supplements, but not on an empty stomach. Grapefruit juice increases absorbtion of minerals, so keep that in mind.

Otherwise, you're pretty good to go. ;)

Monomer,

You're a well read and intelligent woman, so I suggest you may gain a lot of insight from reading the information available at the following link:

Iron

The most common dietary deficiency worldwide is iron, affecting half a billion persons. However, this problem affects women and children more. A growing child is increasing the red blood cell mass, and needs additional iron. Women of reproductive age who are menstruating require double the amount of iron that men do, but normally the efficiency of iron absorbtion from the gastrointestinal tract can increase to meet this demand. Also, a developing fetus draws iron from the mother, totaling 200 to 300 mg at term, so extra iron is needed in pregnancy. An infant requires formula with 4 - 12 mg/L of iron. Iron in breast milk is more readily absorbed.

I prolly wouldn't blame persistent headaches on iron deficiency , imho..

The doctor said (and I agree) that they were tension headaches. I've been a little stressed lately.

But women tend to be more iron deficient than men.

Perhaps through menstrual bleeding

Yeah, I'd say that would be the reason. Unless it's a serious wound, men never really lose blood.

Iron is easy enough to ingest.

Broccolli and steak :)

It takes months to rebuild your Iron levels.

Months? That's probably why I need another blood test in 6 months to check the levels.

Broccoli and steak... now I feel like eating a stir fry...

ferrous sulfate supplements, but not on an empty stomach. Grapefruit juice increases absorbtion of minerals, so keep that in mind.

Thanks for the info! I don't think I've ever tried grapefruit juice, but I'll give it a go.;)

Monomer,

You're a well read and intelligent woman, so I suggest you may gain a lot of insight from reading the information available at the following link:

Iron

Thanks InfiniteNow. It was interesting to read and I did gain a lot of insight. I know I learnt about iron in human physiology at uni, but that was many years ago now.

Here's some more information on iron:

WHFoods: iron

The doctor said (and I agree) that they were tension headaches. I've been a little stressed lately.

Try a long soak in a bath with a little lavender Essential Oil, a few candles a long martini -wait a minute, I might join you!:)

Or try a drop or two LEO rubbed into the temples.

Use Essential oil 100% Not perfume Oil.

Failing that; piss him off if he is stressing you too much:)

Yeah, I'd say that would be the reason. Unless it's a serious wound, men never really lose blood.

Lets not be too sexist here! Who fights most of the wars?:)

My wife found some iron tabs very constipating

You must watch iron levels if you fall pregnant.

Some Aussie research shows it affects the fetus very badly.

Just watch who you invite into that bath above:)

Thanks for the info! I don't think I've ever tried grapefruit juice, but I'll give it a go.:)

Try eating a Miracle Fruit/berry before you do; then it tastes delicious.

Of course if you really want to get stressed you could look at what Iron deficiency is a symptom of, on the Web:eek_big:

Iron deficiency anemia - WrongDiagnosis.com

I have very low iron, also... I used to try to donate blood, but each time I was turned away - my iron typically registers around 30 - you have to have at least 38 to donate. Sometimes it's less than 30 - much less. I had been assuming that this was from having been a vegetarian for so many years. One day I happened to mention it to my dad, who told me, "Oh, by the way, didn't you know you've always had an iron deficiency?" Well, no, I didn't. I have tried to take iron supplements but the pills really hurt my stomach - like dropping pins and needles in there. But what I've found is that if you can do red meats, go for it - but also beans and green vegetables, as others have said, have iron, but the darker the color (black beans, dark greens like Spinach), the better the iron. Someone earlier mentioned headaches, and I wonder if my iron imbalance could be behind my debilitating migraines - I had never considered this until I read that post. Anyway, another iron source is raisins. Mmmm! (Unfortunately, they hurt my stomach, too... sigh)

Try a long soak in a bath with a little lavender Essential Oil, a few candles a long martini -wait a minute, I might join you!:)

Or try a drop or two LEO rubbed into the temples.

Use Essential oil 100% Not perfume Oil.

Failing that; piss him off if he is stressing you too much:)

I haven't had a bath in ages. I've wanted to but with the water restrictions I've stuck with a quick shower. The last time I shared a bath with someone was with my sister when I was 10!

I'm stressed because of job disatisfaction and my sister's wedding preparations are causing tension in the family, but that's another thread.

You must watch iron levels if you fall pregnant.

Some Aussie research shows it affects the fetus very badly.

Just watch who you invite into that bath above:)

Well, I'd be safe with my sister.... :)

Of course if you really want to get stressed you could look at what Iron deficiency is a symptom of, on the Web:eek_big:

Iron deficiency anemia - WrongDiagnosis.com

Thanks Michaelangelica. Gotta love the internet - so much info out there.

I have very low iron, also... I used to try to donate blood, but each time I was turned away - my iron typically registers around 30 - Sometimes it's less than 30 - much less.

That's where mine's at. I wouldn't have thought I had a deficiency, so I'm glad I had the blood test.

I have tried to take iron supplements but the pills really hurt my stomach - like dropping pins and needles in there. But what I've found is that if you can do red meats, go for it - but also beans and green vegetables, as others have said, have iron, but the darker the color (black beans, dark greens like Spinach), the better the iron.

That's a rather unpleasant reaction to the pills! I don't mind red meat, and I thought I ate enough of it, but last night I worked out my serves per week and I'm eating less than I should. I'm not a fan of spinach, but I'll try to incorporate it into some meals.

Someone earlier mentioned headaches, and I wonder if my iron imbalance could be behind my debilitating migraines - I had never considered this until I read that post. Anyway, another iron source is raisins. Mmmm! (Unfortunately, they hurt my stomach, too... sigh)

Michaelangelica's link mentions headaches as a symptom of iron deficiency:

Because of the gradual progression of iron deficiency anemia, many patients are initially asymptomatic except for symptoms of any underlying condition. They tend not to seek medical treatment until anemia is severe. At advanced stages, decreased Hb levels and the consequent decrease in the blood’s oxygen-carrying capacity cause the patient to develop dyspnea on exertion, fatigue, listlessness, pallor, inability to concentrate, irritability, headache, and a susceptibility to infection. Decreased oxygen perfusion causes the heart to compensate with increased cardiac output and tachycardia.

I don't think my headaches are a result of low iron levels, but as I increase my levels I'll monitor my headache frequency and magnitude.

Well, I'd be safe with my sister.... ;)

LOL

Well I don't know; genetics is advancing. . at such a pace. . these days ya know.:)

Who wants a safe life anyhow.

Bathe in Asses milk! Good enough for o'ld cleo patra ya know!

(That's about all the liquid Eastern states will leave you anyhow!)

Watch all the beaut movies on weddings!

That must help?

What can go wrong??:)

At my wedding we deliberately had it very formal, candles etc, limited the drink, (Most rels. were Irish ) to wine at the table. Kept it small, 60 people at reception smorgaboad lovely food

Well the pre-dinner drinks they got though 4 cases of scotch and cases of other assorted spirits that took me a year to pay off.

Fortunately we left before most of the fights started.

My mother and two of her sisters had fights with their respective partners and consequently (eventually) shared a taxi home (Though they lived no-where near each other; but remember they were Irish)

They in tern had a bitter row in the taxi and as a result did not talk to each other for 3 years.

Much much later-"I won't talk about it!"- found out that the Bitter Row was about weather my Grandmother -who died when I was 2-

Was or Was-not a "Blessed Saint in Heaven"

I do hope this helps with your anxiety about the wedding:)

As for the Job I assume you are young. Young people in Oz are being taken advantage of muchly in Oz these days.

I told my young daughter work like hell ; put your head up in 12 months if they don't appreciate you move on. She just has just moved on , sadly because she loved her job and had a lot to offer but now in the new job she has doubled her salary and been given a lot more responsibility. (Which for some V strange reason she wanted- must be the Irish genes).

I sent this fatherly advice to my girls recently

I hope it helps you too

http://upchucky.net/~upchucky/flash-fun/farmer-donkey.swf

I had minor anemia at one time, which contributed to a lot of fatigue. (It was work related. Not eating well at that time.) I increased the amount of aerobic exercise (running) that I did and ate more red meat and vegetables. It went away after a few months.

Aerobic exercise promotes the formation of blood cells to carry extra oxygen, and the increase in blood flow will boost oxygen and nutrients to your brain and the rest of your body. It won't cure the anemia, but could help you recover faster, by encouraging your body to put the extra iron into the red blood cells. It might be best to consult your doctor if you want to consider this.

This site has good advice, IMO:

How Is Anemia Treated?

Do you drink tea, coffee, or cocoa? If you drink any of them, the polyphenolic antioxidants in them, the tannic acids and catechins, chelate metal ions and can hinder iron absorption and lead to anemia if your diet is not rich in iron to make up for the loss. If so, cut back on tea, coffee, or cocoa until your iron levels are back to normal.

If you also are not averse to eating seaweed, such as in sushi, miso soup, or seaweed salad, you could try to include some every day. Many types of seaweed are rich in iron as well as other minerals and vitamins.

LOL

At my wedding we deliberately had it very formal, candles etc, limited the drink, (Most rels. were Irish ) to wine at the table. Kept it small, 60 people at reception smorgaboad lovely food

Well the pre-dinner drinks they got though 4 cases of scotch and cases of other assorted spirits that took me a year to pay off.

Fortunately we left before most of the fights started.

My mother and two of her sisters had fights with their respective partners and consequently (eventually) shared a taxi home (Though they lived no-where near each other; but remember they were Irish)

They in tern had a bitter row in the taxi and as a result did not talk to each other for 3 years.

Much much later-"I won't talk about it!"- found out that the Bitter Row was about weather my Grandmother -who died when I was 2-

Was or Was-not a "Blessed Saint in Heaven"

I do hope this helps with your anxiety about the wedding:)

Now I'm thinking that the tension in my family isn't that bad! The bickering is mostly about money - My sister wants a fancy wedding but she's got no money, so who will pay, who refuses to pay, what will they pay for... etc.. Weddings always seem to bring the best out in people...:)

As for the Job I assume you are young. Young people in Oz are being taken advantage of muchly in Oz these days.

I told my young daughter work like hell ; put your head up in 12 months if they don't appreciate you move on. She just has just moved on , sadly because she loved her job and had a lot to offer but now in the new job she has doubled her salary and been given a lot more responsibility. (Which for some V strange reason she wanted- must be the Irish genes).

I'm appreciated in my job, but I feel like I'm not really using my skills to their full capacity. I'm thinking about the skills I have and in which area(s) I can best use them so that I have more job satisfaction.

I sent this fatherly advice to my girls recently

I hope it helps you too

http://upchucky.net/~upchucky/flash-fun/farmer-donkey.swf

:( Some good advice!