Science Forums

Scientific Study: Music Makes You Smart

maikeru

I learned bass clef when I played trombone (about 15 years ago). I never learned treble clef and I cannot read either now. :thumbs_up

I like tablature when I need to learn guitar riffs, but it's just not the same...

Piano and cello are even more fun with their range stretching across most of all three!

I haven't given up on hope of eventually being able to "read on the fly"... But it sure is alot harder than learning songs by ear!

I seem to recall a couple of posts above that brought up the point that the right music while studying improves the results.

I'm inclined to agree that listening to music also helps to make a person smarter by enabeling the listener to focus on the task at hand.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See I never knew what Algorithms are, but you can't actually count, and it would ruin a song to try counting beats etc.

From a percussionists point of view this quickly leads me to believe you don't know much about music.

Assuming your listening to music with a percussive rhythm section, the sole purpose of the drummer is to keep *count* of the song. It doesn't just apply to drummers though, any musical instrument can be played in triplets, 1/8th notes, 1/4 notes, and those can be played in any of the almost infinite time signatures.

That's a lot of counting. :phones:

If you compare various types of music, the neural reaction will diverge to different parts of the brain, depending on the music. Something with a driving beat will get the body in motion. Some music is all sentiment getting the feelings, i.e., limbic brain, working. Classical music will have an impact on the mind. It tries to create precise order. Hip-Hop or rap is for the more primal parts of the brain connected to instinct. Jazz is sort of interesting in that some of its chaotic beats scrambles the mind, so the heart can journey. The old acid rock was there to trigger the imagination. Folk music triggers the emotions of a by-gone era when humans were more natural but struggling. Military music is a combination of beat for the body and order for the mind.

Assuming your listening to music with a percussive rhythm section, the sole purpose of the drummer is to keep *count* of the song. It doesn't just apply to drummers though, any musical instrument can be played in triplets, 1/8th notes, 1/4 notes, and those can be played in any of the almost infinite time signatures.

That's a lot of counting. ;)

It is a lot of counting |: ...over...and... :| :doh:

It's been argued that mathematics makes one more intelligent. Perhaps rhythm (and the math thereof [or therefrom]) holds an answer to the intelligence gain from listening to music... :hihi:

• 1 month later...

freeztar, "Of course Mozart is going to be better for the mind than Brittany Spears or Crazy Frog."

Apparently Mozart is especially good for your brain. I think it's something to do with it being rhythmic but also very complex and your mind sort of sees it as a puzzle. What this actually does is make the two halves of your brain work together more (especially at the time of listening to it) which is why people say to listen to classical music while studying, you learn the concepts in a logical and artistic way which leads to a fuller understanding.

That's my understanding of it anyway.

BECCA

freeztar, "Of course Mozart is going to be better for the mind than Brittany Spears or Crazy Frog."

Apparently Mozart is especially good for your brain. I think it's something to do with it being rhythmic but also very complex and your mind sort of sees it as a puzzle. What this actually does is make the two halves of your brain work together more (especially at the time of listening to it) which is why people say to listen to classical music while studying, you learn the concepts in a logical and artistic way which leads to a fuller understanding.

That's my understanding of it anyway.

BECCA

That's very interesting Becca!

Is it just a theory of yours or are you aware of studies that demonstrate this?

Apparently Mozart is especially good for your brain. I think it's something to do with it being rhythmic but also very complex and your mind sort of sees it as a puzzle. What this actually does is make the two halves of your brain work together more (especially at the time of listening to it) which is why people say to listen to classical music while studying, you learn the concepts in a logical and artistic way which leads to a fuller understanding. ...

That's very interesting Becca!

Is it just a theory of yours or are you aware of studies that demonstrate this?

Not sure what Becca has in mind here, but thought you might both enjoy this source if you have never encountered it. It is a challenging read, but well worth the effort. ;) :turtle:

Gödel, Escher, Bach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid (commonly GEB) is a Pulitzer Prize-winning book by Douglas Hofstadter, [1] described by the author as "a metaphorical fugue on minds and machines in the spirit of Lewis Carroll".[2]

On its surface, GEB examines logician Kurt Gödel, artist M. C. Escher and composer Johann Sebastian Bach, discussing common themes in their work and lives. At a deeper level, the book is a detailed and subtle exposition of concepts fundamental to mathematics, symmetry, and intelligence. ...

Escher, Bach
My personal faves in their genres!

Bach for his Six Violoncello suites which I never tire of listening too (as performed by Casals....Yo YO and most others I've heard lack something in their technique that strips the life out of the pieces...music without life is merely noise for the sake of noise.)

As for Escher need I say more.....